myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sail aging, wrinkles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
systemslib

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: sail aging, wrinkles Reply with quote

Hello
I have approximately 300 sail hours on my ezzy cheetah. I am curious about the slow spread of vericose vein creases / wrinkles that seem to inevitably occur, mostly near the boom clamp but slowly spreading. The sail itself still is in good shape, but you can see the aging via the wrinkles, clouding, fading colors, mast sleeve going limp, etc.

I figure this sail taken care of should last 700-800 hours based on wear rate. Does it make sense to put some tape or stickers over the worst area of creasing near the boom clamp to reinforce or just leave as is. Other than one small spot that tore on the sleeve (stitched over with sail thread) the sail is wearing well but would like to make it last as long as possible. The damage always seems to be on derigging, the large 8.0 size seem to make it worse. On windy days I actually derig the sail in the water to keep flapping from occurring, but the sail bunches inevitably when pulling the sdm mast. I always dry the sail in dark dehumidifed area, then roll and store horizontal in bag. I tend to take good care of things to get maximum use.

Also does the sail stretch enough over time where boom length should be set one notch longer than recommended on setting?
thanks
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the Ezzy video on rigging and de-rigging on his site. Most damage happens during this process. I always have someone hold my head cap when I pull my mast out.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ...
a few wrinkles are always cute ...

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact
David@ezzy.com

Since you think this should last longer, you have a issue with durability.
Why ask us ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I always have someone hold my head cap when I pull my mast out."

You must be joking, right?
thombiz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are doing all the right things to extend the useful life of your sail. I know because I take similar care of my sails, and yes, it works. Adding tape to the creases will probably make you feel better but not help the sail. I also repair sails, nearly 10,000 to date, and it's good to see people taking good care of their sails. Gives me more good time on the water. As for holding the head cap, no need. Just spin the mast by hand as you pull it out.. Ezzy designed the luff sleeves so that would cause less stress to the sail when unrigging. Have fun.
systemslib

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks thombiz, always appreciate your very useful posts on repairs. I figure the tape was feel good and only deployed if cracks or holes occur.

Yeah, I have watched many of the ezzy videos which are great esp on winter days here! Really do like the sail and build quality, I am sure david ezzy would say the hookima rdm is the way to go!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The larger size like your 8.0m from my experience work better on a SDM. I always used a powerex 100% SDM ON MY 7.5 CHEETAH. David would say that the mast bend curve is more important than RDM or SDM. On 490mast I would never use a RDM.

Tombiz is indeed a good source.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to RDM masts on larger sails, I think the new RDM's are proving themselves. For me, a larger sail starts at my Ezzy Infinity 7.5 and it rigs exceptionally well on a 460 Nolimitz Sumo and almost as well on a Sailworks Backbone 460. I also had an 8.3 Windwing Hammer. That sail wasn't cut very well, but it did work on both 460 RDM's. I'd like to see that 8.0 Cheetah rigged on a Nolimitz F.A.S.T. RDM. I'm thinking it would work very well.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I be joking about a way to reduce damage and extend the life of a very expensive sail. If no one is around I use an old down haul rope attached to a post and the head cap strap to slide out the mast. Any ceasing or crinkling is eliminated and its faster..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: