myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's Talk Cammed Sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
mamero

spin out is more than likely a pilot factor than fin size.

i prefer a 40 cm fin from 7.2 to 9.0 sail.

get some forward speed before pushing against fin with back foot. save yourself some $$$ and constant fin switches.

Agree with the technique factor, but apples to oranges when posting fin sizes without listing board width. 40 cm would seem awfully big for a 7.2 on some boards & awfully small for a 9.0 on others depending on rider weight.

Coachg
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
jingebritsen wrote:
mamero

spin out is more than likely a pilot factor than fin size.

i prefer a 40 cm fin from 7.2 to 9.0 sail.

get some forward speed before pushing against fin with back foot. save yourself some $$$ and constant fin switches.

Agree with the technique factor, but apples to oranges when posting fin sizes without listing board width. 40 cm would seem awfully big for a 7.2 on some boards & awfully small for a 9.0 on others depending on rider weight.

Coachg

Indeed, not to mention that this is the OP's biggest sail and earliest planing board. Perhaps he wants to sail it mini-formula style emphasizing upwind performance?
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that mamero is on the right track with the 46cm fin size, and I think that the fin calculator program on the Makani website reenforced that size choice. Speaking for myself, I like big fins in very light winds, and that's why earlier in the conversation I recommended targeting a fin in the 46-50cm range for an 8.6 sail.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Get that from Andreas? Did you get rigging instruction?

Purchased from a local bloke named Bill who's a very frequent Gorge sailor.

He walked me through basic rigging.

Bruce Peterson has a pretty detailed rigging video for cammed sails (Sailworks NX) here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VARy9zX4NyM
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done right I find rigging them easier than a large RAF sail, done wrong has you swearing. Good to have some instruction.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Perhaps he wants to sail it mini-formula style emphasizing upwind performance?

That's kind of the idea. At 140lbs a 114 Futura with an 8.6 cammed NX should be formula gear for me. Certainly slalom. The 8.6 cammed with a 46cm fin should mean I spend less effort TRYING to stay up wind and instead actually GO up wind.

I am trying to learn carve gybes. Gybes require you to be upwind. When you are learning you need lots of downwind room to gybe and lots of downwind room to recover from blown gybes. Flat water helps as well. The issue with my regular sailing spot is there a several variables that limit the number of quality gybe attempts possible in a session.

1. In the summer westerlies usually dominate. This means cross-shore wind launching on a port tack.
2. A long pier is immediately on the leeward side when launching. This severely limits your downwind room.
3. Strong currents with increasing tides.

Combine a Westerly with an increasing tide (50/50 chance) and you have a combination that requires attention. In these conditions if you don't make an effort to really drive up wind (using the rail of the board in lulls) you may not make it around the pier on the way back in. Or worse, in the pier. If the wind shifts from Westerly to the Northwest it can get even more interesting. I've never had a significant issue with loosing ground but it is quite common, especially with beginners on big boards and small sails. They don't have enough sail size to get planning and moving forward with any speed or momentum. Instead the wind and tide just push them sideways further and further downwind.

I am hoping that instead of spending 80% of my time tacking to stay upwind (or maintain ground) and 20% attempting gybes, I can spend 80% of the time upwind attempting gybes and maybe 20% tacking. I am hoping the cammed sail and larger fin will give me more upwind time. Also, because of the overall sail size I should get more time on the water in general. I will be able to get out when the wind is light. Light wind also means smoother water.
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered a brand new Sailworks two-sided Adjustable Outhaul in the bag for the 8.6 NX I just bought. I'm already using a one-sided Sailworks AO with my 7.5 Retro. Given the size and nature of an 8.6 NX would it be beneficial to swap the one-sided AO over to a two-sided? The 7.5 and 8.6 will be sharing the same boom... Not at the same time of course. Laughing
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two sided takes significantly longer to rig since you have to tie it on each time rather than just cleating the end unless you use a clew pully.
If just using to tune for conditions keep the single, if tuning for upwind and downwind performance around a set of marks then double.
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do cammed sails need to be re-shimmed over time if using the same mast?
I bought that NX and mast together from the same person. This guy is a pretty serious racer and I'd assume he has already shimmed the cams (If needed). In the sail bag there are a bunch of unused shims so it makes me wonder if it has been done. When do you know if you need to shim or, put too many shims in the cam?

Last edited by mamero on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Two sided takes significantly longer to rig since you have to tie it on each time rather than just cleating the end unless you use a clew pully.
If just using to tune for conditions keep the single, if tuning for upwind and downwind performance around a set of marks then double.

I probably will switch over to the two sided AO. It can't take that much longer to rig once the initial setup is done. Perhaps I should order a couple clew pulleys for the 8.6 and 7.5 to speed up and simplify the rigging. However, I am leery of too much swing weight at the clew; especially on a big sail. I'm OCD about keeping the boom as short as possible for this reason. I've seen some people sail with like 6 inches of extension hanging of the clew of their sail. Shorten your boom or buy a smaller one.

Question. What do you do with the excess line? Usually you would tie it off at the clew. With an AO the excess line is on one side of the boom near the pulley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: