myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
easiest Starboard team foil setup to learn on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsportsrule4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: easiest Starboard team foil setup to learn on Reply with quote

I bought the Starboard team foil to learn on as it comes with 2 different fuselages and 4 different wings... for just a little more money then the GT foil. My question is does anyone have experience with these foils and can tell me the easiest setup to learn on?

Last year I tried the GT setup which consists of a 75cm fuselage, the large front wing and the large rear wing. This seemed 'ok' - but what did I know as it was my first time trying to foil.

People who have experience foiling told me to start with the larger, 115cm fuselage, large front wing and smaller rear wing. They said this because the longer fuselage would give me more stability fore and aft.

I've been struggling with this setup and since they sell the GT setup (small fuselage larger wings) as a more introductory setup - I'm wondering if this is the configuration I should start with.

Does anyone have experience I can learn from?

thanks.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have both sets used in Miami, longer fusilage is better, specially in the beginning.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big winds board shop has a great video explaining that foil set. Its under windsurf foiling Foil guide.
us44eric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi boardsportsrule4 --

I think Sergio and NOVAAN both have some great input. In response to your question, I have some experience that I can share, too. And I believe in sufficient wind the best and easiest Team Set configuration is the ~GT (Big front wing, big back wing, 75cm fuselage). (I say "~GT" vs. "GT" because Team Set only has the 95cm mast, but the official "GT" comes with a shorter, easier 75cm mast I believe.) Anyway, below is much more detail on my experience if interested.

I started foiling in March using the ~GT configuration of a Starboard Foil Team Set. I sailed in Berkeley that first month in often 10-20mph winds, sometimes less, sometimes more.

I'm a Bay Area racer, and my intent was always to course race, and get as fast as possible as soon as possible on the Race configuration (Big front, small back, 115cm fuselage). Still, I made an informed decision to start with the ~GT (Big front, big back, 75cm fuselage). I was aware that the Race configuration was said to be fairly stable, too, and do-able for learning. However, given I had generally plenty of wind, I believed it would be easier to start on the GT, more conducive to reaching and freeride, and would also help me establish more trim control and sensitivity, i.e. establish some fundamentals before moving to the more powerful, more upwind/downwind Race setup. Walk before I run I guess.

I used the GT configuration 9 times and got reasonably comfortable. I began on a formula board with front straps and no rears. (I actually had one chicken strap installed -- not to use (yet) but a handy way to connect my leash.) I'll also note that I found it important to find the mast track position that balanced best with the foil. I started middle, but would have to be to very back foot biased to trim right. So I moved track position back and zeroed in on a sweet spot with pretty good balance. I started out reaching, but pretty soon began to work on going upwind and downwind. After 7 sessions, I added rear straps and liked it for going upwind hard in wind.

I was digging foiling, too, quite an amazing sensation I thought, and when working, so much smoother going steep upwind and downwind gliding above the chop vs. POUND POUND POUND POUND on a Formula board at relatively high speeds and steep wind angles in Bay chop (though I very much appreciated formula). I could have easily continued learning and having fun on the GT. However, racing was starting soon, and I wanted to get into course racing shape.

At that point, I moved to the Race configuration. OH MY! That setup was much more powerful and REALLY wanted to go upwind, and at first felt like a bit of a bucking bronco in comparison going downwind. While the foil was undoubtedly more powerful, I discovered the bucking bronco situation was due to an incorrect mast track placement. The Race configuration has the front wing (and source of lift) much further forward that the ~GT, almost 5" further forward. I found I needed to move my track position much more forward to balance it out (around 5" further forward). I eventually added the other chicken strap, too, but rarely use them, except for a double leash, one going to each strap. I find I need to my rear foot further forward going downwind to keep the foil from pitching up out of the water. After a couple months, I've gotten more dialed on the Race setup and find it much faster around an upwind/downwind race course. That said, I don't generally reach with it, and if I were doing that, I'd use one of the 75cm fuselage setups.

P.S. The formula board I started on is unfortunately in 2 parts now. While powered up and racing, I hit an unknown submerged pile at full speed and ripped out my box and the tail of my board. In my situation, the foil was still connected to the separated, but still floating tail. In my case, it was just easier to keep everything together after the catastrophe. However, I've had a friend hit something long ago and lose his foil to the bottom of the Bay. And I've had many other friends whose foils have been saved, sometimes multiple times, due to using some kind of leash.

Best of luck to you!
boardsportsrule4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi - thank you all for your replies! I've tried both setups now and based on feedback and my own experiences I think I'll stick with the GT setup for learning (smaller fuselage). The 'race' (long fuselage) configuration did seem like a bucking bronco - it's interesting you had to move it 5" forward - that's ALOT! I'll remember that once I go back to trying that setup. BTW - I had BIGWINDS (where I bought the foil) trade out the 95cm mast for the 85cm mast - a little less painful to learn on Smile Thanks again everyone for your time in responding. Happy foiling to us all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: