myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard Freeride Aluminum foil in Exocet Formula board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO foil is currently designed for Formula boards.
All the foils on the market, including kitefoils, can work on Formula boards.
Notice, very few surfers wear helmets, even at Pipeline, where wearing a helmet almost starts to make sense.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a Foil Works foil with Windance Tuttle Power Plate on an old Starboard, it works great as a cheap way in to windfoiling. I was just out sailing ith a 4.2 and got bonked hard by the mast. I was very glad I had my helmet on. I have been wearing a helmet kiting and high wind windsurfing for years and find the whole whiplash argument laughable.
bert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also foil nowadays..don't wear a helmet as it may mess up my coiffed hair Cool
brand_adam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
I also foil nowadays..don't wear a helmet as it may mess up my coiffed hair Cool

I respect that reason more than the whiplash argument!
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may wear your Gath helmet with darkened full face shield and facecage, DaKine flak vest, half fingered gloves, two CTI kneebraces, copper infused lower back brace, an AMA approved neck brace, and a pair of Iso kneebraces with a quart of sunscreen if you want, but don't let go of your boom.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
What's a helmet going to do when your head lands from a high jump or you catch a rail at top speed? You twist your neck.
That little bit of extra protection comes at a high price, from the extra weight but more so, from a false feel of invincibility.
Working in windsurf shops for 24 years, knowing most of the industries players, l'm sold on the fact that helmets cause more injuries than they prevent. Just how often does your head get hit, or collides with a heavy, hard object?

Really? That seems a bit out of the left field and comes with no data to support the claim ... I have personally never heard of a helmet causing a windsurfing injury, although the claim reminds me of the nonsense that anti-helmets advocates were spreading when the motorcycle helmet law was introduced in california.

But there is one small potentially deadly accident that can happen while windsurfing: hitting your head on the mast or board. And if not deadly it can certainly heart a lot! Wearing something like a Gath helmet is a cheap insurance that comes with almost zero weight penalty. And for the ... bold among us it is a nice way to protect your head from the sun ...
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorbikes weigh upwards to 500 lbs., can get hit by 5 ton trucks, fall on cement and onto cars at upwards of 30-160 mph.
You windsurf at upwards of 34 mph, almost EVERYone else on this forum closer to 24 mph, you fall in the water, and your board weighs 16 lbs. while your rig weighs 17 lbs.
Are you seriously comparing the dangers of motorbike riding to the dangers of windsurfing? Do you wear a helmet to play tennis, soccer, or basketball?
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD, there's nobody out there saying that you have to wear a helmet or any other kind of safety gear, so what is your problem? Your foolish rant above only serves to reveal your pettiness and outright disdain for others.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument FOR wearing a helmet is weak, except for the very few who are pushing their personal envelope.
Windsurfing is safer than basketball, even approaching tennis..and you can twist ankles/knees, fall on your face, and bang heads with your partner or even your own racket. Do you see basketball players wearing helmets?
Do you wear a helmet inside your car? Which can injure your head more often? Driving a car? Or windsurfing?
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile in the PWA...full of professionals with helmets on!

43590538-06E0-4A01-A4BB-C567ED6F4C96.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.07 KB
 Viewed:  12487 Time(s)

43590538-06E0-4A01-A4BB-C567ED6F4C96.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: