myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2017 Fanatic Freewave 105 (Classic vs STB)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: 2017 Fanatic Freewave 105 (Classic vs STB) Reply with quote

I am trying to decide between buying a 2017 Fanatic Freewave (classic style) and the Freewave STB (stubby style). I was wondering what the differences would be between these boards and which one would suit me the best. I am a bit worried about the classic because Fanatic has discontinued it for 2018.

I have been windsurfing for 7 years and I sail in the harness/footstraps, waterstart, and have started making carve jibes (I started making carve jibes last year but still not planing out of them yet). I sail on choppy flat water a lot but I also get out wavesailing. I am still somewhat new to wavesailing but I really enjoy it. I own a 85L Fanatic Freewave (2013), a 125L Tabou Rocket (2011), and a 150L Fanatic Allwave (2014). I've used the Allwave as an introductory board to wavesailing and I am now comfortable being in the waves on smaller boards.

I'd like to use the new 105L for blasting/freeriding and also for getting out and improving my beginner skills in waves.

My sails are 4.2, 4.7, 5.3, 6.0, & 7.5. I weigh 165 lbs (75 kg).

The location where I wavesail can have large waves but they aren't very steep (basically gentle giants). Wind conditions there range from side-off to side-on (I would probably sail frontside as often as backside) with winds ranging from 15 knots (often) to 30+ knots (during storms).

Thanks for any advice/input!
dmilovich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't give you a comparison. No traditional Freewave in the family.

However, in May of 2017 I got the FW STB 105 and 95 for me and my g/f, whose sailing skills were similar to yours, although she wasn't trying planing jibes back then. I'm an experienced flat and B&J sailor, and low intermediate wave sailor and got onto the 105 instantly. She surprisingly got onto the 95 instantly as well. She was really comfortable right away on her board, even more so than her 111 JP Magic Ride, which is a nice board as well. Later that summer we added an FW STB 85 to the quiver. We've both sailed them all and they're wonderful boards.

We do some small wave sailing in both SPI and Quebec and all three boards are great in that mode, particularly in the tri-fin setup. I'm 175 lbs and really like the 105 for light wind wave sailing with a 6.1. At your weight you could sail the 95 just fine if you have decent wind (5.5 or so) but with your developing jibing skills the 105 I think will be better. You might post your question on the Fanatic Forum and see what they say on the size, but I'm pretty sure 105 would be the call. They're really helpful there.

Again, can't compare to the older Fanatic FW but I'm delighted with the FW STB 105 which I sail the most. It's great in both single and tri-fin set up. Have sailed it up to a 7.5, which works OK if you have a good single fin, although I'm more comfortable on a bigger board for that size. 7.0 would be a nice upper limit, but your Rocket is great for larger sails. The FW STB 105 jibes really nicely in flat and rough water both. Lots of support with the wide tail for help completing jibes, so you'll like that a lot. I envy your proximity to wave sailiing!

No negatives on the board at all, except that the 2017 center fins could spin out a bit, but Fanatic has moved the fin shape forward 1.5 cm on the base in the 2018 models and supposedly improved that. I don't use the stock fins at all, being in weed conditions mostly. But ocean waves and rough water, I have used the Tectonics Maui thruster tri-fin set and that rocks.

One note is that if you're in weed conditions at all, getting the right fin set up is a big challenge, but that may not apply to you. (See my postings about a year ago in this forum and the Fanatic Forum more info on that, if necessary).

You might post your question on the Fanatic Forum. They're really helpful there.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the exact experience you are looking for, but I've sailed the following FSW boards: 2015 Starboard Kode Freewave 103, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 115, 2015 Goya Tetra Freewave 109, 2015 JP FSW 111 and 102, 2015 Tabou 3S 116, 2016 Goya One 105 and the 2017 Fanatic FW Stubby 105.

Of those FSW boards I like the Fanatic FW Stubby the most. It is the most accomplished of all those boards in the waves, and holds its own on flat water too. I've used it with sails from 5.3 to 6.9. I tried a 7.5 once, but it was too big for the 105 L. I mostly sail it with the original thruster set up, but I have sailed it with a 25 cm weed single fin and it still works very well. For weed conditions I don't use the thrusters as I don't have weed thrusters and the standard thrusters were catching too much weed.

The Starboard Kode 103 was the only board of the bunch I didn't like at all.

The Tabou 116 is the most flat water oriented of that list of boards, but would still be OK for starting out in the waves.

I wouldn't overthink it too much, most of the FSW boards on the market today are excellent, the difference being whether they are more flat water oriented or wave riding oriented. I like the boards with a thruster option as it extends their range of use.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a personal preference. I have the classic and stb tested on my site in 85L. Preferred the classic for waves and the stb for everything else. In chaotic water state a conventional outline behaves better in my experience and the feedback of other locals.

Both excellent boards to improve most skills, I would be surprised if you had trouble with either of them.

ss59

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really an answer to your question but at your weight, I would suggest the 105 is a bit big for what you want to use it for. Something around 95l would take all of your sails from 6.0 down - when it is 7.5 weather you'd be on your Tabou anyway.

I have a Goya one 95 and i love it - by some distance, the best board I have ever sailed for freeride to less than perfect waves wave sailing.

btw - not at all convinced by the stubby thing as an all things to all people design - will sail a few different stubby designs next week so might change my mind.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting that none of the FSW "stubbies" are really stubby when you compare the lengths to other FSW boards, e.g. Quatro Power 105L is 228 cm, while Fanatic FreeWave Stubby 105L is 229 cm.
Jama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59 wrote:
not really an answer to your question but at your weight, I would suggest the 105 is a bit big for what you want to use it for. Something around 95l would take all of your sails from 6.0 down - when it is 7.5 weather you'd be on your Tabou anyway.

Craig from Fanatic said the same thing when I posted my message on the Fanatic Forum. I was just assuming that a 105L would the logical volume to fill the gap between my 85L Freewave and my 125L Rocket.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Fanatic Freewave 105 (Classic vs STB) Reply with quote

Jama wrote:
I am trying to decide between buying a 2017 Fanatic Freewave (classic style) and the Freewave STB (stubby style). I was wondering what the differences would be between these boards and which one would suit me the best. I am a bit worried about the classic because Fanatic has discontinued it for 2018.

The outline of a Fanatic stubby is basically that of old style board with the nose and tail truncated. Take the Fanatic FSW 85, add 15-20 cm front and back to close into a pointed front and tail and you get a 260/270 long board, circa 1998, including parallel rails.

That is: the volume numbers can be deceiving. At my weight (160) the FSW 85 rides at least 5-8 liter bigger than my RRD FSW 85, and feels way bigger than my Starboard FSW 81 that has exactly the same width. It felt fairly useless as a high wind B&J when I tried it.

So be aware of that, but anyway if you are looking at a 105L board for blasting I would get something a bit faster ... or smaller ... at my weight I am very happy with a quiver 81-90-111
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you like/have to sail in spots with lulls, shorter length boards do not slog as easily as longer ones. keep that in mind
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have quite a bit of experience on both boards...I have had classic frewave in 96L and 85L...and now have currently the stbby 105 and 85L.

I find the boards to be pretty acurate to what fanatic states. handles chop really well. peforms as a really good B&J board (with the right fins). carries throgh lulls reall well b/c of wider tail. I find i can get going in a slightly smaller sail, than previous classic...(or maybe i got more effecient ? Very Happy )

On really big waves....i haven't had the oppurtunity yet...maybe classic is better as one suggested....

another plus...they fit better in my van Smile

they are more back foot oriented....I had to slightly alter my riding style a bit...not that this is a bad thing.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: