myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Immigration and children
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Techno... to give you an idea of the power of the business community, and their ability to influence politicians, take a look at Arizona. Arizona is probably the toughest state on immigrants. They passed a law making it legal to raid businesses, and profile workers. But, it never saw the light of day after the lobbying effort overwhelmed the courts...Immigration is good for business. HB-1 VISA's are critical in Silicon Valley, and migrant workers are critical in CA, where a massive percentage of all the fruits and vegetables are grown...

I wonder how many engineers are flowing illegally through the southern border....with their children.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve...my point is that immigration has always been about comprehensive reform, which includes all of the above. Had the Republicans voted 4 years ago, it would have passed, and many of today's issues which bother people of all political persuasions, would have been addressed.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malibu

This is my point with the current administration. Trump is fine with offering citizenship to educated engineers from other countries which reduces the salaries of American tech workers. Yet, he creates an environment where we resent Mexicans for taking jobs no one will do.

He is politicizing immigration to an extent beyond what any other politician has done. And he admits it. Just yesterday he bragged about what a great issue immigration is going to be in the coming election.

Why won't he support educational programs that help America workers develop
The skills to do those jobs? Because he loses his political base when he does.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
coboardhead said:
Quote:
Then we have refuges from dangerous environments. How do we deal with a world where many cannot find sanctuary for their children? Simply saying no denies our heritage. Can we take them all?

Fine but is there a point where you say no? It seems that Europe is reconsidering their sanctuary efforts. Why do the Central American sanctuary immigrants just pass through Mexico and not seek refuge there?

The US has always tried to be the "nice guy" of the world, but the frequent result is that we get taken advantage of way too often.

Fine. If you want to change the asylum law, go to Congress and do it. Package it with DACA and health care, compromise, and make the Democrats an offer they can't refuse.

That would take competence and negotiating ability--which are in short supply in the Trump administration. Plenty of bluster, no know-how.

His disregard for all laws is a danger to our democracy. But then maybe he and you both believe that crossing the border illegally is more of a crime than money laundering, cheating your business partners, or colluding with Russia to steal an election.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

His disregard for all laws is a danger to our democracy. But then maybe he and you both believe that crossing the border illegally is more of a crime than money laundering, cheating your business partners, or colluding with Russia to steal an election.

You mean his regard for following all laws, if there is a law that is bad, the best way to change it is to enforce it first.

So now Trump says he's going to sign an executive order stopping the separation element of the immigration law, which is what the left has been clamoring for. But I can see the MSM reaction to this already, Trump caves on his immigration law. Which of course would be total BS.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s just silly.
vientomas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trump -

Statement #1:

"Under current law, we have only two policy options to respond to this massive crisis. We can either release all illegal immigrant families and minors who show up at the border from Central America or we can arrest the adults for the federal crime of illegal entry. Those are the only two options, totally open borders or criminal prosecution for law-breaking,"

Statement #2 days later:

"We're signing an executive order. I consider it to be a very important executive order. It's about keeping families together, while at the same time being sure we have a very powerful, very strong border,"

Shades of John Kerry flip flopping... Rolling Eyes
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post the link from my phone. But, there was an article I read in Newsweek that illustrated that Trump won the election because of fear mongering about immigration.

This is not lost on his supporters. Keep this fear alive. It's why Trump is being such a hard ass on immigration. The problem is the demographics of the sensitive seats in Congress up for grabs in this mid term election. I think this is the split we are seeing between Trump and his party right now.

Politics plain and simple. The Democrats don't really need to do anything but watch from the sidelines on this. Not much could be done anyway.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a system in place when Trump came into office, disparaged as “catch and release”, whereby 99% of those intercepted at the border reported when required. It cost less than the private prisons and didn’t separate the kids. There was also money for legal representation for children. Trump killed both of those programs. He has no heart, he has no soul. He is a criminal.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I can't post the link from my phone. But, there was an article I read in Newsweek that illustrated that Trump won the election because of fear mongering about immigration.

This is not lost on his supporters. Keep this fear alive. It's why Trump is being such a hard ass on immigration. The problem is the demographics of the sensitive seats in Congress up for grabs in this mid term election. I think this is the split we are seeing between Trump and his party right now.

Politics plain and simple. The Democrats don't really need to do anything but watch from the sidelines on this. Not much could be done anyway.

Don't confuse REALITY with FEAR....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 8 of 59

Jump to: