myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Unwanted windfoil upwind turns problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burtlundak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Unwanted windfoil upwind turns problem Reply with quote

I'm learning to foil on a Exocet RF81 with a Slingshot foil. I get 20 to 30 sec rides but can not control the board from turning upwind. Using the front foot straps only. Any ideas what I am doing to cause loss of control from upwind turns? I am an experienced windsurfer for better or worse.
DW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loss of lift

The foil needs to be powered up enough to support your weight being off center. Or just get more centered over the board. Move the rear foot on center, front foot inboard more....you get the idea.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When foiling you have to unlearn some windsurfing moves. putting Weight on your Heels on a foil drives you upwind. of course the first thing you do on a windsurfer when powered up is to sheet in and load up your heels.....up wind you go....

Upright stance with weight on the front foot to keep the nose down, back foot in the middle of the board to keep the side to side board trim flat. Move the hips to load up either foot to keep front to rear board trim flat. Too much weight on the rear foot will have you foiling out of the water...not good.

Kmf
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A smaller wing might help. Not sure which Slingshot foil you are using.

I had that problem with the Go Foil Maliko. The wing was so large and it would shoot up wind at anytime.

When I switched to the Naish that problem immediately went away and has never returned.

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to move everything up so you have more weight on the back foot.

I noticed when I had my back foot behind the foil I had the same issue.

The slingshot is a very front foot foil, so it probably needs you to be as far up as possible.

Once I moved my rear and front foot up, the turning issues went away.

We have a new foiler at our beach who is having the same issue with the Slingshot. As soon as they try to put their back foot in the strap they turn up wind.

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burt- Have you tried putting the wings as far back as possible or are you using the fuselage with the wings offset forward? It is much easier to control the Slingshot with the wings back.

Also, when you say "turning upwind" do you mean that it's just slowly pointing higher and higher upwind until it stalls, and you can't get it to bear off and head on a reach? Or is it more of a sudden loss of control and a wobbly banking turn into the wind?

http://wind-nc.com
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify when I said "move everything up" I meant everything above the foil, not the foil itself. So the foot straps as far forward as they will go, and like Wind NC said, move the wings as far back as possible, making the straps even more forward compared to the wings.

From what I experienced the further you are in front of the mast and towards the front wing the more control you will have. This comes at the expense of easy lift off, so if you move too far forward you will have trouble getting in the air.

The further back you are compared the the foil mast and wing, the easier it will go up, but it also becomes harder to control, especially if your back foot is in back of the mast.

As the Slingshot really goes up easy, it probably requires being as far forward as possible and moving the wings as far back as possible.

Go for maximum control. If your lift off is not easy you can compensate with more speed, and also adjust things back in increments until you find the right setting.

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move front foot inboard more.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
When foiling you have to unlearn some windsurfing moves. putting Weight on your Heels on a foil drives you upwind. of course the first thing you do on a windsurfer when powered up is to sheet in and load up your heels.....up wind you go....
Kmf

This cannot be over stated. When reaching I sometimes lift my back heel to avoid using to much backfoot pressure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: