myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling thoughts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tm00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Foiling thoughts Reply with quote

Started foiling this summer. Been out about 30 times trying to work through the learning curve. Have some thoughts on foiling and wonder if others has similar thoughts/comments.

* It is different from windsurfing.
* Good to try a new activity and go through a new learning curve.
* The feeling of "flying" over the water and how quiet it is was a surprise.
* Was surprised that when flying, how high you can point and how fast you go.
* The equipment is heavy and clumsy to handle on-shore.
* Can be hard on equipment. (Sails/foil/board)
* Can be terrifying when you get sky launched.
* Can be nerve racking when you start porpoising.
* There is no feel of the board being on the water.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's a good summary and compares well with comments I have heard from others, both windsurfers and kiters. It is your final comment, however, that I find the most interesting. I have sailed and windsurfed for 30 years. For me, the direct connection with the contours of the water is one of the most compelling elements of both. Remove that, and it seems that you have lost a huge amount of the fun. How many would enjoy skiing if you couldn't feel the bumps and the edges biting the snow? While I agree that it is great to try new things, I just wonder how many people are doing it just because it currently seems the thing to do? I can see foiling having legs in sailing cats, but I wonder about windsurfing. Not trying to offend, just asking!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumps on the water can be fun while windsurfing, but perfectly flat water can, too - although it's a different kind of fun. I personally like the totally flat stuff even more. I assume foiling is somewhat similar.

Foiling being "the thing to do" right now certainly plays a role in getting more people to try. The completely different feeling, combined with learning that gives tidbits of success very quickly, keeps them coming back for more. It will be very interesting to see how many foilers stick to it when the "new" feeling wears off after 100 (or maybe 1000?) hours. Are there any foilers out there who have already foiled for 100+ sessions?
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't kept track of how many days I've been out on a foil, but it's a lot, having started in 2016, and mostly foiling last summer and this summer. I've had way more foil days than regular gear days for the last two years, that's for sure. I can assure you that it is still fun (for me).

Like regular windsurfing, there are lots of facets to explore- race, freestyle, wave, etc. The joys for me are the sensations that you can find in just 10 knots of wind, and I'm finding that it's really fun in stronger wind, too- especially when the wind quality is really poor and regular gear would be challenging to enjoy.

For example, the other day was blowing about 15-25, so on regular gear I could've rigged just about anything and it would have felt great for 20% of the time, and either schlogging or grossly overpowered the rest of the time. Instead, I rigged a 4.2 and a giant surf oriented foil and was flying wherever I wanted to go- upwind, downwind, carving turns on the little chop, mini jumps, and flying the entire time. Huge smiles, no frustrations.

Regarding feeling the water- Yes, if you're on a fast freeride or racy type of foil, you can blow over everything without giving it a second thought. They still have insane grip in the turns though, so you can create "Gs" anywhere you want by banking into a turn. However, if you try a giant surf oriented foil, you will find that your connection to the water and ability to derive power from chop that is only knee high is pretty amazing! You can literally surf along the face of a one foot tall piece of open water chop, making turns and linking sections, with the sail completely luffed.

So it's certainly different than feeling a board move over chop and digging the rails into a powerful turn, but in a lot of ways it can actually be more responsive and more fueled by the energy of the water than a regular board could ever be.

Mr Gybe- Re- your skiing comparison- foiling is a bit like skiing bottomless powder- smooth, light, and effortless. Fun!!!

Of course, everyone's opinions and situations and desires are different. But I'm hooked and loving it!

http://wind-nc.com
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent summation above.
Plenty of guys around here have windsurfed for 30+ years, and now well into their 400th day of foiling. They happen to be former course and Formula sailiors, and also sailed slalom and bump boards.
I'm a day 3 newbie, with a total watertime foiling [in the water on foil gear] of around 40 minutes.
The problem is that the wind around SF Bay can be windsurfable around 200 days a year without resorting to a 7 meter sail or a 110+ liter board. A 15 mile drive does the trick.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been foiling about 12 days now. It is certainly hard on equipment, I have put a hole in the nose of my board, and yesterday I pulled the bolt through the mast track......back to the board Dr. .....geezzz

I am getting long rides now, and the most amazing thing is foiling across flat water using a 4.2 sail in 17 mph wind. Quiet and smooth. I still think high wind wind surfing is more fun, but I am still a beginner.

KMF
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing for a very long time. And for me its still a thrill. I'm pushing the big 7-0 and have all the nagging injuries that go along with a life seeking adventure. Flat water and smaller gear keeps me sailing longer and its a blast. Been foiling 5/6 times now. I'm flying on a 5.2 sail while my friends are waiting for more wind on 6.5 sails. The lack of contact with the water and the bonce that goes along with it, is way easier on the old bones. That and a small lite sail that I barely need to sheet in keeps me out much longer. I have lots to learn about foiling but its a new rush worth the time and effort. The biggest draw back to foiling is the boards and foils are heavy. I can't find an easy to carry the board and foil to the water. Getting the sail connected to the board and into the water can be a bit of a chore. Same getting it all out. Once your up and going the weigh is no issue. I'm hoping the gear will get cheaper and weight less in the next few years.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Wind-NC in the groomed to powder comparison. Additionally you do feel a lot of what the water is doing on the surf foils but it's subtle little sensations very proportional to the increased sensitivity to foot pressure on the foil.

It doesn't replace a good day lit up with a fin, but I'd much rather be marginally powered on the foil.
chadperkins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have foiled about a dozen times this summer so far. It is really a new learning experience. The best analogy I can find Is it is like windsurfing on a unicycle. I sail in an area that gets rough pretty quickly. I have found the foil to be more responsive to the waves than any other board. It seems that you can ride the underwater energy of the waves really efficiently. This also gets you on plane really fast. When I am under powered I slide down the face of a wave, with 2 pumps I am up. Since I am new to it, it seems I need a solid 12 MPH to be fully powered on a 6.5. I have a 7.5 and have tried that in 10 MPH. with this, it works but there is a lot of pumping and its a lot of work to stay up.
Question for the more experienced:
Do you stay hooked in while foiling?
I have found hooking in put weight on the mast base and causes the board to slowly fall. Once I unhook it seems I have more control over the board and the sail. So for me I am unhooked about 75% of the time.
Where do you put the mast base in the mast track?
I am at 43-44 inches from the front top screw of the foil. This is about 3/4 of the way back in the mast track.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, without specifics, nobody can recommend anything.
Plus, we are different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: