myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Replacing sail panels myself cut from other older sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a harness hook through a sail window many moons ago. To keep on sailin', I covered the hole with UPS tape (monofilm + adhesive) and hoped it would hold for the rest of the day. My greatest concern was that the non-stretch tape and the stretchy PVC/vinyl window would be incompatible and quickly part company.

Not to worry. I couldn't get the damned tape off after lots of use years later.

Wouldn't a half dozen durable sails be much more useful and trustworthy than 37 POS?

May your swims be short, your barges slow, and your sharks even slower.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tape it. Sail it till it breaks and go find another 30 buck sail. Just don't sail farther out than you can swim in. I for one don't trust old used gear because you don't know how its been cared for. old boards are cool. Maybe good, not really old sails. But masts and booms not so much. I broke a $20 harness line that cause me to crash in front and up wind of a buddy. Thank god he was quick enough to miss me but he hit my board and caused major damage to both our gear. i get new harness lines every year now... Just sayin
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, I've had new hourglasses snap in their first session, a new mast snap at the end of its first reach, three new custom boards "built for durability" fall completely apart in a few sessions, a fin wear out (root cracks I could feel under sail) in just days, and a new True Ames fin arrive direct from TA with extensive flaws. My new carbon Chinook RDG boom has creaked and twitched when I change sides since the day I bought it.

But I have used the same harness lines for a decade with no signs of wear, and it took my Dakine harness bar a decade to snap.

Ya just never know.

But old, worn, raggedy, scorched sails are not only a swim waiting to happen but a session-buster and maybe even a trip-buster. Moreover, used sails' condition can be fairly well judged with eyes and hands and maybe a fist or finger. (Wish I had given a used sail I once bought the finger test; my first light poke went right through any panel I chose first time I rigged it.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sail is already toast, what can YOU do to it by attempting to fix it?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
The sail is already toast, what can YOU do to it by attempting to fix it?

Spend $60 on a sewing machine .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "safety issue" is great when convincing the wife I need new gear..
Honey i need to get a new flum dickey because the outward wear indicator gauge on the port side of my sail in not where it should be. I can save a bunch on shipping if I get that new board I need sent with it. The rocket split on the con caves on last years board really isn't set to my weight. I can use it if you think it will be safe...of course she use to sail and has been a windsurfing wife for 35 years so she knows I'm full of it...
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
The "safety issue" is great when convincing the wife I need new gear..
Honey i need to get a new flum dickey because the outward wear indicator gauge on the port side of my sail in not where it should be. I can save a bunch on shipping if I get that new board I need sent with it. The rocket split on the con caves on last years board really isn't set to my weight. I can use it if you think it will be safe...of course she use to sail and has been a windsurfing wife for 35 years so she knows I'm full of it...

That works for you. But what makes you think the OP has a wife ?

Me, I just sneak stuff in when the bride is away, and say, oh that olde thing Ive had that forever .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
flaherty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the monofilm ripped, wouldn't it be old and ready to rip again, after taping a new piece onto it ? Is even one breakdown worth it ? I'm as cheap as they come, but I don't skimp on windsurfing gear. I enjoy this sport so much, have for 30 years, that money spent on equipment is worth every penny !
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Get a new year old or 2 year old sail. Take good care of it and if your lucky it could last 10 years. Let's say its a 5.0 and ya got it for 500 bucks. Thats 50 a year. Less than a half day lift ticket at Mammoth.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend had a very old sail (don't recall the brand), but he had at least 20+ feet of tape on the various tears. The monofilm was very old and stress would cause the tears. Not serious enough where he couldn't sail home with a little flapping from a new tear. He finally ditched it.

I have repaired tears from objects penetrating the monofilm and with tape on both sides of the tear, it lasts years. Never had a panel replaced in 34 years of windsurfing and never tossed a sail. All my old sails were either sold or given away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: