myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for a 8+m sail that fits a 460 mast
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Looking for a 8+m sail that fits a 460 mast Reply with quote

Was out the other day in some light stuff. Had I owned anything bigger; I would have been using it. Currently my largest sail is a 7.5m. Person I was sailing with was on same make/model sail(Scream). But he was on a 8m on a 460 mast; same size mast as me. I thought "why didn't I buy a 8m???" Looked and it turns out they don't make that size/model anymore and there were none for sale when I got my 7.5. I was on my super tanker/container ship 240L Viper and he was on a JP Super Lightwind. Sub planing; we were both slogging. Any decent breeze and he would take off like a missile. I may not have even got planing that day.

So to avoid buying another mast and another boom; just for one sail; do you know of any sails larger than a 7.5 that run on a 460 mast? Back when I was looking; 7.5 was as large as I could locate at the time. But I'm sure out of the possible 20+ sailmakers; I might not even know of a couple of them.

Someday I want to get a 12m rig just so I can sail that armada across the lake; just for the sight of seeing such a large sail. I've never even personally seen one. Around here; no one owns anything larger than a 9m(one person/scared to use it), some have 8's(but don't sail them); most don't even sail if it needs more then a 5m sail. Oh but their collection of 3.x and 4.x sails is extensive. And their small boards collection. A 130L is big. A 116L for light or marginal days. The sub 100 boards though.. A bunch in the van and even more at home.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy Cheetah 8.0 rigs a 460.

Ezzy also is a great answer to your tough sail question.

You also add some additional length to your 460 mast, using a mast EXTENDO, at the bottom, the extension fits into it.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was technique, body weight and possibly the board that got him going, not an extra 0.5m

If people regularly use sub-100l boards with <5m sail where you live then I'd say picks your days better.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you currently have a 7.5 there would be no point to getting an 8.0. Next size up would be a 9.0 or 9.5. Try a bigger fin. The JP comes with a 56cm. fin. Your viper has a 34.
alap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience, the sail size - the biggest I had was 10.0 Retro
I used it with Formula 158 liter board (Formula experience - i.e. detuned race Formula, but still 1 meter wide.)

I bought it as insurance against being skunked - I drive 2.5 hrs one way on the good forecast days and still sometimes the wind is too light.
Eventually I sold this rig - it was just too heavy to carry, required special place to transport and to store but most importantly it was a bit scary (recall I rig it when the wind is light and go and then the wind hits, as per forecast).

Perhaps it would be a good choice if one lives on water edge in the light air location.

My current biggest sail is 8.5 Retro (and all my sails have dedicated boom and mast, rigging-derigging and rigging again is too much for me). I use it with two boards - same Formula and also Fanatic Ray 145 liters. It depends on the wind. If it is a shlogging day - it is Formula. If it is more promise - definitely Ray. Of course I coulda get away without Formula and use one Ray only, but I have it and in a very light wind it is a bit more comfortable.

The difference between Ray and Formula with this 8.5 is huge. Yes I can pump Formula on the plane in about 1 knot earlier, but I will be blown off from the water on Ray in probably 5...7 knot stronger winds. So the range of the Ray with this 8.5 is probably 5 knots bigger. I am guessing this is because 82 cm is narrower than 100 cm, so it presents significantly less drag when planning.

Another thing is that this Ray 145 is light edition. I was thinking that with my level I won't be able to see a difference between LTD and bamboo, but the difference is huge. It presents very crisp feeling and worth every penny.
I am sure that it also contributes to the ease of pumping it on the plane.

I also used this Ray 145 with 7.0 and couple times even with 6.0 (changing to smaller fins)

Also to add to this, I had Ray 130 bamboo edition, sold week ago and replaced with Blast 115 - never been on the water yet! In fact I first bought this Ray 130 to be primarily used with 8.5

But it was good only when the wind is strong. Schlogging this Ray 130 in the lulls with 8.5 was not optimal at all - hence I got 145 that is a perfect combo for 8.5

Accordingly I know the difference between wood and LTD - 145 board is LTD, 130 is wood. Identical shape, the difference is in width/volume and the construction - 145 was lighter than 130.

So, as this Ray 130 wasn't used with 8.5 I sailed it with 7.0 but it was good on the lighter days - 73 cm allows to pump it, but as soon the wind becomes stronger it is quite a drag and it bounces in the chop (my next board is 103 liter 64 cm wide married to 6.0). Essentually I had two Rays 145 and 130 for lighter air.

I.e. my boards were 145... 130...103

So finally it is sold and I have 145...115..103 for 8.5...7.0...6.0

Keep in mind that the width was 82...73...64
and now it is 82...66...64

I am guessing my long answer perhaps tells you way more you were asking, but in my experience brief answer would be:
dont go bigger than 8.5
free race or free ride 145 liter light edition, 80+cm wide would be ideal for this sail
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm interested in an EXTENDO. Did anyone besides Powerex make one and does anyone currently make one?
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my 40% 460 weighs less than my Epoxy 400. Feels like by a lot too(was quite noticeable and I was surprised) . Haven't scaled them yet. Might tomorrow.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Now I'm interested in an EXTENDO. Did anyone besides Powerex make one and does anyone currently make one?

North Sails make one, called extender. When I researched it was not available in the USA.

Mine came from the UK, surfstore.com, shipping cost great , and quickly.

https://www.surfstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11_26&products_id=122&zenid=gggk5rqpqi1d4a188rfs8nkn86

I have a extra SDM PX one if interested, i can sell.
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread update:

Now that the Extendo is on the way here; looking for a good deal on a 8.5, 9, or 9.5 sail to run on a 490 mast.

Used to be tons of great deals here but they are drying up:

https://www.mauisails.com/shop

Looking to buy new; so if you see some sail somewhere at an unbelievably good price; let me know. Looking to get it on the cheap.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for an Ezzy Lion or HSM Speedfreak. Both are durable, fairly light and seem to be okay with a bit more flex top. Your boosted mast would be miserable in a sail designed for a stiff top, especially one with cams.
Avoid anything with more than two cams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: