myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Catapult to 10/11pm :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Catapult to 10/11pm :) Reply with quote

They say when you feel the catapult starting, you should pull in on the back hand on the boom and just go with it as it's safer.
I find there's a catapault to 11o clock where you're more likely to hit the board. Doesn't pulling in on the back hand just slam you into the board?
philodog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull in on the back hand and look backwards. This will cause your body to rotate and you will land on your back rather than faceplant. Much easier on the body.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sink low and stand the rig up to get planing while not in the harness. Catapults are 90% sailing too passively while having the power to plane.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple solution to catapults, do not hook in until you are in the front strap.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrads...you are 1/2 way to doing a front loop!
westender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding on to your boom in a crash is something I've avoided. Thinking that's a great way to tear up your shoulder?
dmilovich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's one way you can tear your shoulder.

You go over the nose at high speed. Sail/rig lands on water and stops. You continue forward. But your front arm is bent, with hand gripped firmly on boom. All your weight drives forward as you fly over the boom rather parallel to the water, but your hand, forearm, elbow and arm are firmly below the boom and stuck in place. All of that force drives your arm and shoulder down towards your waist.

Rotator cuff operation is the consequence. Good news is it can be fixed, even some many months later.

But now I never, ever, ever, hook in when planning fully powered out of a jibe unless my back (not front) foot is at least somewhat in the strap.

Not important when getting planning which foot goes in first (front in light winds, back in strong) but super important when you're really powered and not quite in the right place to handle it yet.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never found enough time to do anything when I get launched, which isn't very often. It's instantaneous - slam bang, that's it.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can feel a catapult coming, then you should be able to prevent it by pulling in with your front hand.
It isn't something that you have to accept.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little more complex as it depends on the angle of the board with the wind at the start. With a single fin, a board won't have as much willingness to pivot. A bigger board's nose won't sink as much.

Some mild catapults can be sheeted in, others saved, but violent ones are just not controllable (too late).

As some posters suggested watch out when heading downwind over chop when unweighing back foot to get in the strap. Especially when looking for power to plane, best to do unhooked or just not as deep downwind.

I have saved incredible chances where the sail somehow depowers like in an oversheeting action and have also been launched after hitting a piece of wood.

During my loop quest I got launched many times and it was hard to tell when the nose was in the way or not.

Accidents do happen and it's best to laugh at them. Many catapults in the Send It video series from Windsurfing TV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: