myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Swapping out a fin box. Difficult?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
dllee wrote:
Nw30, what do you think GLASS is?
And when you rout, you widen the cavity by at least 3/16", which is enough reinforcement AROUND the box.

I think NW30 was referring to my strategy of just pouring epoxy into the existing damaged box.

True that, some people get sensitive over silly things. Also what Kevinkan said is dead on accurate.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have divinycell and a router and the marine foam (if it has not gone bad).

So I think I will give it a go.

U2U2U2 wrote:
The support around the box from the factory, is probably not sides and bottom.The PVC will have a layer of cell ON top diviny , core cell , many others do the same function, to strengthen the support around it. It comes in sheets of various thickness, 1/4 + would do. Epoxy the cell on the 4 sides, use clamps or vise till cured.

Remove the old box, you could cut with a box knife or drill holes and cut between the holes with a saw, the obvious is a router, but not necessary, you could even chisel it out, I would drill a lot of holes.

The cassette gets inserted , wrapped in glass , minimal, carbon layer desired, also. Carbon first.
The harder part is to tie the cassette into the top layer of the board, overlap glass .
Sanding , much. Assure the new box is positioned straight.

You may need to remove more PVC inside the cavity if it DOES have water damage, in this case I remove, and replace with pour foam 8lb, then cut back out to fit the box.

A option would be , remove box, with opening larger than needed by about 3/8, fill entire area with pour foam, remove pour foam enough to insert cassette with carbon/glass . This worked many many times for me.
Pour foam is watertight and very light.

Using these expectsome weight gain, epoxy is heavy.

If this box is a slot box, I would replace with a US BOX, cheaper as strong or more so, offers some fin adjustment, install procedures the same.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microballoons + epoxy makes a strong light filler. Any light wood strips make the reinforcement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: