myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoodvista

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Candlestick? Reply with quote

I plan on visiting San Fransisco the first 2 weeks of September. I used to sail Candlestick alot but haven't sailed the bay in about 5 years. What's the deal with Candlestck these days as far as sailing and parking?
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Candlestick? Reply with quote

hoodvista wrote:
I plan on visiting San Fransisco the first 2 weeks of September. I used to sail Candlestick alot but haven't sailed the bay in about 5 years. What's the deal with Candlestck these days as far as sailing and parking?

Hi!

Stick is ripping! Come and say hi! Parking is fine, there is usually space for everyone usually. Stinky sometimes, but its all good!

Elena
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of places to sail while you're in the City. The Stick starts blowing at about 2
with gusty winds that can shift westerly which will make it somewhat holey. The regulars start showing up at 3 pm. Jersey barriers have been placed in front of the wood fence but you can still park next to them. Also, more locals are fishing by the rocks just past the launch..don't get too close to their fishing lines as they get kinda ornery if you do. So If you like flat water sailing in strong, gusty offshore winds, the Stick is the place to go.

20160916_142034-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 MB
 Viewed:  27178 Time(s)

20160916_142034-1.jpg

hoodvista

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! See you guys in September.

- Mark
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Stick this Monday. Iron Fred (80 yrs young) was there parked in front of my van. I went 5.0/90L just past noon but could have been on a 4.2 an hour later ( gusts to 25 )..that's the Stick! Notice the skid marks on the road made by the sideshows that happen often at the Stick..part of its charm Wink

20180709_124933.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  476.95 KB
 Viewed:  27078 Time(s)

20180709_124933.jpg

hoodvista

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear that Fred, the energizer bunny, is still sailing the Stick. Looking forward to seeing him again. I noticed in the pic what looks like a no parking sign on the road next to the launch. Can that sign be safely ignored?
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Candlestick? Reply with quote

To be honest is a bit depressing. One one side you have the multi-billion-dollars development that has been happening at China basin, on the the other a State and City that cannot find the tiny amount of money needed to properly maintain a public park.

What you get as a result is partly depicted in the photo. It has been two years without restroom, there is no ranger presence, big sections of the parking lane are collapsing into the Bay, and now they put in those disgusting gigantic cement blocks instead of fixing the wood fence.

A real shame Shocked

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side show guys keep breaking the fence so maybe the cement is
a positive. The gangsta element is on the rise there. If they put down
the cement blocks in the middle of the wide street maybe it would dampen down things. At least they turned the shower back on . The portable bathrooms are super disgusting. Still its one of the best flat water spots
in the bay area. People park exactly where they used to. There are more stop
signs going in now and the road from the off ramp to the sailing area is pretty rough.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
The side show guys keep breaking the fence so maybe the cement is
a positive. The gangsta element is on the rise there. If they put down
the cement blocks in the middle of the wide street maybe it would dampen down things. At least they turned the shower back on . The portable bathrooms are super disgusting. Still its one of the best flat water spots
in the bay area. People park exactly where they used to. There are more stop
signs going in now and the road from the off ramp to the sailing area is pretty rough.

I am not so sure you can park safely after the sign any longer. Now you stick out in the middles of the street ... And it is way harder to go from your car to the "beach". You have to squeeze in between cements blocks that seem out of a dystopian movie.

As far as livability the problem is a State park that is left unsupervised, no ranger in sight, and in disrepair. Stick used to be a major playground. You used to see tons of children, especially in the weekend, from the local black and latino communities. Not so much any longer.

Compare how the Stick is left in total disrepair to how Crissy field, or Golden Gate Park, or almost any other of the urban parks are manicured ... It is depressing and I find the place so grim that I have stopped going there almost completely.

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
chand2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Grim Stick Reply with quote

Sad to hear that the Stick is too grim for you now. But you do have a good point. No other parks in the city are so neglected. I wonder when they will spend all the money the developers contributed to fix iup the park. Maybe after the road is completely redone. Supposedly, the money is there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: