myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to store board in HOT sun?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalaniwavo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: How to store board in HOT sun? Reply with quote

Hey, I just recently moved and given my current circumstances I can now windsurf after work!! But I ONLY have time if I bring my gear with me to work and keep it in the car. I have room inside the car for everything but the board HAS to go on the racks up top. I work close to Sacramento and it's pretty much 100+ degrees every day now.

Better to store the board naked let it bake in the sun or put it in a bag and let it bake in an oven? Are there ANY other solutions I'm not thinking about? Going home after work or storing gear inside at work is not an option unfortunately. Maybe a trailer is in my future... Lemme know! Thanks!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the vent screw out , leave on top, NO bag.
Store UNDER the car , a option , not ideal. But nothing is.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the board's underbelly is stark white. Even dark spots can overheat the underlying structure enough to damage it locally, and of course you wouldn't want the deck pads or straps soaking up all that uv or ir.
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the straps are wet any you put in a bag with the vent screw
open you are putting in in a sauna .
Which means the water from the straps goes in the board.
If your bag has foil heat coating and the straps are dry I would say
the bag is a better option with the vent plug out.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a unzipped foil bag with the vent open should be fine. The bag is mostly for UV protection. Lots of sailors do this while at work. If the straps are wet, just leave the bag unzipped all the way so the straps are exposed to air. It won't be a sauna if it's unzipped. The straps will dry out quick anyway in that low humidity heat of Sacramento.
That said the ultimate for stealth equipment at work is a minivan or SUV with everything inside.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Park in the shade.
2. Take board with you at work.
3. Leave board at the spot.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warning.

vent screw out is bad news when left outside, bagged or not. it does rain some virtually everywhere in California with a few exceptions.

especially bad to have vent screw out while driving in rain. wind driven water travels in strange directions.

repeat, do not leave vent screw out while outdoors.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiant barrier bubble wrap. The kind with foil on both sides. Probably find at Home Depot. Cut a piece to match the board outline. It’s like a board bag but has no bottom or sides so it breathes. Going to use it for a yet to be purchased SUP stored on my dock all Summer.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tape over the vent hole and prick a small hole, if rain is a concern. I doubt that in Sacramento in August . At this point the board may not have one or a gore Tex one.

I would not use a bag.. Wet in a bag is very bad.

I would be more concerned with theft . 3 days repeated travel at much higher elevation , have caused no damage.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to store board in HOT sun? Reply with quote

kalaniwavo wrote:
Hey, I just recently moved and given my current circumstances I can now windsurf after work!! But I ONLY have time if I bring my gear with me to work and keep it in the car. I have room inside the car for everything but the board HAS to go on the racks up top. I work close to Sacramento and it's pretty much 100+ degrees every day now.

Better to store the board naked let it bake in the sun or put it in a bag and let it bake in an oven? Are there ANY other solutions I'm not thinking about? Going home after work or storing gear inside at work is not an option unfortunately. Maybe a trailer is in my future... Lemme know! Thanks!

A white-bottom board is fine facing the sun; I did it for years in SoCal. Just open the vent. I used a sharpie to draw an arrow pointing to the vent as a helpful reminder.

Most modern bags include a foil side. Place that up, regardless if the board must be flipped from how you usually put it into the bag. Leave the bag unzipped on one side and the board will not get too hot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: