myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Slingshot bolts are too big for your board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Slingshot bolts are too big for your board Reply with quote

I'm upgrading soon to a 2019 slingshot fwind foil. I also am looking at getting a foil board(jp 135) aswell. The tuttle screws to mount the foil head are m10. Usually we use m6. At this point I'm left with 2 options.

1) buy slingshot bolts adapters, so I can use my m6 bolts.
2) drill out a new foil board to acomadate the massive m10 bolts Confused

Option number 1 give a chance of bending or breaking m6 bolts as stated by Wayatt Miller...so use a leash.
Option 2 could potentially effect the water tightness if not repaired properly. And drilling a brand new $2000 board makes me nervous.

This a very common concern for slingshot users(not using slingshot boards) so chime in if you have any ideas/suggestion Smile
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the adapters and because they are titanium which is quite brittle they broke. I was on a board which needed very long bolts which could be part of the program.
I'd definitely hesitate to drill a new board. Any reason you are dedicated to getting a slingshot foil?
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-interchangeable parts(wings, stabs, mast, fuse)
-they have very good quality of parts. Especially for the price
-they have a flange
-good size mast and fuse
-switch fuse design

I know this foil is more free ride oriented...so it's not the fastest but the 76 and 84 gives great lift and glides through lulls very well. Race foils sound cool but I don't have $$$ to shell out every time I want to win a race.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not purchase a slingshot foil board? Windance in hood river has a bunch of 135 liter ones for a screaming deal.....and they will fit the slingshot foil without modifications.

Kmf
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is the parts are the lowest quality of any foil I've seen. The switch fuse isn't a useful tuning tool (you'll run full forward).

About the only real positive are the Infinity wings.

If I was buying again I'd look elsewhere.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Dilaer 130 and the sling shot foil. At 165lbs I use the foil in the back position. Plenty of lift and stability. Other than the plastic front wing cap, I have had no issues with sling shot foil parts. It all seems to fit nicely. They sent me an updated metal cap for the wing, free. We are at the early development of windsurf foiling. I'm sure the next few years will bring many improvements. Naish has a one bolt system to attach the foil to the board and a easy to adjust track for front to back foil adjustments. It would be nice if all the foils out there would standardize to one type of attachment. That said, for a guy just getting into foiling the sling shot is a great value for the money....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having several front wing options at a reasonable price is another plus for sling shot..
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy the slingshot wizard foil board, but my store doesn't sell it. I think the dialer is a bit too narrow for me imo.

I disagree Grantmac. I've know 92 kg+ guys out on this foil with lots of success. And there masts don't bend or make huming noises like pryde mast, because they are much thicker and you can switch out lots of different wings.

As mentioned they used to have a plastic mast cap but it's now aluminum and there 2019 wings are finished much better then 2018s.

If I find a foil that checks off the boxes like this foil does I would consider a different brand.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it beside the Pryde mast and it's faaaar more flexible.

I can show you pictures of the broken wing they won't warranty which cracked through the mounting holes. Or the fuselage where the paint (it's not anodized) is literally falling off.

If you only sail fresh water I'd say it's okay, plus it's your money.
a123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre in Hood River modified my Starboard Futura 135 for a slingshot foil with M10 bolts. He reinforced the fin box with closed cell foam and carbon fiber. I have been foiling on it for over two years with no issues. The board looks like it came from the Starboard factory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: