myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard Freeride Aluminum foil in Exocet Formula board?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Starboard Freeride Aluminum foil in Exocet Formula board? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a relatively cheap and easy way to get into foiling, ideally with the Exocet Turbo Formula II board that I already own. My local SUP shop is a starboard dealer so I'm thinking of ordering one of the starboard foils from them. I'm guessing their "freeride aluminum" which has the most wing area would be the easiest and earliest flying of their foils, but I don't know.

https://starboardfoils.com/collections/frontpage/products/freeride-aluminium-1

I also notice that their aluminum foils have an extra flange at the bottom of the deep tuttle box, I assume to help distribute loads when used in a non-foil-specific board with a non-reinforced deep tuttle box.

Anyone have an experience or advice on this setup? Is this a good idea?

I had a nice 11.0 sail formula session in about 10 knots on the Gulf of Mexico yesterday, but I admit I was thinking: Could I be doing this with an 8.0 and a foil and not bouncing so much in the chop?

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh , oh

james is going to foiling

me too - getting tired of the BIG 10 meter sail
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sling Shot with aluminum and carbon wings. Its pretty heavy to carry to the water. Once up and foiling you do not feel any weight. I'm 170 lbs. and get the foil up in 10ish winds with a 5.2 sail, just takes a pump or two. Been windsurfing for 35 years and been out foiling 3 times. I have the Dialer 130 foil board and so far no bad crashes. If I over foil the nose of the board skips off the water. Friends have the starboard carbon foil and the 122 foil board. We see no real difference in the water. Except the alum. mast is shorter than the carbon on the starboard set up. This helps makes the crashes a bit less harsh but also gives you less time to adjust before you over foil. I would look at a few options because there are a lot of foils out there. I also think keep the price down until you decide if it works for you. So go alum. I went with Sling Shot because of the flight school set up. I choose the 24 inch mast to learn on and feel ready to step to the full mast. its different but lots of fun so far...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Windance has the foil works foil that's pretty much the exact same as the sling shot foil. The only difference that I can see is they use stainless screws and Sling Shot uses titanium screws. Its $750 no tax and free shipping. If you buy from them you must speak with Dave the owner. He is the shop foiling expert...
sl55

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum foil from SB is designed to work with a narrowish SB foil board of 122 liters. Formula may be a bit too wide for it. SB Race or GT will work better with formula board. You will outgrow the Slingshot after a couple times on the water. And it is designed to work best with narrower boards. Switched from Slingshot and Horue Vini to SB team set and loving it. Way more stability and speed. Using it with JP SLW154 and 7.4 and 8.4 cambered sails in light to medium winds.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since all your straps are set for formula, they're too outboard for any kind of foil, so you just go without straps for the first several days. Then, decide if you want to move the straps inboard around 2-5" depending on foil wingspan, your weight, your style, and speed to power.
If you're heavy, consider adding a couple layers of glass top and bottom in a diamond shape to reinforce the box.
Some guys say to use it till it breaks, then worry about it. I'm a cautious prevent person.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
I'm a cautious prevent person.

Not according to your earlier post regarding helmets. Laughing

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a helmet going to do when your head lands from a high jump or you catch a rail at top speed? You twist your neck.
That little bit of extra protection comes at a high price, from the extra weight but more so, from a false feel of invincibility.
Working in windsurf shops for 24 years, knowing most of the industries players, l'm sold on the fact that helmets cause more injuries than they prevent. Just how often does your head get hit, or collides with a heavy, hard object?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What's a helmet going to do when your head lands from a high jump or you catch a rail at top speed? You twist your neck.
That little bit of extra protection comes at a high price, from the extra weight but more so, from a false feel of invincibility.
Working in windsurf shops for 24 years, knowing most of the industries players, l'm sold on the fact that helmets cause more injuries than they prevent. Just how often does your head get hit, or collides with a heavy, hard object?"

LeeD, you're talking nonsense. In all my years windsurfing, I've never known of anyone that was injured because they used a helmet, and I seriously doubt that you've got any credible statistical data proving your point.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl55 wrote:
Aluminum foil from SB is designed to work with a narrowish SB foil board of 122 liters. Formula may be a bit too wide for it. SB Race or GT will work better with formula board. You will outgrow the Slingshot after a couple times on the water. And it is designed to work best with narrower boards. Switched from Slingshot and Horue Vini to SB team set and loving it. Way more stability and speed. Using it with JP SLW154 and 7.4 and 8.4 cambered sails in light to medium winds.

So, you reckon the SB freeride foil won't be good on a formula board, but the SB GT will? Why is that? What wing/mast/fuselage combo from the team set do you use when you're riding on the JP SLW?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: