myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lightest 4.2 sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I’m not promoting any brand , as you are.

Sheeesh, U, the OP asked for the lightest 4.2 on the market. According to your figures and my weighed custom (the dacron leech) Sinewave, the SW satisfies his stated quest regarding mass and (very likely) rotational inertia. That's facts, not promotion, and it explicitly refers to the SW model, not the brand.

Was my Ezzy weight testimony promoting Ezzy? Nope; fact.

More subjectively, I've seen many indications that a SW of any given size provides more power than many other brands and models of sails of the same size (I KNOW that very significantly applies to Feartherlites by intent and in fact) ... more evidence that we can't fit sails into our quivers based on square meters alone. It's quite possible that a 3.7 SW might provide the power range the OP wants, for even more weight savings not even counting a shorter mast and boom.

Bottom line: your figures and my data show that a dacron-leeched (a no-cost -- probably even lower cost -- option available to anyone) Northwave Sinewave is the lightest sail (maybe by far, considering its power range and total rig weight) available among the many you list. It was designed with foiling in mind by a NASA aerodynamics engineer with decades of wildly successful Northwave sail designs to his credit. Those are facts, not opinions or promotion. Why you want to try so hard to poke holes in such direct, factual responses to the OP, some based on your own data, escapes me.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoodvista wrote:
What I'm actually looking for now is the lightest 4.7 I can find which will rig on a 370 mast. This is for efficiency in getting on a plane by riding down swell in light wind like 18 mph. I like to get on a plane using this technique as opposed to muscling a giant sail.

The original request was for a 4.2 sail. Changed to the lightest 4.7 rigged on a 370mast.

Avanti Viper, Classic Wave 4.7 /370 2.9kg

Gaastra IQ 4.7 /370 3.55kg

A multitude of sails come in 4.6 4.8 and OR rig on a 400 mast. They dont fit the criteria .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoodvista wrote:
What I'm actually looking for now is the lightest 4.7 I can find which will rig on a 370 mast. This is for efficiency in getting on a plane by riding down swell in light wind like 18 mph. I like to get on a plane using this technique as opposed to muscling a giant sail.

You're overlooking other obvious and highly practical solutions, including:
• Learning to use bigger sails without using muscle. There are at least 20 advantages to doing this.

• Rigging a 4.7 on whatever mast you like. That's what adjustable tops and extensions are for. It may or may not provide optimal performance on any given sail, but many sailors do it.

• Looking more closely at the impact of a few ounces (or even pounds) of sail weight, considering that the board, not you, is supporting that weight. (After all, you're not using sinkers if your goal is efficient planing.)

• If your goal is light handling, you're asking the wrong question. Handling and mass are almost unrelated within this narrow weight range.

• Demoing a 3.7 Sinewave. I can't imagine it would plane anyone in 18 mph winds, but maybe you weigh 90 pounds and care more about efficiency than planing. I gotta ask: where do you find useful swell in winds averaging 18 mph?
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 S2 Maui Dragon 4.9 weighs in at around 2.8kg or 6.2lbs.

This sail rigs on a 370. It's a lower aspect ratio sail (short luff @ 394 and boom 167). Pretty powerful sail. More of a lower wind wave sail that lets you go out in 5.2 conditions in the waves w/ a sail that rigs on a 370. Guys here use it as a bay bump and jump sail. Good power and maneuverability with a soft feel.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
2018 S2 Maui Dragon 4.9 weighs in at around 2.8kg or 6.2lbs.

This sail rigs on a 370. It's a lower aspect ratio sail (short luff @ 394 and boom 167). Pretty powerful sail. More of a lower wind wave sail that lets you go out in 5.2 conditions in the waves w/ a sail that rigs on a 370. Guys here use it as a bay bump and jump sail. Good power and maneuverability with a soft feel.

It sounds nice. The weight is very nice.
Thanks for the update

westender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy that has very heavy sails and boards. People scratch their heads when they see him planing on small gear. Shocked
philodog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I know a guy that has very heavy sails and boards. People scratch their heads when they see him planing on small gear. Shocked

Yup. Most beginners and intermediates in any gear oriented sport think the latest greatest gear is going to make a big difference. Technique is going to overcome any gear advantage 100:1. I am always blown way looking at old windsurf videos of the quality of sailing on gear that you couldn't give away at a swap meet nowadays. A $400 ABK camp 20 years ago was the best windsurf investment I ever made. Certainly better than buying a $400 sail back then.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
westender wrote:

Yup. Most beginners and intermediates in any gear oriented sport think the latest greatest gear is going to make a big difference. Technique is going to overcome any gear advantage 100:1. I am always blown way looking at old windsurf videos of the quality of sailing on gear that you couldn't give away at a swap meet nowadays. A $400 ABK camp 20 years ago was the best windsurf investment I ever made. Certainly better than buying a $400 sail back then.

This is subjective, it depends on what you mean by a BIG difference.

westender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several people who buy new gear almost every year. All but one sails exactly the same as they always did. That one person's skills have increased. I won't credit the gear for that. Use whatever gear that will make you happy. Cool
hoodvista

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting a 4.6 Hot Sails Maui KS3. Sailed it first day today at Swell City in 20 mph wind. I liked it a lot. Very light and very powerful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: