myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back strap location for easy foiling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Back strap location for easy foiling Reply with quote

Where do you have your back straps in relation to the foil and have you tried various positions? If so what feels best?

Here is what is happening to me and any suggestions are welcome.

I have been feeling out of control where my board goes left and right too easily.

Today I took my back foot and placed it in front of the back strap. Like magic the board started to behave much better, all the left and right turning issues disappeared.

My straps were in the furthest back position on my Naish Hover 142, the foil was exactly in the center.

I realized while that back position helps with early take off, it also makes the board less stable.

So my next session I am removing my back straps completely, as I found I was much more comfortable without my foot in the strap and I want to be able to make very small adjustments to where my back foot is without the straps getting in the way.

I also like riding swells and being able to move my back foot around like I would on a surf board is very helpful.

I will also test moving the foil back perhaps 3 cm, to see if that also helps with the control issue.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most comfortable position for me is to leave them in my car.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Grant, that is the position mine are in right now. I look forward to trying it that way.

I moved my foil all the way back now. Any thoughts on this?

My take is the further back it is the harder it is to take off, but the more stable it will be once flying.

So my thinking is by putting it all the way back I am now in the most stable riding position for this board. Stability is what I feel is missing, so I am hoping this solves my problem.

I noticed where it is I can still get more back foot leverage on it than with my JP 155, so I think I will still not have any issues with early take off.

I like the strapless idea as I can easily position my foot back for early take off and then move it to the middle and more forward for maximum stability.

I hope it works. I know a board like this is not as stable as a wider JP 155 board, but I am hoping it becomes stable enough for me to enjoy and ride swells while still having the earlier take off with small sails that this board offers.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What position is are your front straps and mast base?
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mast base is all the way back.

I moved the front straps all the way forward. Not sure if this is a mistake but my thought process is I am going to have my back foot positioned slightly further forward than the back straps allow, so to keep some spacing between my front and back leg it made sense to move the front straps forward.

I am also hoping this allows even easier pumping while in the front strap as I do not have to reach forward for the sail as much.

I realize this is also a control move and not an early take off move having the straps that far forward, but I want to try to maximize control and then decide if I need to give up a bit of control for an earlier take off.

I also figured for lift off I can always put more weight on my back leg as needed and then balance it out between legs once flying.

I will have a chance to test this new configuration tomorrow.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts for early take off is front straps full forward for maximum waterline length/minimum tail dragging while in them, then move the foil as forward in the tracks as you can stand. Mast base a little forward to add some stability.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your thinking on the front straps.

I noticed when my front foot is more forward I can pickup speed easier.

I assume that I am experiencing the maximum water line length minimum tail dragging when my foot is forward like that. I never new what to call it, I just know it works.

I will have to play around with the mast base and foil position.

Am I right to think you want to move the foil as forward as much as you can stand for maximum lift at the expense of lateral control?

It seemed to me the more forward it gets the less lateral control I have.

I might be the opposite on your foil position, I want to maximize control, so as far back as I can stand, while not loosing my early take off feeling.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup has much less flexibility for setup so my thoughts are a bit theoretical.
I want more front foot pressure (more lift) because I can then trim subtly with small changes in rear foot position. Also I think I can pump the foil easier when it's further forward like an SUP.

I'm unsure what you mean by lateral control. In theory once you are flying the only relationship that matters is the distances between your feet, the foil and the mast base. So moving the straps, foil and mast all forward shouldn't feel any different when flying.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My setup has much less flexibility for setup so my thoughts are a bit theoretical.
I want more front foot pressure (more lift) because I can then trim subtly with small changes in rear foot position. Also I think I can pump the foil easier when it's further forward like an SUP.

That theory sounds right to me. I hope to eventually know from testing it.

By lateral control I mean it turns too easy to the left or right. Not to where I crash, but to where I feel I am spending to much energy trying to keep flying on track and where riding a swell does not feel comfortable because I am not stable.

I think where I lost stability is when my rear straps were behind the mast on on the foil. For some reason the board becomes much more sensitive so each pull of the sail can move you slightly off track, giving the feeling that you are constantly having to correct yourself to stay on course.

When my foot moved in front of the rear strap that feeling went away and I was able to sail in a very straight line and very relaxed and catch a swell and just enjoy the ride.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for upwind I'm always running with my back foot just in front of the foil (slingshot). But if I could shift everything forward on the board I'd definitely get going easier since as of right now I have to pump up some speed before moving back to the strap.
The guys using RF91s locally can just stand in the straps and pump from a dead slog. Way more efficient.

I'd think you would want as much maneuverability as possible to turn on a wave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: