myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RV takeover of Berkeley Marina point parking
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: RV takeover of Berkeley Marina point parking Reply with quote

Please send complaints to marina@cityofberkeley.info Email is requested over phone calls.
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. It really is getting ridiculous with the Homeless/RV's taking up all the parking spots.

I can just imagine what's going to happen when HLS closes in a month - it's going to go Mad Max in the parking lot!

Maybe Berzerkely would loan us HLS for a windsurfing club house???

dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostradamus says the new Berkeley to SF ferry goes there.
He hinted that our new parking lot will be beset with homeless parking and encampment.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking scofflaws come in all colors and creeds. As far as attendants at our new Windsurfing Resort, whatever works. As long as they get the downhaul right, I'm cool.
ronadler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Hs. Lordships illegal encampment Reply with quote

I sent this letter to the Mayor and Marina managment. More letters are needed to keep this from being the next Peoples Park!

Dear Mayor Arreguin and managers of Berkeley Marina,

I am sure it has already been brought to your attention by other upset Berkeley waterfront users, that the large RV/homeless encampment recently displaced from Marina Boulevard at the Marina has moved to the parking lot at Hs. Lordship Restaurant. Unlike the previous encampment this invasion definitely threatens legitimate use of this area by families and children at the nearby adventure playground, fishermen, tourists, hikers/runners, and a large number of watersports enthusiasts. While taking photographs of the area (attached) I was verbally harrassed by men hanging out around the encampment. Break-ins on parked vehicles have long been a problem here and will only get worse. The usual accumulation of trash and waste will only get worse with time as this homeless group expands and lays claim to the area after the impending closure of Hs Lordships. If allowed to continue this situation will sharply degrade the recreational experience of this area's many recreational users. I have been enjoying this area for 40 years and despair over seeing this unique Berkeley resource going down the drain.

At the very least Berkeley police should enforce the prohibited use of this public area for overnight camping. At best the City of Berkeley needs to find a more appropriate location for these unfortunate people. I urge you to act before Hs. Lordships parking lot becomes the next Peoples Park!
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famed Yosemite climber, Eric Beck, once said, “at both ends of the social spectrum lies a leisure class “
volley1961

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we keep politics out of windsurfing!
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volley1961 wrote:
Can't we keep politics out of windsurfing!

What politics are you referring to? The questions are: will there be sufficient parking for users, will the parking be secure from criminals, and will City enforce existing regulations about long term/overnight parking and garbage/needle disposal?

Nothing political.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has me freaked out. if i were a junky, the best place to shoot would be below the level of eyesight. say, perhaps, 10 feet below the parking lot. right in the launch path.

and when i was done, the best place to hide a used needle would be in the bottom of the little pool of water between hs lordships and the jetty wall.

is hep c curable yet?
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny you mention that, last time I launched at H's Lordships I found a needle floating amongst the other flotsam. But that was after a big storm and may have washed down a street drain (after all street drains go to the bay)? Sadly needles seem to becoming commonplace- a reflection of the Opioid epidemic? (sorry more politics, I'm off-topic)

My bigger concern is that when the City shutters the restaurant that the cove not be fenced off. It would be too easy to run some "temporary" chain link fencing across the entire peninsula from one shore to the other. We just got over 4 years of that sort of thing at TI and I'm not eager to see another relatively nice launch blocked due to government planning / inaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: