myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
streamlined boom head clamping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watermonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: streamlined boom head clamping Reply with quote

I have one of the black-strap standard Streamlined boom heads on an older HPL boom. It's always been a hassle to get the clamping of the mast correct...I often have a gap right where the strap latches back to the clamp despite being pretty tight. Any suggestions on how to get this correct? I'm about to use this with a skinny mast (which I have a thick shim/adaptor for)...not sure if that makes this more of a problem or less.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest things I've found to a solution are these:
Get it set right once, and use a silver pen to mark the strap so creep is detected early. Isthmus says any gap between mast and boom head seems to promote early failures in the head's aluminum body, and advises to cinch it very tight.

Do not use a given head for different masts if adjustment is required. It's just not worth the hassle.

Great concept, but I've never quite trusted mine. OTOH, I've also gotten rid of my HPL booms because their heads failed WAY too often and they refused to stand behind them.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that older-style Streamlined head needed correct tension to seat securely on the mast. any creep in the straps would result in the head slipping on the mast, and the straps are very hard to re-adjust. one solution I had was to use some thin plastic strips between the black straps and orange urethane pads to shim/tighten the tension.

the newer dyneema head by streamlined does away with all of these problems. it's easily adjustable and has a large sweet spot for correct adjustment.

using an RDM adaptor with your older SDM mast I would think would give you a larger sweet spot for correct tension.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: