myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's with these super-stretchy, super-tight wetsuits?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: What's with these super-stretchy, super-tight wetsuits? Reply with quote

How the hell do you get into these super-stretchy, super-tight wetsuits? The first one I tried a few years ago, a neck entry suit, seemed to fit adequately in the store, but the first time I tried to get it off in the real (i.e., damp) world, I ended up deliberately tearing it apart to get the damn thing off after sailing. There was no WAY I would or could have put it on again for those elusive, magical sunset sessions.

Based on its industry-leader reputation, I tried on an O’Neill Psycho Freak 4/3 back zip ZEN ThermoButter 3 sized on the roomy side for easier donning and doffing. Many very sweaty minutes into the donning workout I tried to get one arm into it in the hopes that the rest of the suit would follow. Silly me. This XLShort might fit a 10 yo girl, but there’s no way it’s going on my 180#, 5’8-1/2” frame (it’s supposed to fit at 200# and 5'10-1/2"). With or without slick-finish compression shirt and pants intended to aid the process, and having watched donning videos, it was not even close to going over my torso. I don’t do 10-cammed sails with skin-tight elastic luff sleeves (can you imagine?), and I don’t do wetsuits sized for children dipped in Vaseline.

I’ve ordered an XXL intended to fit guys 50 pounds heavier and almost half a foot taller than I. It’s gonna look strange with all four cuffs rolled up, but if I can get it on and off without valets, Vaseline, and scissors, I win. I don’t have the patience or the energy to waste sailing time fighting a full-body Chinese finger trap.

I don’t even want to THINK about a neck-entry suit.

I was hoping this suit would replace my aging neoprene dry suit for early and late season, but I may just keep using the old-fashioned, low-tech wetsuits and steamers that slip on and off like sweat pants and shirts. I have plenty of them, and the water is getting near their temperature range.

What am I missing? Is there a trick to it not shown in the videos? Do most people have valets to get these damned things on and off? Are we supposed to put them on for dawn patrol and leave them on until long after sunset? Are we expected to just call it a day if we have to take a dump, or do the unthinkable and keep on shreddin'? Do most users not know that this level of effort is unnecessary for suits that actually FIT? Does KY jelly damage neoprene or seam glue? Does KY jelly come in 55-gallon drums?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are one funny guy Smile

i have ALMOST given up on wetsuits with zips in the back
have an OLD 2 piece BARE that zips both parts in the front
people laugh at me for this old outdated suit, but ...
none of that "if the glove does not fit, we must acquit" stuff Smile

i do still have a NP zip in back suit
that i probably should have been wearing when i did my 2 hour swim in 59 degree F weather !!
last weekend - rather than just the farmer john portion of the 2 piece ...
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe OJ's lawyer drew up O'Neill's size charts.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When putting the suit on, use socks on your feet
Use same socks or a plastic bag on your hands.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hand and feet cuffs go on and off quite easily, thanks to this suit's extreme elasticity. It's every last cm between the hands and feet that take 15 minutes of heavy sweat and extreme reaching to get the suit on and eliminate the thick, binding folds. I have to pinch every little wrinkle and pull like hell to smooth the suit out enough to get its neck up to MY neck. It does not slide on bare skin or on compression pants and shirts.

And when ya finally get its neck to the wearer's neck, finding and pulling that over-the-head flap over the head is almost impossible without help. I see now why so many people need help with that step, no matter how carefully they plan ahead when putting the suits on.

I am certain the suit's going to rip at some point in the not too distant future even if I cut my fingernails down to the quick. Even if it doesn't, I'm amazed how many people think 15 minutes of HARD, sweaty, contorted, intense labor is acceptable. My Promotion neoprene dry suit takes me maybe two easy minutes to slip on, and less to remove ... until I get to removing the DAMNED ankle cuffs. That takes many minutes of thumb-dislocating cursing unless I wear panty hose or Wetsox (Google them; they're a great product).

I'll reserve judgement until I compare the 2XL with the XLS, but progress is not always synonymous with New and Improved. Unfortunately, this suit isn't made in a 2XLS size.

SIZE HEIGHT WEIGHT CHEST WAIST

XLS 5′8.5″-5′10.5″ 180-200 lbs 42.5-44.5″ 34.5-36.5″

2XL 6′0″-6′2″ 210-230 lbs 44.5-46.5″ 36.5-38.5″
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suit is the same , perhaps a earlier model. The flap is a pain, to do it yourself you must assure its not caught while you raise the chest/back area. It’s easies if you pull over your head, prior to arms going in, which yo then choke yourself. THE zipper works amazing well.

From all your issues , seems this is not the suit for you. Pro Motion is near.WTF, over.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that. The shop said arms before flap, but I'll try anything.

Another possibility is sewing a thin lanyard/ribbon to the flap so I can find and raise it.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you for real?

tard.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  472.52 KB
 Viewed:  27586 Time(s)

tard.gif

DW

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An awful lot of old windsurfers wear wetsuits too big. I love the technobutter suits.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW wrote:
An awful lot of old windsurfers wear wetsuits too big. I love the technobutter suits.

Seasoned , would be a more politically correct term than old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: