myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HR Sail Park Exclusive Use Parking for Boat Event Concern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It' great to see all the different water users coming to the Gorge and taking advantage of the fantastic conditions. I think what may have upset some people was the Paddlers taking over the waterfront park to the exclusion of others.

It's understandable for the City to charge for use of the grassy park area and the port to charge for the parking lot but what both entities forgot was that the CGWA/Windsurfers paid for the launch to be put in. They were then excluded for a week from using something they had paid for.

As a good neighbor the organizers of the Paddle challenge would be well advised to acknowledge this, approach the CGWA and offer to make a donation to help with river access. I'm sure the majority of windsurfers would appreciate the gesture. Hopefully next year we can coexist and share the Waterfront Park launch in harmony.
merriam2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HR Sail Park Exclusive Use Parking for Boat Event Concern Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:

As for the Hook as an alternative site for multiple sports/crafts, the Hook launch and rigging area was developed and (I am pretty sure) financed by the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association, a.k.a. CGWA. As were Blackberry Beach and Swell City. It is predominantly a windsurfing site. Other boaters might need a reminder of this. Or maybe there needs to be some low profile signage to this effect... unless we want to nudge windsurfing in the Gorge even closer to death. Because it really is valuable as an accessible location for beginners, intermediates, AND advanced windsurfers (it is feasible for launching/landing in order to access the strong wind and swell between Swell City and the White Salmon River).

*Situations and places like this are reasons for organizing, joining, and supporting the CGWA.*

Yes, CGWA was involved with the Port and Parks and Rec department. It is not exclusively for windsurfing! By the way, I agree we should all support the great work CGWA does.(join if you aren't a member.)

You may be uninformed about the history of the waterfront. The entire area is a man-made infill to what was previously a marshy flood plain. It was developed long before windsurfing was around, but we have benefited from many of the improvements. The area is for everyone, isn't diversity great?

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2015/feb/21/hook-project-provides-great-new-river-access/
Waterlou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My complaint about the event is that in Hood River we have an event site. It's even called The Event Site. I thought this place was for events. In front of The Event Site there are a couple of acres of parking for trucks pulling trailers with long boats on them.

We also have a waterfront park that was built by locals, with donations by many of us, which was built for people who want to swim (in the cove) or windsurf (which is why the windsurfing access was built) or just have a picnic and hang out on a hot day. There is virtually no other place to go for a swim or hang out by the river in the area.

So this downwind event wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been an all week thing. All week on one of the hottest weeks of the year, right in the middle of summer is way to much, in my opinion. Many of us like to stop down there in the middle of the day for a quick session, then go back to work. Yes, we could drive to The Hatchery/Cheap Beach/Swell City, or to Doug's, or maybe Rock Creek, but then it turns into an all afternoon deal. There's always Viento...no wait, they took over Viento too. By the way, the river access at Viento was built by Fred Noble, for windsurfers, back in the days when there was no way to get to the river.

My vote is for this event to be relocated next year to Bingen. There's plenty of parking, they won't be taking any space away from anyone else, and Bingen could use the business. Starting at Home Valley and ending at Bingen. A longer distance would help space them out, I'm guessing. Another option is Bingen to The Dalles.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Hood River has finally reached explosive incapacity! LOVE it! Let's go, BINGEN! Let's go, MOSIER! Smile Yeah, buh bye, Hood River, CA!

1) Viento to Rock Creek/Mosier for the epic paddle races!
Food and drink are within walking distance. And there is no need to cross the Columbia. Camping at Rock Creek or in the Mosier schoolyard?
(I can feel the hate from some brewing already. )

2) The artificial turf area of the Hook is sufficient for rigging windsurfers. But it is nowhere near big enough for more than 1 huge eggshell foof-boat to be "stored" indefinitely and still allow for safe rigging space. Machu has correctly noted this.

3) Just because the Port has been excluding parking for events for years doesn't make it innocent of breaching average Joe parking contracts. I have never bought the pass (I have managed via pre-$ Luhr Jensen parking lot and the always-free but kinda dirty Hook). Is there any verbiage relating to event contracts superceding average Joe parking contracts when you buy the pass? I bet there is not.

3.5) The Hook is indeed THE place for beginners and intermediates to safely build skills in the Gorge. A lot of people have not been there for years or decades and may be out of touch. The Hook is IT, for various reasons. I use it between 10-20x/year to launch myself and sometimes teach skills.

4) I like (a lot) ldhr's idea of opening that vacant lot to the south of the Event Site for free parking. I am pretty sure the lazy, slightly-debilitated, etc. will still pay for the paved lot and it would still fill up. And the vacant lot would get UTILIZED (at least until it is "developed" into something else that makes money). However, if so, that stretch of road between would probably have to be closed for safety reasons, at least for the summer months, due to prolific foot traffic. No big deal.

5) I am pretty sure Fred Noble (windsurfer) helped get the Hook ramp/rigging area idea going, Blackberry Beach developed, etc. LONG LIVE FRED. RIP.

Last edited by biffmalibu on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
merriam2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pretty good and reasonable ideas here. I agree with Speedroo and Waterlou (nice rhyming names) about the big event and other options for it.

My main point it that the Hook still has some improvement potential for additional increased diverse use (so we can become more like California for Biff's enjoyment.) Cool
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that wonders what the deal was.

https://www.gorgedownwindchamps.com/

https://www.facebook.com/GorgeDownwindChamps/
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, from my perspective having this event centered in HR is a good thing. Perhaps a great thing. Moreover, the more Columbia recreationalists we have, the greater influence we have with respect to increased access to The Columbia.

I would like to see this event remain in Hood River.

My concern is the exclusive use, for 7-8 days that effectively locked out other users, local, and visitors alike. It felt very disproportionate, and unnecessary to me.

The Port has several members who sail/kite/paddle. They get it. Within 24 hours I received two replies, one on a Sunday, from Port Board members, in which they stated that moving forward they are very interested in doing this event differently.

Cycle Oregon is a great example of how hundreds of folks, can utilize often very small spaces effectively--camping in small spaces on University lawns in the middle of campus with everything else going on that normally would. Off Site parking with shuttles, local high school teams participate in gear hauling as a fund raising opportunity, etc.

The only way they will hear you, is if you speak to them--directly.

Thanks,
Eric
HR
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people still kite and sail in Hood River? I thought all you could
do was buy pot, get drunk, and go out to dinner.
nada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw Steve, that's just what you do..

I've always thought that most of the launches in HR were awful. Pick any day at the Event Site and tell me it doesn't look like the opening of Saving Private Ryan - carnage and bodies everywhere, plus a horrible setup due to the jetty that makes the wind bounce wildly.

Inside the Hook is great for safely learning the basics (and for the CGWA's awesome Groms program!) since its's shallow and you can't get sucked away by any current, but the wind shadow from Wells makes the outside fairly useless for getting your waterstarts or anything else dialed.

Sort of surprised no one has mentioned Stevenson which, despite being a time capsule from the early days of the sport, is an awesome place for beginners or intermediates to get their game going.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't want to go to Stevenson. Only old people who all wear all of the safety gear go there. No swell, No cool kiter chicks to drool over, and only BIG sails and BIG boards can work there.

All the cool people go to the Event Site or the Hatch.

KMF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: