myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
exiting power gybe with speed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
In the carve jybe especially with lost speed when it is not an exit but basically recovery hand can only grab the mast.

Or Throw, Throw, Grab, and Go. That's one reason I prefer that method of jibing the sail ... it works so easily and consistently from barely moving to dramatically overpowered, from 2.8 to 7.5 square meters and from 55 to 115 (probably more) liters, all but ignores chop because it is SO quick, loses almost no ground if staying upwind is important, loses no detectable speed, involves NO handwork, and boosts the board's turn due to Newton's third law. That's a LOT of advantages, and the disadvantages are almost nonexistent.
philodog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"my exit (flip) is not a problem at all. In those videos all speed is already lost. "

Your speed is not great but you are planing all the way until you flip the sail. An efficient sail flip will allow to accelerate quickly before falling off a plane completely.

Also, you are carving nicely on edge up until you go to flip the sail. At that point in both jibes you flatten the board out which kills all speed. Once you set that edge keep it on edge throughout the jibe including as you switch your feet.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
I dont sheet enough with back hand and I dont incline the mast into winward. Sometimes instead of inclining the rig I incline the body inside the turn, but this opens the sail.

This is why video is so good. I'm trying to visualize what you are describing. It sounds like you are saying that after hanging down for 3 seconds you start your jibe by inclining the mast to windward? If so then that is a problem.

Coachg
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:

I do think now that my main remaining problem is bad oversheeting (that what I meant by bad hand work), or more specifically I bend my front hand, I dont sheet enough with back hand and I dont incline the mast into winward.

What you should be doing is

1. Extending your front arm so that it's straight or practically straight, pushing the mast forward and slightly into the turn (ie downwind, not to windward).

2. At the same time your back hand sheets in.

3. You're doing this while bringing your hips forward and over the downwind front foot strap (approximately)

When done correctly, you'll feel the board accelerate. As soon as you feel that it's time to begin the sail flip. (In my avatar photo I've just begun opening sail in preparation for flipping it.)

alap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
alap wrote:

I do think now that my main remaining problem is bad oversheeting (that what I meant by bad hand work), or more specifically I bend my front hand, I dont sheet enough with back hand and I dont incline the mast into winward.

1. Extending your front arm so that it's straight or practically straight, pushing the mast forward and slightly into the turn (ie downwind, not to windward).

3. You're doing this while bringing your hips forward and over the downwind front foot strap (approximately)

When done correctly, you'll feel the board accelerate. As soon as you feel that it's time to begin the sail flip. (In my avatar photo I've just begun opening sail in preparation for flipping it.)

PP - I wrote something jibberish. Of course I meant downwind, not windward.

The bullets 1 and 2 - I am not doing it at all, especially bullet 1.
My front arm is bend - video shows this.

Bullet 3 - I think I am doing it right. In fact this move alone improved my consistency to almost 100% now.

I think that if somehow I'll force myself to concentrate on those two bullets, I'll achieve the goal. Funny, in my basement I am able to concentrate on this perfectly (... as I typed this, I think I should make a basement vid!)

Definitely now with this delay trick it will (rather should be!) be easier for me to concentrate - in fact for those 3 sec out of harness all I should do is to concentrate on straight front arm - mast downwind.

PP - your avatar is absolutely fantastic
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:

PP - your avatar is absolutely fantastic

I'll mail your check immediately!

alap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP I'll mail yours! for delay advice....
In fact I'll double the amount you will send me.... but I need to know it, and for that I need your check first Smile
alap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
alap wrote:
I dont sheet enough with back hand and I dont incline the mast into winward. Sometimes instead of inclining the rig I incline the body inside the turn, but this opens the sail.

This is why video is so good. I'm trying to visualize what you are describing. It sounds like you are saying that after hanging down for 3 seconds you start your jibe by inclining the mast to windward? If so then that is a problem.

Coachg

coach of course windward is a stupid typo. I meant "downwind" of course
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peconicpuffin said:
Quote:

I think this is one of the best descriptions of jibing I have seen. Short, concise, easy to remember and visualize. I have a ways to go before I hit perfection, so it's great advice for almost all of us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: