myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2018 inflatables
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: 2018 inflatables Reply with quote

I'm hearing good things about the 2018 inflatables compared with previous years - sounds like they're getting the technology right with the hard rails.
Has anyone tried say a JP Magic Air, Explorair vs a Starboard Airplane?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the Duo 129 but unless I want to take a European vacation a demo is not going to happen. So instead I'll wait another year.
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess no-one tried these much then...
For the price, l guess it's really only for those without a garage or camper van Smile
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boards say a volume of 200 but act like a 150.
Does this mean they will have stability like a 150 or just in terms of getting on the plane? The actual float is 200.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This info is 2nd hand from a shop owner, who got the Sterbrd version ,mentioned , he had nothing good to say. This from at the introduction. I have seen one used by a real windsurfer , dont know what company. I dont see any advantage or interest in these, unless transport or storage is a priority.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed the airplane 285 first generation. And have the rrd free ride 150.
The airplane had a daggerboard. Overall it was a good/decent performing big board. Great stability....excellent for leaning on. You wouldn’t have to worry about cracking the deck with a mast. I got the airplane to get up on plane.....but very draggy (all the boxes sticking out the bottom).....they since refined this.

The rrd I have is for a trainer for the kids....and when they don’t want to try windsurfing .....they use it had a pool raft. We use this on the boat.

The rrd gets up on plane easier than the big airplane....but it is inflatable...so they stevdraggy somewhat (although the other day on a 5.7 I was able to keep up with most people on the water ). The volume is hard to say....it is very boyant in the tail. One can stay in the straps if the wind dies....and wait for the gust to come back. Very comfy on the feet as far a choo. Can carve it.....but it’s like steering a truck. For what it is .....it’s pretty neat. But not replacing the hard board anytime soon.

The duo boards looks interesting.....will have to wait and see.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duo can't be that slow:
https://touch.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2042839062670730&id=1846554818965823&anchor_composer=false

But perhaps a very fast rider is good on anything. The shape doesn't "look" fast (not that wide, no cutouts).
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read there's a lot of difference between the 2016, 2017, 2018 versions by all companies...as the r&d is progressing
Difficult to get a demo...
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Chinook 11'6" dual-purpose paddleboard/windsurfer, and found it to be very good in both disciplines. Fun to toodle around on in light winds, passable in planing conditions, and an excellent teaching platform. Taught a random stranger to sail, had it going in about 15 minutes, plus the board won't hurt you if you fall on it. Taught a 6'7" 280-pound ex football player to paddleboard on it, only board that would float him (275 liters). Totally sucks in waves, but that's to be expected. Kind of a pain to inflate.

Will never replace a hard board, don't expect it to.

AG80

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Starboard Blend Inflatable 11-2 for travelling to my in-laws who live on the Gulf coast of Florida. It has lived up to my expectations, you just need to lower your expectations.
The wind there is generally light (5-15 mph) and the waves are small (1-3 ft). I use it to paddle and sail and to teach the family in those conditions. It is very easy to paddle both flat water and to get into the waves. I use a 6.5 m sail and have fun just being able to get on the water.
It is a good overall fun board that folds up into it's bag that can be rolled and checked onto an airplane as regular baggage.
It comes with a mast track insert and uses a regular mast base.
It also has a bottom insert for a central fin to assist upwind ability. I don't use this feature, but it is helpful when teaching others to windsurf.

I also take it to the lake at home to SUP and use in our typical 5-15 mph winds.

ttps://www.windsurf.co.uk/test/starboard-windsup-inflatable-blend-zen-2017-review/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: