myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to learn in high winds? (adv beginner/intermediate-ish)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear to that. I have been at this since 1982 and sail almost every time I go to my local lake. I just got back from an on and off session, mostly off, and spent one and a half hrs. just mucking around. I had fun and reinforced my skills. I was the only one out while others waited for more wind. It never got better. When I did get planning, it was super smooth. Like making first tracks in the snow. I have a rule. Rig for what you see and don't wait for more wind if you can get out now..
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: What to learn in high winds? (adv beginner/intermediate-ish) Reply with quote

Greetings Mr. 00,

5 seasons and no footstraps (even at only 5-10 outings/yr). Maybe you've
developed some habits that aren't serving you well. My opinion is that
you need to concentrate on getting in that front strap every time you
you get planning, at your weight and a 110 ltr board, 15-18 should be
plenty planable. Just start by removing weight from your front foot
without disturbing board trim, if you can do that you can slowly ooch
your foot back and into that strap. Like has been suggested, move your
straps inboard and forward for ease of entry, or look for a rental board
with the straps closer to the centerline.

I've sailed with people who never learned to strap up, and they did get
pretty good at board control without straps, but they really take a beating
in higher winds and choppier conditions.

Good luck, and let us know how your trip goes.

-Craig

Joris00 wrote:
I have a windsurfing trip this weekend and the forecast looks like 20-25 mph most of the time.

My level:
- relatively ok with harness though maybe I don't commit as much as I should,
- haven't been in the footstraps (so no planing),
- waterstart every now and then, takes several attempts.

I want to learn getting in the footstraps, but I think 15-18 mph would be better conditions for that. Some of the time the wind should be there, but when it's strong (23-26 mph) I want to make the most of my time and make some progress.

I'm thinking:
- get more comfortable with the harness,
- more consistent waterstart,
- try a smaller board (right now I'm on 110 at 140 lbs),
- [The same thing we do every night, Pinky] just do what I'm doing in lower winds (short runs with a tack), and try to not fall too much -- this would naturally include harness and waterstart,

Does that make sense?

What would you advise?

Thank you!
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What everyone else has said.

If you will be at Bird Island basin, you will be in shallow water (where you can stand) which will make it all a lot easier in windy conditions. If not Bird Island, that's really where you need to go. Corpus Christi bay can be challenging in 20+ winds with sizable swells. It should work out well and you will learn a lot in a short period of time.
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a private lesson.
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said:

MUST. GET. PLANING. IN. FRONT. STRAPS.

Footstrap position is critical. Some boards have three rows of strap options like this board. The row closest to the mast track is made specifically to make it easier for beginners to use. Some boards only have strap positions close to the rail. Again, find the board that has the options for front footstraps WAY inboard (closest to the center and furthest forward.) Get a tape measure and measure the position of the front foot straps relative to the back of the board and the mast track. Then stick with that board.

What 110-liter boards are you using? In my opinion, 110-liter boards, in general, are not designed for learning to plane and get into the straps. Frankly, I think you would be better off with a bigger board that IS designed for your skill level, and then use a sail that is just big enough to give you enough power to plane. At your weight, with the right board, you could get into the front strap possibly even before planing. That's a luxury us heavyweights do not have. Do they have any Kona One's?

JP-X-Cite-Ride-Plus-480px.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.82 KB
 Viewed:  12538 Time(s)

JP-X-Cite-Ride-Plus-480px.jpg

Joris00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, you're right.
Yes, the next thing on my list is definitely footstraps. The emphasis of my question was "high wind". Though maybe I have bad memories from times I couldn't waterstart and/or had too big of a sail...

Yesterday was good! Winds in the 15-20 range and gusts to 25. First day of the season, so I spent some time getting used to it, and not experimenting too much. Today should be higher wind though.

I could get easily into the front strap (even the back one didn't seem too hard), and did a few times, just didn't want to stay very long there. The board was Goya Volar 115 with 5.8 sail.

Some questions:
- I've read it's not very good to use only one strap for a long time, an injury is more likely when you fall. Maybe I can keep that to short runs, 10-20 sec, and keep the speed not too high, then when I get more comfortable, try the back strap too?
- I think my biggest fear is getting catapulted while in the footstraps, and at high speed. Again, maybe good idea to keep the runs short and the speed not too high? Though everyone says footstraps and speed give you more control...

I found a huge thread about that: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30924, but I'll read more when I get home.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear your pushing yourself a bit. In general if you can get in the front strap, let the board run just a bit and quickly get into the back. Some here get in the back strap first but its not the norm. SO if your in both straps you are less likely to go over the "bars" Let the board run and gain speed. Don't cut you rides short. As you gain speed you can head up wind and gain ground or off the wind to keep your speed. Fear is a good thing to a point but don't let it hinder your progress. What scares you today will seem simple with time on the water.
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joris00 wrote:

- I've read it's not very good to use only one strap for a long time, an injury is more likely when you fall. Maybe I can keep that to short runs, 10-20 sec, and keep the speed not too high, then when I get more comfortable, try the back strap too?

Make the footstrap very loose to help avoid injury. Make the runs as long as you want. I like to go upwind of my launch, so my swim back is minimal if I break down. Keeping the speed down is fine, and not using the back strap will help you do that...whatever feels comfortable. There is plenty of progressing you can do planing with the harness without getting in the back strap...like jibing.

Joris00 wrote:
- I think my biggest fear is getting catapulted while in the footstraps, and at high speed. Again, maybe good idea to keep the runs short and the speed not too high? Though everyone says footstraps and speed give you more control...

Footstraps definitely, but I don't think speed at your level is going to give you more control.

The board looks nice as it has the three rows of strap positions I mentioned. Stock fin says it's a 38. Since you are light and using a 5.8 sail, I would go with a smaller fin which will be easier to control. Fin size and sail size go hand in hand. Once you get better you can use a bigger sail when you want to ALWAYS be planing. For now use a sail that is just big enough to get you planing most of the time. Plus, learning how to plane with a smaller sail is also a valuable skill. At first, try to go fast when you have smoother water. I purposely seek smoother water when I sail because I'm not a fan of chop. You can do it all without using the back strap, but the faster you go, the more comfortable you will eventually be in the back strap.

Last edited by akrausz on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back strap is both seat belt and accelerator. If you're going too fast then turn that speed into upwind distance by pointing as high upwind as possible.
A gust that would catapult you when out of the back strap is just some good acceleration when you are in it.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your fears of getting launched or going too fast are solved once you become a good sheeter outer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: