myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling Upwind - any tips?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SergioKapul wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
Does his wing have a raw carbon finish with orange edges? And is it much lighter weight?

The new wings are a lot more sophisticated than the first generation. They are limited by the poorly engineered rest of the system unfortunately.
don't think so, he got it maybe 6 months ago. As for design and finish, it does look a bit crude,, that's among other reasons I stick with custom toys, plus I have my say in the design and since guy is in Miami get to try new stuff, some are coming in next month... It's exciting times with windfoil development.

The new wings are vastly better designed and finished plus the largest is over twice the area.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Other than how to sail the Naish up wind I have not offered any advice on foiling in this thread so I'm not sure why you thought I did. I did correct your inaccuracies on the Naish foil setup so on that we were far apart. I did state observations that people have expressed to me when I'm teaching windsurfing at the local sailing club, local college & ABK on foiling but observations are not advice.

If you think I am advising people not to pursue large sails or boards than you couldn't be more wrong. I own a formula board along with 9.2 & 10 meter sails. I never tell someone not to get a bigger sail or board. If someone already has a large board & sail I encourage them to try foiling & make a note that the cost will drop as more used foils enter the market. I tell them the advantages & disadvantages of such an adventure. There are people like you & I that are willing to use large sails & boards in light winds, but you & I are in the minority based on my interactions over the years with both students & observers. You may not want to hear that, you may want to think that the majority wants to sail like you, but alas, I feel that is not true. That is why I said that the foil industry needs to follow the Naish development of easier, faster flying foils using normal sized boards & sails instead of the high end, high wind development requiring huge boards & sails. I think that will reach the majority & bring more people into windsurfing.

Coachg

Coachg, based on my little survey outside of top windsurfing spots,
Ppl already use big gear. Its either that or staying on the couch,or playing golf... As ive seen many time, if you live in windy spot, your idea of light wind is fundmentaly different from mine and many others reality, therefore your advice when it comes to light wind is so wrong.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergio,

I don't have to be Captain Obvious to point out the errors of drawing conclusions in your little survey. As for advice, I will ask again, what advice on light wind have I given?

I have no idea what you consider light wind. I however, do use simple numbers. Light wind for me is 5-10 mph. Mild wind is 10-15 mph. Moderate wind is 15-20 mph. Windy is 20-25 mph. Strong wind is 25-30 mph. Nuclear is anything over 30 mph.

Coachg
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Sergio,

I don't have to be Captain Obvious to point out the errors of drawing conclusions in your little survey. As for advice, I will ask again, what advice on light wind have I given?

I have no idea what you consider light wind. I however, do use simple numbers. Light wind for me is 5-10 mph. Mild wind is 10-15 mph. Moderate wind is 15-20 mph. Windy is 20-25 mph. Strong wind is 25-30 mph. Nuclear is anything over 30 mph.

Coachg
your last comment about large board/sail usage,
In my world - that's normal,,, in your world it's an exception to norm. Very simple...
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SergioKapul wrote:
In my world - that's normal,,, in your world it's an exception to norm. Very simple...

First you imagine I am giving you light wind advice, now you are imagining you know what my sailing world is like. I'll give you this Sergio, you have a vivid imagination. Laughing

Coachg
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
SergioKapul wrote:

First you imagine I am giving you light wind advice, now you are imagining you know what my sailing world is like. I'll give you this Sergio, you have a vivid imagination. Laughing

Coachg
I'm progammer and have a habit of making my observation on data provided and facts only.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, and useful. I also use simple numbers and they're shifted due
to where I sail (most often).

No wind 0-10 MPH, Light wind 10-15 MPH, Mild wind 15-20 MPH, Moderate wind 20-25 MPH,
Windy 25-30 MPH, Strong wind 30-40 MPH, Nuclear wind=blown off my 3.2 and 70 ltr board.

I do get a kick out of riding my 9.5 Retro and 150 ltr Sumo in Utah
(getting that rig into the water is a nuisance though), but the
last few years I just haven't had the time, and I apportion all my
sailing days in the Gorge.

Not everyone loves huge gear, and I have to admit, I'm somewhat
interested in learning to foil, but probably not because it's easier to get
that stuff to the water, I've watched the foilers getting in and out, it's
a challenge. Sort of back on topic.

-Craig

coachg wrote:
I however, do use simple numbers. Light wind for me is 5-10 mph. Mild wind is 10-15 mph. Moderate wind is 15-20 mph. Windy is 20-25 mph. Strong wind is 25-30 mph. Nuclear is anything over 30 mph.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: