myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling Upwind - any tips?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryn,

You are sailing in Kailua Bay which has no noticeable current. Yesterday I was sailing against a 3knt flood tide in 12 knt winds where the wind & water are going in the same direction. I had no problem going upwind with a 6.0 sail. The Naish board goes up wind fine, you just have to learn the technique.

Coachg
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Coachg, I am going to work on it. Hopefully I will get the hang of it.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Coachg, you said:

"My front knee is bent and back leg fully straight as I swing forward & outward to go upwind."

This was the key. I focused today on doing that and I felt I could stay up wind better.

coachg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome Bryn, glad I could help. Not all foiling kits are going the boring upwind/downwind/BAF boring formula route. Check out this move by Andy Bradt at Sherman Island the other day.

https://vimeo.com/286193431

Coachg
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice move. I hope one day I will have that kind of sail and board control.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
You are welcome Bryn, glad I could help. Not all foiling kits are going the boring upwind/downwind/BAF boring formula route. Check out this move by Andy Bradt at Sherman Island the other day.

https://vimeo.com/286193431

Coachg

Coachg, you first person I know that described formula upwind, downwind boring... Physical, technical, sometimes even scary, yes... But never boring. Actually, foil racing vs. formula makes it even more intense with better angles,, but sail -2m2 and flying above
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergio, I think you are confused about the difference between formula sailing & formula racing and the same can be said about foil sailing vs. foil racing. I would guess that fewer than 10% of windsurfers actually race & out here on the west coast & Hawaii I would guess even less than that have ever sailed a formula board. I'm one of the 10% that raced both slalom & formula. I found racing formula exciting for all the reasons you stated. However, free sailing a formula board on a light wind day looked & felt boring. The biggest response from people I tried to get into formula was that it looked boring.

Same with foil. The majorities are not going to get into foil to race & will not need extreme upwind or downwind angles. Bryn is a perfect example. He just needs to get upwind well enough to catch the next swell to ride downwind.

Coachg
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in Miami and prior to it in Wisconsin/ Illinois area, plenty of people on formula due to avg. light winds, no complaint about formula being boring, most as you point out didn't race. Main complain,sails too big, too physical, big race sails frigile and complex to rig,,etc... Now, in Miami most regulars switched from formula to foil, all very excited, all diif types of foils, but many race ones, we do ride them in ocean swell,waves, not just flat water.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Coach. Freeriding a formula is about as exciting as sailing a dinghy or longboard in similar conditions. A step above SUP but that's not saying much.
A foil (provided I'm not slogging) is much more fun/playful, especially the slower/surfy ones.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I'm with Coach. Freeriding a formula is about as exciting as sailing a dinghy or longboard in similar conditions. A step above SUP but that's not saying much.
A foil (provided I'm not slogging) is much more fun/playful, especially the slower/surfy ones.

Using formula as a freeride usually done to get planning in light wind conditions, in the last few years with x-large slalom boards > 150 l ,
92 cm+ wide became easier, less demanding choice for people that live where avg wind under 12kn.. comparing shlogging on a lonboard,etc vs. planning,,, I guess, we all have our preferences. I personally don't find slalom on the reach that exciting anymore unless racing, but many think it's a blast. As for windfoiling, it hard to make any judgment since we just in the early days of development. That's said , Naish offering at least on paper is a pure freeride design, no upwind/downwind potential, speed is limited to higher drag, early planning limited due to sail size/ board width.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: