myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's Talk Cammed Sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep playing with it. There'll be a way that is quite easy, you just need to find it. I'd try more downhaul, perhaps also a bit less outhaul. There's absolutely no harm in more downhaul to put the cams on as long as you can still get them on. Only if you can't pop them on do you need to use less downhaul and more outhaul.

There are plenty of stories about the pain of rigging race sails the first time. A few examples:
- I had one that I also gave up on the first time I tried. When I re-read the instructions and followed them to the point, the sail was easy to rig.
- A friend bought a sail that nobody in the store could rig without the cams popping off. He has some race sail experience, and figured it out quickly.
- Another friend had a new freerace sail where the cams did not stay on. Turns out he was trying to rig on an RDM, but the cams were for an SDM. His problems disappeared when he used an SDM.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
There are ways to setup a single to rig with the excess back through the cleat. The double will need to be tied on each time (although I think I might have a way around this).

Can you elaborate on your way around this for a two-sided AO?

I just bought a couple clew pulleys. Now I'm trying to make one boom with a sailworks two-sided AO work with more than one sail and avoid hard to undo knots. Hope to do another test rig of the 8.6 in the morning.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have pulleys just leave it rigged and unscrew the pulleys enough to slip the line off of them.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did another test rig. I'm making progress but not there yet. The cams popping off have been solved. More downhaul did the trick. The issue now is the sail won't rotate or "pop" when fully rigged. It's either downhaul, outhaul, batten tension, or the shims. I'm leaning towards shims. The sail is downhauled correctly to the "cog" marker so I don't think it's downhaul. There are currently shims in the cams. I would imagine the previous owner already shimmed it. I bought the mast and sail together. If it's the shims do I add more shim or take out what is already there?
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question in addition to the rotation issue above...

At the Tack of the NX sail, right beside the down-haul grommet, there is a nylon strap with a camlock. It looks like it is meant to wrap around the extension is the right? What is the purpose of this strap? At what stage in rigging do you attach it? How tight should it be?
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Another question in addition to the rotation issue above...

At the Tack of the NX sail, right beside the down-haul grommet, there is a nylon strap with a camlock. It looks like it is meant to wrap around the extension is the right? What is the purpose of this strap? At what stage in rigging do you attach it? How tight should it be?

OK. It's called a Tack Strap. Answered my own question. Used for taking any slack out of the bottom edge of the foot of the sail. Makes sense on the bigger sails. In fact, I wish Sailworks would put these on the larger Retros. I've noticed more than once that there is a two or three inch wide area along the foot of my 7.5 Retro which is not the right shape. I bet a tack strap would have taken this out. The NX has it though.

Ok... so... Cammed sail rotation issue. Suggestions please? I'm hoping to take this sail on the water today!!
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More DH or less shim.
It'll need a solid pop but should still rotate in little/no wind.
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
More DH or less shim.
It'll need a solid pop but should still rotate in little/no wind.

Downhauled block to block. The leech is at the correct looseness and at, or just past, the midpoint marker. In zero wind the sail will NOT rotate no matter how much I pull/push the boom (Sail is upright in sailing position at this point).
akrausz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked Sailworks?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sailworks.com/nx-rigging

and i have done a post on cambered sail rigging in general

https://joewindsurfer.blogspot.com/2013/06/rigging-cambered-race-sail.html

lotsa luck and do not give up
McLube helped me too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: