myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need advice re Lake Champlain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danwebb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Need advice re Lake Champlain Reply with quote

I usually kite on Cape Cod, but heading to Burlington VT for a couple of days in late July, my first time. Need some local advice:
1) Where to kite?
2) How's the water? Shorty or full wetsuit??
Any other tips much appreciated!
asiat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Vermont Kiteboarding Facebook group. The most popular spots are Delta Park for south wind which is 15 minutes north of Burlington and Sandbar state park for north wind about 25 minutes north of Burlington. There's a new spot right in Burlington called the Burlington Surf Club that I haven't been to yet. I think it's $20 for the day and I think it would only be good on a north wind.

Water is up to 70° now. If it's a warm day you should be fine trunking it. Otherwise a shorty should be all you need.
DrWind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are at Champlain tomorrow, Sunday. Winds forecasted in the upper 20s from SE in the PM. White's Beach would be the call.

Lars
asiat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrWind wrote:
White's Beach would be the call.

People kite there, but a very good chance you will be solo. I think it's a sketchy launch with a Rocky beach and tree line very close to shore. I wouldn't want to self launch there. I do think the wind can be a bit stronger up there but if the wind is reading 20 or better at Colchester reef it's best to check Delta Park first.

Delta also has more variety of terrain. Shallow and flatwater for a couple hundred yards out. You are directly in the broad lake after that. Barney point which is the first point you see about a mile downwind has great swell that runs through if it's blowing at least 20. It's one tack downwind from Delta. It might take you 2 or 3 tacks to get back. There will also be kiters there if it's windy.
bill.levins@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Delta Park North Sandbar State Park water 75 no suits booties at Sandbar (shells)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: