myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which board will plane out earlier?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chophop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Which board will plane out earlier? Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Heading for The Gorge and it ain't what it used to be. Not as much strong consistent wind as in the old days.

I am taking a big board for sailing in like 15 to 20 mph; with a 5.6 or 6.2. My choices are a 2005 Fanatic Goya FSW 95 l or a 2011? RRD wave cult 99 l.

Which one will plane out sooner and carry the big sail with more style?

I weigh 170.

Many thanks, Chophop Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, the RRD is a wave board, thinking its has a multi fin set up. The Fanatic with a single fin should be the better choice.

I see some comments coming your way, THe Gorge ain’t what ?

Gentleman ?

The answer is which sail matches which board in a trendy Wendy fashion plate POV ?

Sure hope this helps. Do they still sell the magic 8 Ball ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
chophop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular wave cult is a single fin.

I am not really familiar with it or the Wave Cult in general and I did not know if it was more of a global wave onshore wave or a full on high rocker Hookipa type board.

From my non statistical non scientific observations, the Gorge is much worse than it was say 20 years ago. Many more longer and hotter heatwaves and the wind now seems to cycle in 10 minute increments between 10 and twenty five at the Hatch. Exclamation
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late '90s, the corridor saw two 14-day wind-dead heat waves (triple digit temps, single digit breezes if that) in one July. The only consistent change I've noted since then has been the death of dawn patrol.

R.I.P.

But you're smart in bringing a light-air board (by Gorge standards). A 6.2 and 90+ liters will boost your odds of planing even in the best of years, useable swell can accompany steady 6.2 wind, extra flotation can fill in a lot of wind holes, and driving just a few miles can make a big difference.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chophop wrote:
This particular wave cult is a single fin.

I am not really familiar with it or the Wave Cult in general and I did not know if it was more of a global wave onshore wave or a full on high rocker Hookipa type board.

From my non statistical non scientific observations, the Gorge is much worse than it was say 20 years ago. Many more longer and hotter heatwaves and the wind now seems to cycle in 10 minute increments between 10 and twenty five at the Hatch. Exclamation

The RRD being a single would even the playing field some, the FSW Fanatic would still win out. Real world wave , Global this that are phrases used bt the companies, a bit of internet research for test or reviews would be entertaining on the character of the WC.

kmf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RRD Wave Cult series is the “all around wave board” for RRD. I own a WC 76, and find it a great board, planes quick, is maneuverable and fast . smooth in gorge chop too. I have ridden a WC 80 and a WC 92 all single fins, and think that all three are good fun boards.

That being said, for lighter winds, I use a RRD FSW 88 here in the gorge for sails 4.2 to 5.6...I weigh 150. In my fat days, (185), I used a RRD FSW 94
For 4.6 to 6.0.

Lots depends on where you intend to sail. If you are a Hatch, Doug’s, and The Wall sort of guy, I would pick the WAve Cult.

KMF
kmf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that I use the RRD WAve Cult 76 with 3.4 to 4.8 sails here in the gorge. So I find the WCult to be a great board with a wide range of use. I would think that the WC 99 would have similar attributes.

KMF
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried them both in 85 and 77.
In terms of pure planing the fsw will be more passive (planes and stays on a plane with less/no effort). The wave cult may be softer over chop and will feel more connected in the turns.

I really really liked the wave cult. Maybe the jp single thruster was similar in terms connection. The wave cult felt like it had great pop too.
I was impressed.

Bottom line, if you are powered wave cult, light-to-mid fsw.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentleman & Ladies

A 99L doesn’t directly releate to a 89 or 79 in the same brand. It actually doesnt releate from year to year on a continued basis.

The koolest board ever is my Red October , he doesnt have it either

capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
A 99L doesn’t directly releate to a 89 or 79 in the same brand. It actually doesnt releate from year to year on a continued basis.

Yes, I've noticed that too. I have 2 different sizes of the 2017 Goya Custom Quad, and the one size I like, while the other size just doesn't wave ride nearly as nicely. Weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: