myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet Nano

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Exocet Nano Reply with quote

Do I need it? Or just sail the 240L Viper forever? I've been told the board is too big to plane? Seems though that with enough sail and enough speed it should be possible? But maybe it's just not?

I like to plane and go fast. But those are hard to do on the big board.

Always been undecided between the 125 and 135.

I'm 6'4"/200lbs. Notice the board weight differences(1kg) and the widths( 67cmvs78cm). But the main thing to me is the sail sizes. If I would never run an 8 or 9m sail on those boards. But being able to run a 4.5m sail vs's a 5m for example.

So the 125 for a first small board?

Anyone have a good line on the board? I still see previous year model boards listed at what feel like full price. Would love to get a new one of any year cheap(and I've seen it listed low before in the past)(you'd think; "I can get a new board for the price of a sail?!").

I like the low price of a new board vs's the price of other boards and it being of supposedly heavy duty. I have had my boom impact my board before and have heard stories of people chopping the front of their boards off before from a boom impact.

Or is there some other better board out there that I have not seen yet? Looking to buy if one is out there.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for neutral buoyancy: sailor, sail kit and all:

200lbs + 12 lbs divided by 2.2 kgs/lb = 96 liters.

using small sails with large boards can be somewhat of a mismatch, primarily with boards that have very large stock fins to boot.

125 nano is a great choice. you may want to find a 35-37 cm fin to match sail sizes.

cheers

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is you skill level? What wind and water conditions do you sail in? At your size a 125 board is do able but will be a challenge. Your losing almost 50% of your float. It might feel like your standing on a football at first. If you go to small for your weight and wind, the board will get little use and you might get frustrated. A bit bigger board will be more forgiving and still blast fast on the water. Bic Techno 152 is always a great choice if you can a good used one. Tabou Rocket 135 or 145 also will work well, to name a few. Extra float is your friend when first learning short board skills.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have enough wind to sail a 5 meter sail and the skill to do it than go for the 125 Nano. As your skills get better and in 4.5 and 5.0 winds guys your size would be on sub 100 liter boards...
rtz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still total beginner. I go out in all conditions. You have me thinking about the 155 now..

http://www.exocet-original.com/en/nano.php
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking about a 145-155L board I think it's worth getting one that can take a foil. Not that you are foiling now or in the foreseeable future, but that board size will become redundant down the road otherwise.
jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Do I need it? Or just sail the 240L Viper forever? I've been told the board is too big to plane? Seems though that with enough sail and enough speed it should be possible? But maybe it's just not?

I like to plane and go fast. But those are hard to do on the big board.

The fanatic vipers are great planing boards
Had my first planing experiences on viper 85 strong winds 5m sail at 100kgs

Disappointment in not regularity recreating the planing experience led me to purchase smaller boards with still no real success. The real breakthrough came when I realised I needed bigger sails. A new world opened up for me when I got a 9.5 and 8.5 ezzy sails

Buying smaller boards and waiting for strong winds put me back a season or two

I now have Exocet Sting 125 and find it a great 7.5m sail weather board. Mate has the nano 125 at 80kgs and it’s his lightwind 7.5m board

Viper planing. Big sail 50cm fin
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUqjB6xR0A

Lots of useful info here
http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.com/2011/06/heavyweights-and-windsurfing.html

I think on the Jimdouglas blog is photos viper planing
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2011/09/flooring-it-on-beginner-windsurfing.html

Cheers Jeff
Ps speed??? It’s all relative. I’m faster on my old fanatic stingray and starboard freeformula than my mate is on his nano Cool
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video is excellent!
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Still total beginner. I go out in all conditions. You have me thinking about the 155 now..

http://www.exocet-original.com/en/nano.php

If you have a 240 Viper, I think that the 135 Nano could be a good companion. Going bigger would defeat the purpose of a medium wind planing board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: