myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Climate Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
LHDR wrote:
Yeah, a reasonable report.......My guess is that Brown was thinking of the Republic of Congo in Africa. Big difference.

PS. Had Mr. Brown studied as hard as MalibuG, he would have included Egypt's huge rainforest.

I have lived in Kenya. I have also worked in Republic of Congo, or Zaire as it was then. Anyone with a scintilla of knowledge of the region could not possibly confuse the two. The opinions of someone who does are worthless. It was not a reasonable report just a bit off on the timing. Anyone can give that excuse on any topic. He was wrong.

Incidentally, I have also worked and traveled in Egypt. Before further mocking the notion of a forested Sahara in relatively recent history, you may wish to read the attached.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-really-turned-sahara-desert-green-oasis-wasteland-180962668/

Who originated this meme as an argument against doing something about global warming? I read that Smithsonian article quite a while ago, and the meme takes it out of context. The time frame for this idea is at the tail end of the rapid sea level rise at the end of the last ice age. The sea level rise was on the order of 300 feet—dramatically changing the hydrology and mouth of the Nile River. How is that relevant now?

What the article further states, is that the Sahara had long been subject to alternating arid and humid periods, that the potential factors involved in aridification were wobbles in the earth’s rotation and human factors such as overgrazing and burning. But in any event, the green Sahara would have turned back into a desert no matter what humans were doing.

This all occurred at least 4,500 years ago. It is hard to see those changes as “relatively recent”. Or as an excuse to ignore human-caused climate change, which are expected to have a duration of 100-300 years.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This source has the Sahara as a savannah—9,000 to 4,000 BC.
https://www.thegwpf.org/images/stories/gwpf-reports/mueller-sahel.pdf
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pyramids at Giza were built 4,500 years ago.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

And your point is? It is a bit silly to generalize about the climate of a vast area of Northern Africa without distinction to somehow argue that we need not worry about climate change. The Nile is a great river draining a huge part of Africa, and cannot be characterized with generalities. The pyramids at Giza were indeed built 4,500 years ago, and what is described as a drought of "biblical proportion" devastated the area 4,200 years ago. Does that suggest that the pyramids were built in a forested Sahara in relatively recent times?

It is not exactly clear where this meme arose, but one of the possible sources is Richard Lindzen, who has written for some time that we should not worry about climate change. Some of that stuff dates to 2007, so it is unclear why Bard and mrgybe have resurfaced this now. I suspect a source that would trace back to oil money, and that's why neither provide a citation.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
mrgybe wrote:

And your point is? It is a bit silly to generalize about the climate of a vast area of Northern Africa without distinction to somehow argue that we need not worry about climate change. The Nile is a great river draining a huge part of Africa, and cannot be characterized with generalities. The pyramids at Giza were indeed built 4,500 years ago, and what is described as a drought of "biblical proportion" devastated the area 4,200 years ago. Does that suggest that the pyramids were built in a forested Sahara in relatively recent times?

It is not exactly clear where this meme arose, but one of the possible sources is Richard Lindzen, who has written for some time that we should not worry about climate change. Some of that stuff dates to 2007, so it is unclear why Bard and mrgybe have resurfaced this now. I suspect a source that would trace back to oil money, and that's why neither provide a citation.

Proactive and positive action would be to balance our budget and plan for the unforeseen. No one can tell me if the artic will be ice free. No one can tell me whether we'll have an active hurricane season in Florida. All they can do is say the climate is changing. Of course it is, and humanity is better off because of this.

I do know this much. There will be an asteroid strike, a tsunami, a solar flare some day. These would be life ending events. A warming or cooling climate is not life ending. We will simply move north or south to mitigate the impact.
LHDR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
LHDR wrote:
Yeah, a reasonable report.......My guess is that Brown was thinking of the Republic of Congo in Africa. Big difference.

PS. Had Mr. Brown studied as hard as MalibuG, he would have included Egypt's huge rainforest.

.. Incidentally, I have also worked and traveled in Egypt. Before further mocking the notion of a forested Sahara in relatively recent history, you may wish to read the attached.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-really-turned-sahara-desert-green-oasis-wasteland-180962668/

Thanks for the Smithsonian article. If only more right wingers could appreciate that kind of writing the world would be a better place.

My point about MalibuG's rainforests is that he insists that the pyramids were built in rainforests, when all I read, including your article and mac's, indicates that a grassy and forested Sahara disappeared between 10,000 and 5,000 years ago and that pharaonic Egypt looked like Egypt today. This disregard for facts that fall outside of what can be seen with your eyes or touched with your hands is an all too common and devastating characteristic of many right wingers, and deserves all the ridicule it can get.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just shocked Mac hasn't said he worked on the pyramids.....we all know he's an old GIZA..
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Peter Temple explains climate cycles and the impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=phaBUQ3NU1w&app=desktop
mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is your go-to guy?

Quote:
Futurist, Market Analyst, , helping executives and entrepreneurs understand cycles and how they affect the economy, specific businesses, climate, social mood, trends, and a host of other important aspects of the economic landscape.

Marketing/advertising executive, past-president and managing partner in Canada’s largest retail advertising agency. Focus on marketing, presentations, and television-related media.

Accounts: the Bay, Westin Hotels, Zales Jewelers, Petro-Canada, Gulf Oil, Revelstoke.

Development team and consultant on initial public offerings for Westjet Airlines, Pengrowth Management, Big Rock Breweries, Enerplus, ARC Financial, and more …

International award-winning writer/producer/director for corporate and commercial television. Worked for many years with Canada’s largest retailers (including, McDonalds, Sears, the Bay) and multinational energy companies (including Petro-Canada, Shell, Husky Energy, Fluor Canada, Alberta Government) to develop and produce internal and external video-based communication.

Designed video-based training programs for the Petro-Canada retail and farm network over a period of ten years.

Past Creative Director at CFCN Television, Calgary (CTV Network). Past Communication Manager, Western Canada at Imperial Oil.

Visionary entrepreneur, founding communication companies focused on corporate marketing and advertising. Speech writing, script writing, corporate training program development, coached leaders to excel in the spotlight.

Past speaker/trainer with National Seminars, the largest public seminar company in the US, training a variety of programs on leadership and communication for business. He has been speaking professionally for over six years.

Worked with Leslie Nielsen, Sir Peter Ustinov, Peter Mansbridge, Walter Cronkite, Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Joe Vitale, Les Hewitt, , Jarome Iginla, Ron MacLean, three Miss Canadas, three Alberta Premiers, and many other well-known US and Canadian actors and personalities.

B.A.A. in Radio and Television, Ryerson University and member of Mensa Canada.

Specialties:Presentation Strategist, corporate television and live presentations.

Current Affiliations:

Member Mensa Canada
CAPS (Canadian Association of Professional Speakers) – Past member of national board, past president of Calgary Chapter
Toastmasters Past President (ATM-Gold – Advanced Toastmaster Gold) – multiple awards for speaking and evaluating
Calgary Chamber of Commerce
SAIT Southern Institute of Technology Multimedia Advisory Board

A radio guy who has worked for big petroleum?

Cue up Dan Hicks, "I Scare Myself" You can always find some whacko to tell you what you want to hear.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, but where do you find fault with his climate cycles? Nothing to it? If you want to knock something, how about a rebuttal of his findings?

I don't know if he is right or wrong or somewhere in the middle, but it's interesting to consider all sides of the issue, rather than ignoring everything that doesn't fit my agenda - unlike many here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 82 of 194

Jump to: