myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
In prise of K4 (and ? tri fins)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: In prise of K4 (and ? tri fins) Reply with quote

Probably nothing new, but I spent the season trying out K4 fins and I am very pleasantly surprised.

The Freestylewave 22 works like a charm with my Starboard 81. At my weight (160), in single fin mode, it carries 4.3-5.0 with no problem (maybe just a tiny touch under finned with the 5.0 if underpowered), feels fast, turns easily, never spins out.

The Fang freeride 30 is a revelation with my RRD FSW 90. The fin is very fast, stable, again seemingly impervious to spin out. I have yet not gps-clocked it but yesterday with the RRD + 5.8 Point-7 ACX I was sparring, and coming out ahead when powered up, with a Patrick slalom board with a 7.0! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tri fins I have a bunch of different shape and sizes (6 to 10 cm) mostly to experiment. But here frankly I am starting to doubt the utility of tri-fins in the Bay Area. Yes, they do give you some extra grip on the swell, but it is clear that they slow the boards down quite a lot. They are now off from both my Starboard 81 and RRD 90 and I am not sure if they are going back other than below 4.3 or if by magic there is some big swell around (oh, Treasure Island, where are thou!) ...

Finally: K4 are VERY cheap. The whole guacamole (2 fins and 4 sets of fronts) cost me less than $200. Very Happy And you can buy them direct from England.

FANG-1-150x150.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.27 KB
 Viewed:  9170 Time(s)

FANG-1-150x150.jpg

3SW-1-150x150.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.53 KB
 Viewed:  9170 Time(s)

3SW-1-150x150.jpg

Last edited by dvCali on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer single fins now come in a stiffer composition.
The USBox sup racing fin is very good and the TIDE which is a Dutch shallow water speciality fin.

The different in most of the multi fin sides are small. Wright to Steve at K4 for his recommendation

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost of the fins , is less the VAT , value added tax, that is included in the price about 15%, this covers the cost of shipping from the UK. Shipping even cheaper mail service is quick . So the quoted price on 4Boards site is near to the delivered one.

Side fins are available with toe in, the Graham Ezzy versions.

The Leon versions are available in flex or stiffer compounds . The Rockets are a fav of mine on a quad rear, the Stubby will suit most

dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Cost of the fins , is less the VAT , value added tax, that is included in the price about 15%, this covers the cost of shipping from the UK. Shipping even cheaper mail service is quick . So the quoted price on 4Boards site is near to the delivered one.

Side fins are available with toe in, the Graham Ezzy versions.

The Leon versions are available in flex or stiffer compounds . The Rockets are a fav of mine on a quad rear, the Stubby will suit most

Yes, shipment comes out to be around 4-6 pounds from England.

I got sharks 6, sharks II 8, and rockets 8. I like the rocket powered up with 5.8 in my pseudo slalom RRD set up, and I am curious to try with 6.5 and the Fang. But as I said I am not too impressed by the use of front fins for Bay Area conditions. The small sizes, 6-8, are an attempt to minimize the drag of the front fins, similar to what Real Wind used to do ages ago. Both Starboard and RRD came with much bigger fronts. They drag you down even more, but I am not sure the small front get out of the way enough. Real tuning capability would require long rails and be able to push them to the back ... but than you would have this dragging holes at the bottom of your board Shocked Shocked Shocked

Anyway: the singles K4 are great, the fronts I cannot compare because I do not do waves ...
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think about the front sizes, just say 10cm, going up to 13cm is huge, going down is the same way. The length is only one factor to consider, the fin area is also, K4 should have the area posted for its fins, unusual these days.

The board bottom shape , rails play into things. It really has a lot to do with rider preference , the feel they like. I find that I tend to stay with a single fin size and vary the sides.

A quad is even more sensitive and the right sizes make a huge difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: