myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Step/flip vs. Flip/step vs. Flip/sail out switch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Here is a two second jibe, so the sailor must be Isobars before he boycotted Maui. Or it could be Josh Stone.

https://youtu.be/ah9HF1MTVII

Now if the guy in that jibe had straightened his front arm, oversheeted, maybe gotten his weight a bit more forward, flipped his sail and his feet simultaneously at about the 1.5 seconds mark, he'd have been on his exit reach sheeted in with both feet near their exit straps by the 2.0-second mark -- with MUCH less physical effort expended and 100% less rig manhandling -- and blasted "out of the frame" halfway through this 4-second video. Instead he chose to do everything sequentially rather than simultaneously and to manhandle his rig while jibing his sail. These things double the time required to jibe, but they aren't "defects"; he's simply chosen to do it his way.

That sailor actually was Josh Stone. I'll be sure to pass along your comments.

Actually, it's nice things are returning to normal and we're all ganging up on Isobars again. Glad to see he's back on the water and feeling better.

fxop
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Not sure why this is a big deal Reply with quote

So I had a look at the Jibe I posted on PG 10 of this thread (which is me). Maybe this is a definition issue. The jibe is not with a 7.5 (it might in fact be Mike's old 5.2), and there's nothing special about the jibe (no laydown or anything).
The sail transition(and the turn from 1 tack to the other is about 1 second,
the whole jibe from strap to strap is about 5 seconds. My recollection is
that it was done on the far side flat water jibe zone of Doug's
Beach.(so no swell gravity assist, but there are little mini chops over there)
There appears to be a very slight loss of speed around the jibe.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal. Jibe tight (or jibe loose), plane out, rodeo rides are not optimum for planning out (but it can be done). For
me big sails jibe slower than small sails, but getting them to spin around
their COE should promote the fastest spin you can get.

I'm not sure it's really germane to a good jibe how quickly you transition,
(but dawdling leaves you less margin for error) ;*).

-Craig
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
It takes well under one second to go from sheeted in on starboard to sheeted in on port, so any speed loss is imperceptible.

Oh mighty isobars who jibes a lot better than Josh Stone (or so he says), please show us how it's done. Talk is cheap. So are forum posts.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Here's video of a jibe (4.7 sail, 77 liter board). You can use the video player's time read out to measure it. I count 5 seconds from the beginning of the jibe until I'm sheet in on the new tack.

I disagree with the 5 seconds. Your jibe starts at 3 seconds into the video when you look back, or at the latest at 5 seconds when your hands move back. The total time is somewhere between 15-20 seconds; it's not until 22 seconds into the movie until you're hooked in again, and your feet are in the straps.

That said, it's quite an excellent jibe. I'd really love to see a video with one of the even-more-excellent jibes from isobars.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They key word is perceivable. We all know that unless we have video, GPS or are physically racing against other sailors our perception often doesn't jibe with reality.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell from your POV video when you may have switched/jibed your feet or when your board passed through downwind, but your sail jibe runs from about 16 seconds (both hands on starboard) to about 19 seconds (both hands on port). When you sheet in is your choice, but those 3-5 seconds of coasting did cost you some speed. Had you jibed your feet, board, and sail simultaneously and omitted the handwork altogether, you may well have shrink-wrapped the tack change (starboard to port) to one second and lost much less speed. From the appearance of the water (no whitecaps), your power level appears marginal going in, so ANY speed loss is very noticeable. That adds to total jibe (from hooked and strapped in on starboard beam reach to hooked and strapped in on port beam reach) time, which results in greater loss of speed and greater demand for finesse. This makes a very quick sail/feet/board transition even more desirable. With power and speed to spare, bearing off is unnecessary and swerving back up to the new beam reach does not require any nuanced tiptoeing.

Even more important in a long session is energy conservation. Josh, about 40 years younger and infinitely more talented and skilled than I, can afford to power through his jibes (he appears in the video to be powering his way through the turn). I prefer to expend minimal effort and much less time in my jibes, especially compared to Panebianco's brutal, bear-wrestling, mast-bending, overpowered jibe technique shown in WSmag years ago.

I can think of nothing I've not already said many times about everybody's incessant requests, demands, and ultimatums for videos. As for talking and/or bragging, I talk about it when asked and when it might motivate even one person to ramp up their jibes this way.

It's much like a brief conversation two of us were having on shore just last Friday about statins being one of the greatest frauds in the history of medicine. A bystander on statins said, "I'm not convinced". Well, of course not. It took me years and hundreds to thousands of hours of study to convince myself about statins; no random dude on the beach or the internet is going to change my mind without extensive evidence to the contrary. The same goes for jibing or any other obvious but unsaid technique: just because some people can't do or don't prefer it doesn't mean it's impossible or incorrect.

It's also completely disingenuous to redefine "jibe" in analyzing Craig's video. No one here has said or implied that the 1-2-second tack change from starboard to port includes everything from looking downwind in preparation for a jibe to being hooked and strapped in -- let alone eating a sammich -- on the next beam reach. It's about the time dedicated to unpowered coasting while changing boom sides, feet, and board from one tack to the next (e.g., post to starboard), which can take anywhere from 20 to 180 degrees of the whole 180 degree u-turn.

And while perception can certainly confuse impressions, these video timelines, others' comments about my (good) jibes, and my own execution of many thousands of them over the last 25 years support my estimates. Ya want videos? Take 'em. I'm busy having fun.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
It's hard to tell from your POV video when you may have switched/jibed your feet or when your board passed through downwind, but your sail jibe runs from about 16 seconds (both hands on starboard) to about 19 seconds (both hands on port).

While yours takes "well under one second". Please.

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the man said ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcYoMNgOfbE

It never ceases to amaze me when so many of you say something I've been doing for decades can't be done. I've been jibing my sails via T, T, G, & Go almost exclusively since 1988, and have been carving 90-degree slashes with only toe pressure in the back strap since 1993. My GOD but I'm glad you naysayers weren't around when I was learning new or advancing older skills. No WONDER so many of you insist that step jibes are the only acceptable (or even the only possible) way to perform a simple jibe. How long would YOU let YOUR rig float in the air, untouched, waiting for you to grab it, in a windy jibe? I'd love to see you do that for three seconds (and I wouldn't imply you're lying if you claimed it.)

and only if you succeed will you reap any benefit.

Last edited by isobars on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
They key word is perceivable. We all know that unless we have video, GPS or are physically racing against other sailors our perception often doesn't jibe with reality.

Valid point, but I compare my jibes with many others' all day every (windy) day. I'm not at the Hatchery fishbowl with the pros, but I don't see anyone else in my vicinity jibing their sails as quickly as I do. They ALL grab the mast or boom somewhere between planing on port and planing on starboard, and virtually every one jibes their sail, feet, and board in series (i.e., sequentially) rather than parallel (simultaneously). Both of those techniques add to coasting time and total jibe time and distance, often preceding and causing stalls.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars must be feeling better, he's getting a bit of his old testiness back.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a jibe at the 1:46 mark by arguably the greatest windsurfer of all time. Still took 3 seconds with the help of a wave and no sail flip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw_3sKjKupY
As I said, perception often doesn't jibe with reality.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 15 of 27

Jump to: