myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fin choice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Formula fin choice Reply with quote

Does anyone have advise on sailing a starboard formula 162 in +15 knots with regards to fin choice. I have been sailing this board for one season with the 70cm r19 (which I believe it comes with?). I find that it spins out easy with my 9.9 in 13knots especially if I head upwind and put steady pressure on back leg. Should I be using this fin for <10 knots, it does seem like a good fin for lighter wind, it is vary wagy (flexy) . would a stiffer 60 cm fin be too small on a smaller sail for higher wind ? my weight is 145 lbs. I have read a aticle on carbon suger; this board is pritty fin sensitive for 08/09. I have only been on formula for 2-3 years, but love it!

Thanks in advance
Wink
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

160 lbs. with F-162, but usually sail it in more wind up to 21mph gusts. Deb r-13m never spins out unless I'm pushing too high going too slow.. 62cm. Hated stock Drake 70..too much drag in lighter winds and wanted to spin out.
Partner, same weight and f167, uses f4 62 soft, and it's a more secure fin.
Heavier sailors need more fin.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I hear guys using the Deb r13 and having success. If i buy one it would be used as custom ones and new are $$$. Have you tryed the deb r20 at all?
Do you run your mast base all the way back in light wind?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the advent of windfoil, you can find barely used Formula fins for less than $90, in great shape, everywhere.
Almost all F sailors run the track center or forward, to steady the nose, increase sail leverage and waterline since post '09 F boards have tons of nosekick and are designed for choppy waters and solid winds...hence the smaller fin to match the boards intended usage.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at your weight, spinning the fin is probably a technique issue?

upwind grinds require max boat speeds to "stand" on the fin with your back foot. being so light is probably allowing you early planing at lower speeds. assert less back foot pressure until going max speed, then subtly and slowly add more back foot pressure. also try more out haul, if you have the adj o/h kit aboard, as you turn upwind.

keep doing trials with your technique

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad.
I'm on the '12 F-167 that is gray, high rockered, and 62cm R-13M.
She is on the '09 F-162 white bottom, wood top, flatter rockered board with F4 62 wide soft fin.
It's summer here, and neither is used much, as prevelent winds are 12-22 mph. She does use her F-162 for windfoiling.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen.
Yes that is probably the case with the r19 especially in lighter winds. Thanks for the advice.

dlee.
Have you tryed the 09 f162 with the deb r13 as you said it has a flater rocker line. I have the same board 08 f162, would it help to have a shorter(62cm) softer fin in medium to strong winds like the f4?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the '09 can use bigger fin than 62 R-13 because the board planes much earlier than the '12's, and you're using it for lighter wind sailing.
Most racers my size on the old 09's were using 66 's.
Can't imagine using 70 cm. because boatspeed would be 4 mph slower than slalom boards on a reach.
There really is no answer to your fin question because our needs are different as well as our preferences. Competitive formula needs are very different from recreational needs.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the previous replys on the fin selection.
Slightly switching gears here Laughing

NEW TOPIC: FORMULA WITH A FOIL?

Has anyone tryed foiling with a formula board? Seems like a good fit considering this board is wide short and light. One foil is on sale at a local shops for a pritty decent price, model- neil pryde rs:one convertible foil(AL).
Like the idea of being able to drop 2m2 to sail in the same wind as a board without a foil.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the SanFrancisco bay Form guys and gal switched to foil on their Form boards and most switched to Tillo Windfoil boards, around 90 cm width for more friendly design. Form needs straps moved inboard and bevelled WP rails help.
Only problem is the 94cm masts like deep water and love hitting fish, rays, and other water life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: