myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board project, core repair
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I am a complete novice with serious board repair but I'd like to give it a go with a really old (1989 I think) Mistral Screamer, my first short board which I loved and would like to sail again. It has a soft deck. Anyone know whether the repair materials suggested above would be suitable for a Screamer of that vintage? It is a DCS. Thanks.

Thombiz , is a great resource.

The best board repair person , IMO, told me There is more than one way to bake a cake. Meaning lots of variations to repair. That all work to an acceptable level.

You should consider that the cost of materials will exceed the value of the board. Pour foam, epoxy , glass, carbon, are costly. Local source helps

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I have no doubt that the Screamer is worthless to anyone but me. But I had years of fun on it and would like to see it back in action......and perhaps learn a new skill. It's that whole "melting" thing that is a bit alarming. I don't want a Wicked Witch of the West incident! I'll take it slowly. Thanks for the advice.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Oh, I have no doubt that the Screamer is worthless to anyone but me. But I had years of fun on it and would like to see it back in action......and perhaps learn a new skill. It's that whole "melting" thing that is a bit alarming. I don't want a Wicked Witch of the West incident! I'll take it slowly. Thanks for the advice.

Learning to do board repairs is definitely worth the time and a couple of hundred dollars. At the very least, you loose the fear of damaging the nose of your boards in catapults. And a "worthless" board that you like is perfect for learning.

Heat during polymerization is definitely an issue. Thin layers, as thombiz suggested, are the answer, especially inside the board. You also want to use slow hardener, but that alone is not enough if you use a lot of epoxy (check http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-nose-job.html for a melting example).

Melting is a much bigger concern for epoxy than for polyurethane foam, since the density is much higher. For example, epoxy injection is generally a bad idea - check the pictures at https://boardlady.com/injection.htm
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe, if I remember correctly, your Screamer most likely has an ASA skin over the epoxy, fiberglass and EPS foam interior structure. The telltale for the DCS construction is a bead that runs along the rails of the board that was created by the molding process.

To get the kind of adherence you need in an epoxy repair, you must completely sand away the ASA skin down to reveal the epoxy/fiberglass laminations underneath in all areas being repaired. By doing that, it will be nearly impossible to replicate the original graphic look of the board after the primary repair work is complete. In the end, you can paint over the repair and try to get a good general color match, or another approach would be trying to create a different more artistic look where you can use one or more colors to establish your own graphic design. In the past U2 has done that in many of his different repair efforts with very interesting results.

Good luck with the project.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both for the advice. I hadn't thought as far as repainting (and giving my fellow sailors opportunities for "lipstick on a pig" references!) However, that might be an interesting project also.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rebuilt several boards (and done artwork for a couple of new ones) and I always found the most gratifying part to be the new custom graphics, you should give that a go as well, it'll get in your blood.

-Craig

p.s. I once rebuilt an epoxy Velocity Spoon with a full new deck, for just the
experience you are trying to have. When that board was new, we all
thought the ride was incredible! Getting back on it after 15 years of advancing technology, my friends all said it was a pretty average to marginal ride, and I had to concur. You may find the experience of riding
your beloved short board not quite as rewarding as you remember it.

Still fun for a project though.

mrgybe wrote:
Thanks to both for the advice. I hadn't thought as far as repainting (and giving my fellow sailors opportunities for "lipstick on a pig" references!) However, that might be an interesting project also.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
You may find the experience of riding your beloved short board not quite as rewarding as you remember it.

Not so fast! With a newly hardened (if a bit melted) body, sloppily executed graphics, a similar vintage North Prisma and flex top mast, I'm fully expecting to re-live my glory days.............probably right up to the moment I hit the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: