myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sail stand for dock
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: sail stand for dock Reply with quote

How would you design a vertical sail stand for a dock?

Wondering if it is possible to design a vertical sail stand to hold up to a 7.5 in up to 18mph winds. It would have to pivot in the wind, be small enough to fit on a 4ft. wide wood dock and be stable. Would like it to work for a fully rigged sail and boom. I suppose it could have a forestay (an adjustable strap), but it needs to be simple, compact and easily accessible to change out sails from 4.7 - 7.5.

Crazy idea I know, but just wondering if any creative minds think it could be done. I'm thinking it starts with a long mast extension in concrete.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why rig a bunch of extra sails at one time? It's almost off-the-top to think we have that many masts, extensions and booms to rig everything at once.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this link & check out the Shaka Windsurf Center in Torbole, Italy on Lake Garda.

https://www.shakasurfcenter.com/en/live/virtual-tour

The link is a virtual tour so as you leave the shop, turn left to see the vertical sail storage.

They have a simple metal horse shoe that you place the bottom of the sail into. On the rail is a strap with a hook. You just wrap the strap around them mast under the boom & hook it to the rail. The sails pivot in the wind standing tall. Works great.

Coachg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

premature weathering not a worry?

must be rich.

have a really tall barn close to the water?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to rig on my narrow wooden dock in the wind and it’s a difficult. The wind comes and goes, so if I had 2 sails fully rigged ready to swap out, one could stay attached to the board on a buoy, the other could be on a stand. No room for 2 sails in the water or on land. It’s a way for me to spend more time windsurfing. I could rig both sails in the morning and have 2 sizes throughout the day. De-rigging in the water is super easy.

I wish I could see how they attached the sails in that photo. It looks like a big setup. It also looks like the wind only comes from one direction.

Sorry, I’m just thinking I could make a simple design, like a giant weather vane to store an extra sail so I don’t have to rig on the narrow wood dock.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garda sail holder is elaborate.
IT shows a green U at the bottom, that goes around the base of the sail. I dont think anything goes into the mast,at the top a grey strap goes around the boom head. This is all fixed on the top and bottom to the DECK.

I seem to recall you posted this problem before.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at that photo on my computer so I could get a closer look. It gives me an idea.

All I need is a secure steel pole that has a fixture for a mast base at the bottom, the boom head can attach to the top. So it’s fixed to the pole at the base and at the boom.

If I extend the steel pipe up from the lakebed, fastened to one of the dock legs and extend it up 5 ft above the decking, it would be very secure on top of the dock. In other words, two pipes attached to each other below the decking, and the one pipe extends above the dock. The design would just have to pivot in the wind to take the load off. A couple of U clamps might do the trick. One underwater attached to the dock pole, one in the middle and one just under the wood decking. The pole extends 5 feet below the dock and 5 ft. above the dock and the rig is attached to the pole? I would be using the dock leg as the real anchor. Kind of like attaching a rig to a flag pole?

Plus it would look like a really cool windsock.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Garda is unique. The wind blows from the right in the mornings & then from the left in the afternoon. U2U2 is correct, there is just an open U bar at the bottom that allows the sails to pivot with the wind. What holds the mast is a strap with grommets on both ends that slide over a small hook.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see many advantages to stashing the rigged sails on the ground at the other end of the dock. I'm guessing you've ruled that out for other reasons.

I envy your venue. I've searched in vain for decades for a place in the 48 states where I could leave all my sails rigged permanently, ready to plug and play in really good conditions, from my own lawn, on a moment's notice. That would be worth some secure housing at the dock.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep isobars, except this isn’t that place, so no envy necessary. What you need is a house on the beach in Hatteras. Six months out of the year here its a frozen wasteland. In the Winter, cars drive on the lake. It’s also a smaller lake and in the usable Summer months, I'm fighting Wakeboard boats screaming directly at me clueless. Also Summer winds are low or non existent some days. When it does blow, it’s gusty.

No complaints though. All in all, it’s a great setup for 6 months if I can make a sail stand! And yes, land isn’t an option due to a steep bluff, and rigging on the dock or in the shallow water is a must. I haven’t tried rigging in the water, maybe I should.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: