myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back strap location for easy foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant, I think that just in front of the foil is a good control position for the back strap.

Good point, if you could pump while in the straps it might be easier to get going, or at least save you that step of getting into the back strap.

With the removal of my back straps and my front straps all the way forward I am hoping to be able to do that although not actually have my foot in the strap.

Regarding the turning on the wave yes you want to be able to turn, but you don't want to feel like you will lose control if you get a light gust in the sail. Foils overall are pretty easy to turn as you know because we are not carving into the water, only the air, so I want to be able to perform some really nice controlled carving turns.

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg has sent me some messages and I want to repost this one here for everyone as I think it is really helpful.

Quote:
I don't know if this will help but Robby Naish runs his back strap all the way back with his front strap 3 holes forward. I have seen him foiling with his back foot in front of his strap.

His foil mast is located directly under the rear strap which puts the tip of the front wing just behind his front strap.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking rear strap back then just use it upwind for leverage. Then swell ride with the foot in front of it.

I'm saving up for the big Slingshot 84cm wing in the hope it will ride swell since my existing Fwind1 just can't get slow enough.
It's also supposed to be more stable although I hope it still carves easily (can't see why not for the reasons you mentioned).
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I will have to see what the up wind leverage feels like without the back straps.

My guess is it will be fine because the straps are so centered I found no leverage from having my foot in them and to get leverage I had to move my foot towards the rail so not in the straps.

I am hoping for more leverage as coachg mentioned keeping the back leg straight and the front leg bent to go up wind and not having straps allows me to really put my back leg back there, even further back if needed then with the straps in the back position.

I have not tried the Slingshot but suggest considering the Naish foil for riding swells. It is definitely slow enough, it carves nicely, and stays in control. Now I just have to get all those things going on this board.

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today tested foil all the way back. Back foot felt comfortable about half on the foil mast toward the front of the foil. That seems to be the best spot for me today.

Not sure if in lighter wind that might change. Felt good without the back straps so I could easily test different foot positions to find the best spot.

Front strap all the way forward and I love that position. Makes starting up easier in my opinion as you can easily pump while in the front strap and really get some leverage.

Huge difference in left to right stability vs. having the back foot behind the foil.

I might keep it this way because my back foot is 2 holes back which is a good position to be in. I can still come forward a bit and stay on the pad and I definitely have space to move my foot back for earlier lift off if needed.

The thing was with the front strap closer to the sail and that leverage with the sail and wind I did not really need the back foot further back for early lift off.

It was a great day, other than my foil almost fell off my board as all 4 screws came loose.

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I do not have the foil all the way back. I looked at it again closer and measured it just under 4 cm back from the middle point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: