myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waist harness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacandagalady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Waist harness Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have been using a seat harness exclusively and decided to try a waist to see if I preferred it more than the seat. Anyway, I do have a few questions. I sail in lakes with sails anywhere from 5.8 to 8.5. The winds can range from high single digits to around 20 when I head out.

I was quite used to the seat and find the waist more liberating (feel as if I can move around the board more easily while hooked in, particularly for using the footstraps). I do have some questions or issues...how can I keep the hook from riding up once hooked in? Also, I am used to "sitting" in the harness to plane and counteract the pull on the sail, but with the waist, I cannot do that?? With that said, what is the best positioning for my body to get on plane and to stay on a plane in lighter winds that I sail. (Lean out and back??) With the higher hook, I am guessing that my harness lines are way too long. Does that go hand in hand with a waist harness's higher hook?

Also, I had to move my lines much further back and still don't have them where they should be..

Thanks in advance,

Sacandagalady
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a medium high seat harness for everything, because all 4 of my current waist harnesses hurt my lower back.
I don't use a low slalom type seat, because I do bump n jump, waves, but mostly freeride and sometimes foil.
Same length and positioning of the lines.
Lean back, stand tall, and if hook rising is a problem, lower boom or get more lat muscle.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waves, freestyle, jumping = waist harness

Speed, slalom, cruising = seat harness

manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three waist harnesses I tried worked best without tightening the belts at all but tighten the hook bar a lot!

Shorter lines or too high a boom may cause the harness to ride up. I too learned to sail with a seat. I tried a waist with bigger sail, I found 7.0 was the limit, 9.0 was seat (heavy fin lift, riding onto the rail).

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacandagalady said:

Quote:
Also, I had to move my lines much further back and still don't have them where they should be..

The balance point for harness lines doesn't change with different harnesses, boom heights, harness line length or anything else, EXCEPT changes in wind speed. This excludes rigging variations, too much/little outhaul or downhaul.

If I use the same boom for different sails, I try to make the harness line adjustment on shore, and if I find that they are not perfectly balanced when I get on the water, I head to shallow water ASAP, jump off and adjust the lines. Sometimes I can do it on the water while slogging, but that depends on how tight I have them on the boom. I usually have to stop.

Same deal with boom heigth if I didn't get it right while on shore, but if I am on a floaty board, I can usually adjust the boom while slogging.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Check your stance Reply with quote

I had the same problem - harness sliding up. Then I realized it was my stance/position. If I keep my back straight, shoulders wide, turned forward and head straight and high, it really changes the angle of harness lines relative to the body and they no longer slide up.

And just the opposite happens if I slouch into the sail and trying to load harness lines in that position the slide happens.

And Yes, you must tighten the hook belt really well
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a big breath before I clamp the hook strap so as not to restrict my breathing. No tension on any other attachments. If you have a sit style it'll ride up especially if your middle is bigger than your top. Lean away to keep tension on your lines and you can still bend your knees a lot to absorb bumps. Since my harness is a little loose it will ride up if I'm in the water too long with my arms in the air. My boom is not too high and my hook is very high. Lines about 28" ?
ss59

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waist harness hooks riding up is caused by not committing to the harness fully. the stance in a waist harness is essentially a 7, so that the harness lines are at 90degrees to the hook when hooked in and planing (there should be no upward pull at all, just outward).

Logic suggests shorter harness for a waist harness compared to a seat harness as the waist harness hook is higher and closer to the boom - this is incorrect as it assumes a vertical position, In reality, your body should be counterbalanced at an angle to the rig.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the " 7 " stance- arms locked out, shoulders back, hips thrust slightly forward, and legs extended with toes pointed. Similar straight body position as if you were doing a plank, but vertically. With the shoulders further from the boom than the waist, the harness will usually stay at the waist instead of sliding up the torso.

In contrast, with the seat harness you're in more of a " C " stance with butt down and out and shoulders in. If you try the C stance with the waist harness it will ride up to your armpits/chest, no matter how tight you make it. In my profile picture I'm in the "C" stance but that's because I'm unhooked on a wave. Surely I'm in a perfect "7" stance whenever I'm hooked in... Wink

Waist harness and 7 stance can work on any board / sail combo but it's said to be especially suited for smaller, maneuver-oriented gear.

Sacandagalady

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your very interesting, informative and encouraging responses. I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or needed to be doing things differently.

The other day I went out in real gusty up and down winds and stuck with the seat harness that I was real used to. I will try the waist again when I can rely on generally more consistent winds.

I'm still recovering from getting flung forward with a whiplash feeling in my neck and upper body... Smile I should know better than to go out in such erratic winds, but a bad day of windsurfing is still better than a great day at work!

My thanks again to all who replied and gave me such valuable information.

Sacandagalady
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: