myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's with these super-stretchy, super-tight wetsuits?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm old, but I've owned scores of wetsuits and professionally tested countless more. I know what I like, and get very testy when
I can't easily get one on and off. There's just no need to fight a suit when it has beaucoup good competitors. Me + a warm day + a neoprene straight jacket =

It's just not necessary to put up with stuff that fights back so hard. I'll see soon enough how the two best size choices work, all factors considered. It sounds like some of you have never experienced the joy of a warm suit that goes on and especially off with almost zero effort.
alap

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the back flap... I pull the line with the loop (e.g. figure eight) through the flap, then I can easily catch it behind, and after putting my head through the flap I take off this line. I used to attach the car key on another end of the line.

Last edited by alap on Sat May 26, 2018 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Oneil wetsuits Reply with quote

Mike I have been wearing their suits for years wear 2xl and I am 5-11 180 lbs. got 6-5-4 heat,4-3 psycho tech both with built in hoods.a 3mm unhoohed suit and a shorty all suits are chest zip.their size charts need adjustment.got to do the Houdini straight jacket act to get shoulders off on is no problem.my next cold water suit is going to be Hotline ULC biceps to bicep zipper.joe
philodog

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
There's just no need to fight a suit when it has beaucoup good competitors.

These tight suits are mainly designed for surfing where flexibility in the arms and legs is very important and yes, you need some yoga skills to get into them. The Psychos are my all time favorite suit for surfing but another disadvantage to them is the lack if windskin (not as flexible) and hence much colder in the wind. Stick to looser windskin suits like Neil Pryde.
jpf18

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
like Neil Pryde.
Good luck with that, I'm in the market for a full size 4/3 and the local shop tells me today NP has no size L's to sell right now (this is the US, who knows perhaps they have some stock in Europe).
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretchy top loaders are great for surfing, I won't buy another now that I've ditched the paddling.
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Bit the bullet, got one of these stretchy skinsuits... Reply with quote

Out of options to get an old school "american cut" NP or the like, I bit the bullet this weekend and got one of these new style skinsuits (my naming). Compared to a rubber-semidry, they are all lighter and comfier indeed. But to me, solve a problem that didn't need solving.
If you're the beer drinking type like yours truly - prepare to look hideous on the beach - put that harness on quickly /sarc
I settled on an Ion that still comes with a conventional back zip. That way, I can use a rashguard as a base layer and pull the wetsuit over the chest without the rashguard running up the back in the process. As I had hoped, sweat or no, the suit slides nicely over the rashguard thus minimizing frustration over fighting that newfangled stuff.
(I also started! trying on a step-through-the-neck style Prolimit, Total no go for me)
HELLO INDUSTRY PLANNERS: Consider most ppl are working desk jobs to be able to afford all that it entails to hit the water windsurfing. Say "speak for yourself there pal", I'lll maintain us kinds of weekend worrier sailors aren't necessarily of the skinny 18yo team rider variety.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backzips forever for me . Even those are not easy.
I like the the ripcurl flashbombs I use a piece of velcro strap
to pull up the back flap so I don't have to be a yoga master
to find and pull it up. I have tried to try on those suits with all
the inner panels I can't even get close to getting in one.
I was using o neil heats until they went to the impossible red
zipper.

the ripcurl flashbombs are hot you can go a thickness smaller
with them . 3/2 more like a 4/3 in a regular construction.
I tried most of the major brands stocked in local surf shops and
they all fit different best to find he one that works for you.

Had custom suits made a couple of times but they don't seem to
make those in the new materials around here.
underwood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the switch from promotion to Ion 5 years ago and I love them. The 5/4 is a great winter suit, easy to don and a little more difficult to doff. Kind of like peeling offf a vacuum bag. But it only takes a couple of minutes. Their back zippers aren’t bad. I own 5 or 6 different varieties and am impressed with them all. Very warm, super comfy and they hold up well. I’m impressed with the “technology” of the newer suits and I have not experienced the difficulties iso mentioned.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mistake my silence for apathy. I'm reading the thread, using the suit on the water, considering all your comments, and trying to free up some time to respond to all of them collectively. I managed to score what seems to be the last two Psycho Freak TB3 suits anywhere near my size in the US, picked the best fit, and sold the other one unused (still tagged) to a bud for what I paid for it (I could have returned it for a full refund) at a 15% discount. Win/Win.

More to come, some of it useful to many folks wearing suits of any brand in this style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: