myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mast sleeve repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tm00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: mast sleeve repair Reply with quote

Managed to get some small tears in my mast sleeve. Thinking of taping over them so they don't spread. Any thoughs about what kind of tape to use?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dacron sail repair tape. Sailrite should have it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mast sleeve material is not universal , as are the other parts of the sail.

If careful when rigging the damage usually doesnt spread. I think tape might not stick so well . I would be tempted to sew myself and close the holes if I felt the need. OTOH tape could work nicely, but its material not like the other sections. Dacron tape could help

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
pmlct

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is minor you could just glue or melt the edges with a soldering iron to keep the cloth from unraveling. You can always patch over it down the road. When I paid for that repair I was told that the right way to do it was to separate the sleeve from the sail to machine stitch the patch on, and then machine stitch the sleeve back onto the body of the sail. I believe they also needed to reuse the same puncture holes when doing that last part. The repair looked great when done-it was a large enough area to be worth fixing correctly.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've broken plenty of masts, and you hardly ever get back to the beach without the carbon poking a tear in the sleeve..

I't almost always a dacron sleeve with a weave that will handle some thick hand stitching...Polyester thread..biggest you can get.

You can hand sew it with a big needle from Sailrite, and although it may not look pretty, it will prevent the tear from going big...

You will have to pay attention to the area when feeding the mast nbd

I have done iron- on patches, but you should tack those down with stitching as welll
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: mast sleeve repair Reply with quote

I just stitch those rips together with dental floss.

-Craig

tm00 wrote:
Managed to get some small tears in my mast sleeve. Thinking of taping over them so they don't spread. Any thoughs about what kind of tape to use?
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easier is to take a piece of sleeve material from a trashed sail- you've got lots of those right?- rig the sail lightly- not full downhaul- cut a patch that'll cover the tear well and spread clear silicone caulk on it thinly- rub it into both the sleeve and the patch and stick it on- I've use masking tape to hold it in place- let it sit overnight and it'll be fine- take off the masking tape- good to go.. the silicone is a great adhesive and will have a bit of stretch too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: