myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting stuck halfway during gybe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwertyjjj wrote:

Looking at that Peter Hart video, I think I'm not standing far enough back on the board so I have nothing to pivot around...

100% - stepping back (all steps on centerline) is a key to the pivot. You have to sink the tail and to lift the nose. It effectively shortens the board. With the long (or any board) lying on the water - its difficult to turn it.

Your front foot is weightless (hence you can lift it and switch it / or twist it)
Your weight is on the back foot and on the mast.
If you load the back foot only you can fall back easily.

As coach said - your both hands have to be straight. So, loading the mast base, but with both hands straight.

qwertyjjj wrote:

Could it be the mast is too upright and I need to tilt it backwards/towards me to enable turning further.

If the wind is strong the upright mast exposes the sail when you facing downwind. In strong wind you have to tilt the rig backwards. But still with straight hands. The only option to do this is to sit extremely low, i.e. to bend your knees, to crouch (all facing downwind)

As coach said - put mast horizontally (or tilt it outside). The important thing is to counterbalance in opposite direction with your body.
Like in Hart's vid at this frame - he inclines rig laterally outside when pointing downwind. To compensate this he inclines body inside. (Notice that this lateral balance is independent from the longitudinal (front-back) balance). Hence there are two opposite arrows on his video, two forces that compensate in this downwind position.

If you simply tilt this rig outside without counterbalancing inside, you will fall outside

All of this is in Hart's video.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand in beach start depth of water. Tip mast around to control which way the board points. Apply findings to your gybes if you want to power through your turns.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foot steering non-planing jibe, with or without dagger:

sink rail opposite of direction in which you want to turn. pivots right around with mast foot pressure.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: