myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's Talk Cammed Sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
Yet, as many have noted, it's a big sail for your size that will prove to be a bit of a chore to shuttle it around on land, especially when wet coming in after your session.

My solution to that problem for my formula board and big sails was to buy a 10 lb mushroom anchor, some line and a small buoy. Carry the board and anchor/buoy to the water, tie it up and return for the sail. Sometimes I used the set up for my 111 iSonic and 7.6 or 8.4 sails. Just depends on the type of shoreline and distance. Why not save your energy for the sailing?

I should add that with my formula board, I use a mechanical u-joint universal. easy to attach the sail to the board while in the water.
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside mast compatibility benefits, you don't have to worry about over bending cams and battens on RAF sails when you want to rig full.

Your 114 Futura is well-matched to your 7.5 and smaller Retros. Matching the sweet spot of a board and sail goes a long way. I think a bigger/wider freerace, or even slalom for it's early planing, in the 120 liter and up range will match up nicely with the 7.5 Retro which is a great early planing sail. The 8.0 Retro may also work on a 460 at your weight. Your weight is good one for maxing out a 460 mast and forgetting the 490.
alap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP wants to add a sail, not to replace one, if I am not mistaken

Replacing 7.5 with 7.8 or 114 with 120 may make sense, but adding 7.8 to 7.5 or 120 to 114 does not. I personally had 145 at 82 wide and 130 at 73 wide, and this was like two very similar boards. Ended up selling 130 and buying 115 Blast. 30 litres is a good separation IMHO for light air boards

Also guys keep in mind that Vancouver is no wind zone (unless you go to Squamish in the summer). 15 knot is rare and is a big storm day
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if mamero adds a 7.8 NX cambered race sail and he likes it, he just may sell the 7.5 Retro. Makes sense to me. Even if he keeps both sails, the performance differences between a cambered race sail and a no-cam freeride sail could justify having both. Kind of like having two 100 liter boards where one is a slalom board and the other is freestyle or wave board.
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you rigging 7.5 Retro per Sailworks Retro guide for light wind? (Gotta ask. Some folks insist on only using one setting for each sail.)
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... 5 pages of answers before anyone asks THE one indispensable question: What's your objective in going to cams? IOW ... define "better".

FWIW, I'm with Craig.
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a good condition 2014 8.6 NX with a 100% 490 Lightstick. Also going to order up a 46cm Makini KAULIA v2 fin tomorrow. I sometimes get spin-out with my 42cm and 7.5 Retro so I think the 46cm should be good with the 8.6. Now just hoping for some end of season weather to give it a go.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get that from Andreas? Did you get rigging instruction?
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso said:
Quote:
Wow ... 5 pages of answers before anyone asks THE one indispensable question: What's your objective in going to cams? IOW ... define "better".

Well, the original question was about things particular to cam sails, not if they were better or worse. Some dialogue did broach that point.

But, in a nut shell, of you are a speed freak and like to sail overpowered, or if you race slalom or formula, then cammed race sails may be a good choice. Of course, there are cammed sails that are not race sails with smaller luffs, which is a compromise between RAF and race sails, which may appeal to some that want control in overpowered conditions, but not a large luff to hold water.

I have 5 sails on the small side with no cams and 5 sails on the large side that are race sails. I have more fun on the smaller stuff if there is wind, but the race sails in lighter winds are also pretty nice. I don't drop them often and the Maui Sails race sails have zippers in the boom attachment area to close the opening, so water is very slow to move into the luff if in the water.

I don't race anymore and if I had to replace a race sail, I would seriously consider no cam sails for replacement.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero

spin out is more than likely a pilot factor than fin size.

i prefer a 40 cm fin from 7.2 to 9.0 sail.

get some forward speed before pushing against fin with back foot. save yourself some $$$ and constant fin switches.

edit this disclaimer for the knit pickers of the world:

78 wide race to free race boards, for me match up well with 40 cm molded fins of moderately good quality or better in central florida winds when using 9.0 to fairly lit up 7.2 sails.

when the 7.2 is maxed, it time to switch to a smaller board. so the fin, 40 cm custom select, has worked well for me for quite a long time. the need for anything other on such a combo is pretty negligible.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: