myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner advice on budget windsurfer - 3 options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not buy that junk. Road trip to Fon Du Lac, WI (windpower) store, Isthmus Sailboards, or the gorge and have a local windsurfing shop set you up with some newer used gear. Save on shipping too.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a beginner, some of the following stuff would be pretty good for your venue. Of course, it's a bit more money than you planned.

Yet, I have to ask, are you all in with windsurfing? If you are, it's better to spend a bit more to get the right stuff, even if its not new. Like I said, there are some pretty good candidates listed in this group of stuff.

https://northplatte.craigslist.org/spo/d/light-to-medium-wind/6608816646.html

You might want ask the seller to send you some photos of the boards, and any other components you might be interested in. Surely, that will help you better understand the condition of things.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That funride 130 is a great starter board for short boarding. A board with a centerboard is best for beginners, but if you're talented, and committed that funride could work.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add one thing.. another perspective... especially if someone (like the poster) is trying to get safe, functional windsurf gear for very cheap.

There's nothing wrong with 1 piece masts!!
A comment said, "how you gonna carry that?"
Answer is, the same way you're gonna carry your longboard... which is, "on your roof rack". In other words, the same way everyone in the world carried all their windsurf gear in the 80's and most the 90's (back when windsurfing was HUGE).

I sailed yesterday with a friend who uses a 1 pc mast. It's very light weight, and there are many advantages. The only disadvantage (for most recreational, occasional, windsurfers) is if you want to put it inside your car.
Unfortunately, they haven't been made since the mid to late 90's. So they are all very old now. But if you get one from someone you trust, and it hasn't been abused, it'll probably last a very long time.
The 50% carbon 1 pc 465cm mast my friend used yesterday, is from 1993. It's never been abused (I know cause I bought it new). I used it a ton in low and high wind windsurfing... I used it for teaching newbies for years... it's been in tons of different sail types from wave sails to race sails and all work fine.
Advantages -
It weighs the same as new 2 pc 460cm 80% carbon masts weigh.
It has a better bend curve cause there's no stiff joint in the middle.
Rigging and de-rigging is faster, better, quicker, and more care-free, cause it doesn't separate at the joint (cause there isn't one Smile

I wish they still made em!
Anyway, I get the convenience of 2 pc masts... and all of my regularly used masts (7) are all 2 pc.
But just wanted to say - transporting them is easy, especially if you're also transporting a longboard.

Greg Smile
PS - Reliability in buying a used 2 pc mast, where you don't know it's full history... is just as likely to break on you. As buying a used 1 pc mast.

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you Greg, but I haven't owned a one piece mast since the mid-80s. While one piece masts were still made for many years, I think that it's arguable that most one piece masts you see with older boards are likely an entry level product that is highly questionable when matched with more modern sails. If it was a yellow one piece like the one shown in the initial post, I wouldn't buy it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can carry the one piece mast on my Mini.

But shipping it to me I feel but ONE OPTION TRUCK FREIGHT

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the original picture again, and I have to say that the O'Brien package at $75, even with that mast relic, will definitely work to get natbprice on the water. The board even has a centerboard. It still might be tippy though, and a bit short on volume. Also, although I can't see the boom head, the boom appears to be a clamp-on design.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you two.
And many of the colorful fiberglass 1 pc masts were heavy!
But there are many black carbon (some % carbon, I don't know)... that are quite light.
And yes, I wouldn't put any 90's mast (1 or 2 pc) with a modern, hi-tech high wind sail... and expect top performance in powered-up sailing.

But I'm just saying for a novice who's looking for inexpensive gear, there's nothing wrong with a 1 pc mast. I mean, geez, if it's an old matched kit from Hi-Fly or Obrien or Mistral or whoever... then maybe the old mast will even match the old sail quite well. And for learning in light wind (under 15 mph) most of it should work ok. If it's complete and doesn't have broken parts.

ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those are obsolete it would be like buying a car
from the 50's .
I know you may be on a budjet but stuff from pre 90's makes
things a lot harder.
There is a lot of good stuff out there sitting around that people would
probably give you to get it out of there garage.
You would have to live next to one of the major sailing area's in the
US to get it though.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
All of those are obsolete it would be like buying a car
from the 50's .
I know you may be on a budjet but stuff from pre 90's makes
things a lot harder.
There is a lot of good stuff out there sitting around that people would
probably give you to get it out of there garage.
You would have to live next to one of the major sailing area's in the
US to get it though

But he doesn't. In fact, he doesn't live even remotely close, to a popular windsurfing spot.
So therefore... you take what you can get.

And some of that stuff will work fine for learning.

Greg -
PS - Obsolete cars from the 50's? Right, they won't have navigation or even electric door locks. But I'd take a '57 Corvette or '57 Porsche Speedster... those would be very fun cars!
And no those older windsurfers aren't the equivalent of an old sports car... they're more like a '57 Chevy Impala. And an old Impala would be fine for learning how to drive, if that's all you could get Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: