myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to windsurf with baby and non windsurfing wife
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't waterstart, Kanaha would be your best option, because inside the reef the swell and chop are much reduced making uphauling an easier task. While the water condition in Kihei can be flatter too, you have to really watch out for low tide. Nothing more unsettling and dangerous as running aground on the reef at full speed. I've done it, and really messed up one of my favorite fins.

Frankly, I'd take up Jane's offer to learn waterstarts before you take the trip. You should be able to pull off your waterstarts in a single lesson. My personal recommendation would be to get a good windsurfing session in before taking the waterstart lesson later in the day. This strategy allows you to settle down and focus on learning to waterstart, because you've already had the opportunity to play for a while and get in your windsurfing fix for the day.

Last edited by swchandler on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I live in Maui and would offer this advice: You've been here before so you and your wife know what to expect vis a vis non-windsurfing activity. Also you are familiar with the areas where you can stay. If you are OK with Kihei, it has the best bang for the buck and if you are lucky you can sail from your condo. However, not water starting there can be bad as you might get swept downwind while trying to water start / uphaul. North shore is cooler (temperature), but you may experience some rain. However summertime it's not that bad. It's 35 minutes to Kanaha from Haiku, maybe 20 from Paia. I would avoid Stable Road because your wife won't like the airport noise. However it's as close to the action as you can get. Contact Matt Pritchard to find options for rentals in Sprecklesville. It's halfway from Paia to Kanaha, but far enough from the airport to eliminate the noise. You can probably arrange a complete package with Matt too, including rentals.

Since you need to get your water starts, I would before anything, schedule a lesson with that in mind. It will make the rest of your sailing time that much more enjoyable.

Allocate some down time for family stuff. I recommend a drive to Hana, maybe even spend the night. Koki beach is beautiful, one of my favorites. Or go to Wailea and spend time on Makena beach. Learn about the shore break there! Haleakala can be spectacular and is not a bad drive, I would avoid sunrise, we like the sunset better.

And if you want something completely different, since you have an infant, not a teenager or child that needs entertainment, you might consider staying upcountry - It's off the beaten path, quiet and the views are incredible. However you are 40 minutes from the beach. We stayed here one time and it was the moment we decided to move here:

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p975308

I am not affiliated with the owner in any way, by the way.

Steve
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve...its time to change your "location" on your avatar...Unless you're coming back to Marin!!!!
ronadler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing on Maui with and without family for 30 years. Even without wife and baby I would not recommend Maui to an intermediate windsurfer who can't waterstart and is only comfortable up to 20 knots.
The water is choppy and you cannot count on being able to uphaul. Kihei is side off-shore and the next stop is Tahiti. It is very gusty and tough sailing. Kanaha is choppy and holey but OK for waterstart practice. Just don't go out very far. The current and wind will push you away from your launch toward the harbor and sewage treatment plant. Sprecklesville is definitely not for intermediates with wife and baby waiting. The Gorge is out of the question.

Bottom line: I have never had a good windsurfing vacation with my non-windsurfing wife: one of us will always be frustrated or annoyed. So my advice is to take your wife and baby to a nice warm beachy place like Wailea (on Maui) and don't plan to sail -- or maybe just take an afternoon off to go practice waterstarts at Kanaha. Carry a phone in a waterproof pouch so you can call your wife if you get stuck or in trouble. Enjoy -- but I promise you there is no place where you will get as much windsurfing as you want and still have your wife and baby happy. Learn to waterstart at Alameda beach or in the Delta before you spend a lot of money on a windsurfing trip. In the summer months Hawaii round trip flights are about $800 each!
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Steve...its time to change your "location" on your avatar...Unless you're coming back to Marin!!!!

Noted. Now if I can figure out how...
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronadler wrote:
I have been windsurfing on Maui with and without family for 30 years. Even without wife and baby I would not recommend Maui to an intermediate windsurfer who can't waterstart and is only comfortable up to 20 knots.
The water is choppy and you cannot count on being able to uphaul. Kihei is side off-shore and the next stop is Tahiti. It is very gusty and tough sailing. Kanaha is choppy and holey but OK for waterstart practice. Just don't go out very far. The current and wind will push you away from your launch toward the harbor and sewage treatment plant. Sprecklesville is definitely not for intermediates with wife and baby waiting. The Gorge is out of the question.
!

Have to disagree on some points here. Kanaha can be choppy but if he is used to sailing in the bay, it's not much different in the middle of the summer. The sewage treatment plant is at least a mild downwind and if you stay inside the reef you have little chance of ending up there. Even less so the harbor. I took my Danish exchange student to Maui in April after starting him sailing in February. He had not learned water starts. You can imagine the sailing opportunities between February and April in the Bay Area, he did not get a lot of TOW. The first thing I did was sign him up for a water start lesson. Two hours after he came home with a big smile on his face. From then on he was self sufficient.

My advice on sailing Kanaha for anyone, if you are not advanced, stay inside the reef. Monitor your position and keep upwind. Watch for fishermen and stay way out of their way. Obey the rules of ROW. Ask for advice. Fall on your back if you are near the reef. Keep your eyes open for turtles. Learn about the weird wave if it is present and avoid it at all costs. It can be a challenging place to sail but not so much for anyone who sails in S.F. Bay.

Steve
dglynn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,
Thanks o much for those last few tips. I've been mulling over the previous responses, and am beginning to think that trying to combine windsurfing with baby and wife might be quite tough, as the last few of you suggest as well. I don't want to do my previous usual and disappear off for 4 hours windsurfing every afternoon, and she may not be happy with the airplanes over head. I'll chat with her and see what she thinks. I think I'd really have to be surfing very close to where I'm staying to keep everyone happy and for my ability I'd say that's kanaha. I can get some water start lessons n SF before I go, either alameda or lake shoreline

Why not the gorge?...beginner / advanced only?

thanks
derek
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Event Site in Hood River — grassy area and park w playground and protected swim cove. Can sail just off there or go cross River to Bridge or up wind to Hatch on Washington side.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One great feature about the Gorge is the fact that you can usually get in a great session first thing in the morning. Other than the Delta, most locales don't get windy until the afternoon. If your late mornings and afternoons are free, there's tons to do with the family all over the Gorge.

The hard thing about the Gorge sometimes is deciding where to go. I always found that Swell City was one the best spots to sail in the morning, and it's very close to Hood River. Moreover, it has a super easy launch. Yet, there is a big downside not being able to waterstart once off the beach, because the swell action can be substantial, and if there is any current, getting back to the launch site can be difficult for less experienced sailors. Also, the issue of barges is always something to be wary of. You definitely don't want to be uphauling in the barge traffic zone. The Hatchery is very similar to Swell City since they essentially border each other on the river.

Lastly, many of the classic spots like the Hatchery, Swell City, or the Event Site can be very crowded, and that might be quite intimidating if you aren't comfortable closely mixing it up with the hordes, which often includes kiters too.
bowen1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonaire. No waterstart, no problem. Take a look at Sorobon Beach Resort, you won't have to disappear at all. You can windsurf your brains out all day and be a stones throw from the wife and baby. Not cheap, but as pointed out earlier it is low season and you can self cater your meals in the cabins there.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: