myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
exiting power gybe with speed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is going to have lots of ideas after watching you video. My 3 cents is #1 It looks like your going to far inside where the water is smoother but the wind is to weak to keep you going. #2 you need to bear off and get more speed so you can exit with speed. Even on the inside you might glide enough to plane out. #3 your sail flip is late because your are sheeting out causing you to lean back and stall your board to turn. You never really get the rail of the board in the water. If you enter with speed you can sheet in, bend your knees, get your weight forward and get your board over onto the rail. A flat board is going to bounce on the chop. You should feel this as you bear off for speed. If you do the above things and get the board onto the inside rail, a lot of that bonce goes away. keep at it looks like your having fun...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, we can only point out what you may be not doing correctly without seeing what you are actually doing,

most common pitfalls:

1. waiting too late to flip the sail

2. trying to do sail transition and foot work at the same time

3. straight and stiff legs/back

4. leaning too far back

caveat i always remind people when watching dasher:
super windy spot, offshore wind, big sail and narrow/long type of board from another era.

one of the lucky things that helped me master the planing gibe was having access to a "gibatorium." there is an island at one of my local venues that has a sand spit with deep water that can be down wind of it in several degrees of wind direction. wind accelerates around the edge of the island, AND the sand spit is a break water. NO CHOP. one can concentrate on the fundamentals without the chop making it harder to learn. even in no chop, bending the knees is way important.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one observation is you seem to have very little setup on your entry. there's prep work usually needs to be done... unhooking, bearing off, moving your back hand back, etc...

Also, most people think of the jibe as a U-Turn... a full 180 degree carve. In reality, it's closer to a 120 degree carve. The rest of the time the board can be flat. Imagine going 30 degrees off the wind to pick up speed as part of the setup and going 30 degrees off the wind after you flip the sail and sheet in to get your speed/power back up.

alap wrote:
I am in the same situation.
I must say that I had improved dramatically in my jibes in the last year.
I am quiet consistent now in terms of success, and in strong wind too.
Unfortunately also very consistent in loosing speed.

As always I find coach's advice right on the money.
Here is the vid from Tue.
Definitely what I was thinking I was doing is very different from what I was actually doing. My front arm is bend like hell and very little oversheeting. Very pathetic.
Because bad oversheeting and little inclination of a rig at the entry, the arc is wide (and it takes more time)

Also I delay the flip (providing extra time to slow down as a result)

In terms of the recipe for improvement all I have to concentrate now is to add oversheeting together with rig inclination (the trick being not to disrupt other things I pay attention to at the entry Smile )

I am pretty sure that this is the main reason for my speed loss, but will appreciate the additional advice.

The vid is a bit long but there are slowdowns at 25% in the end. And as for analysis moving frame by frame in my video editor with arrow clicks was the most useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2n8God5zk&t=1s

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch where you place the foot when you take it out of the step. It needs to get further to the inside rail. In both jibes, your board does an S-turn when your back foot steps forward, briefly turning into the wrong direction. It should keep carving, or at least be flat. Get your heels to the inside of the center line. You can practice that on land.

The stuff others have said is important, too, but concentrate on just one thing for at least 10 jibes in a row, until you see an improvement. Once you think you've got that part right, go on to the next part.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin is spot on about your setup. It is way too rushed. At 1:07 you unhook & by 1:08 you have already stepped across the board with your back foot.

I do not see you reach back on the boom & your arm doesn't look very far back in the video. You stand up to unhook causing you to lose speed. As you stand up & step across the board I can see your sail already sheeting out so you are done before you even start. There are a lot of other things that go wrong later in the jibe as well but I would prefer to see you focus on one thing at a time so you do not get overwhelmed.

For your setup, try this. Reach back on the boom with your back hand. Way back. Lift your hips to unhook instead of standing up. After you unhook hang down and sail sheeted in for at least 3 seconds as you bear off the wind. Count to three alligators before you take your foot out of the back strap & slide it across the board without standing up. After this becomes automatic you can focus on other things.

Coachg
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To refine the points made earlier (you are rushing the jibe initiation) watching the Dasher video will be helpful. You need to unhook and drop your weight down while keeping the board sailing at full speed, so that when you bear off you accelerate. In your video you are sheeting out, which starts you bouncing and slowing down. Sail three full seconds hanging from the boom hooked in, then roll your weight forward and in over the carving rail to shoot your board fast into the turn.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts! I've been missing my Gybes on the outside in heavy chop a lot more than I should and need a refresher course, these tips are great and have me rethinking my approach regarding heavy stepping the inside of the board and pressure with my toes vs allowing the sheeted in sail to do the work.

One question I have that's been addressed a little but I could use more guidance. Does a Clydesdale class (eg. over 200lbs) require any changes to the Gybe or any thing that needs to be emphasized?

Definitely going to do the 3 second count before initiating as I've definitely been rushing this.

DC
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton,

Nothing changes for you Clydesdale's other than it is easier for you to plane out of your jibes. You are less affected by the chop as you crush the smaller stuff & you carry momentum far longer than the featherweights. What coasts farther, a freighter or a speedboat? Speed boat may plane earlier but once the motor is turned off the freighter will coast much farther.

Coachg
dcharlton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Coach! I'll definitely have the image of a freighter going through chop in my mind the next attempt!

DC
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, or finesse it. Bend zee knees to the point you're looking at your exit point from beneath the boom, suck up the chop, and complete your jibe before the terrain slows you down. in rough terrain, I try to do my entire jibe, from conception to exiting at full speed on the other tack, before those three seconds pass. Ideally, I try to flip my sail before my board has reached the downwind point, then sheet in on the new tack before losing any noticeable speed. Yes, it sounds like an advanced maneuver, but I had failed miserably for many years to coast through the process until I stalled, as I see countless sailors do all day. Condensing the process by eliminating the coasting phase ... smoothly ... got me (and many people who say my tips helped them immensely) jibing after years of frustration.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: