myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Replacing sail panels myself cut from other older sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worrying about my gear's integrity would really hamper my fun. I do everything I can to insure its and my body's durability, assume I may have to swim to shore even if I still have to walk back to my launch site, and go play. I may change some rules and procedures when and as necessary, and cannot foresee EVERY possibility, but no way will I launch knowing my gear is not in top condition even though land is within a mile anywhere I still sail. (e.g., My solo reaches for miles offshore in the ocean are long gone, and my vow to cut WAY back on long walks of shame at my usual venue has been fairly effective.)

Equipment (and body) failures still happen, but that's rare because I inspect every component before launching (takes <30 seconds) and would reject the crap you describe as not worth the risk. There's cheap, and there's crap. I have nothing against the former (some of my very best boards cost me <$50), everything against the latter ("crap" can be a PITA at best, very expensive* at worst.)

* An avoidable sail failure can cost a mast/boom/board/long swim.

Seriously ... have you been to a good swap meet? I've seen countless nearly or literally unused sails sell for the price of that toy sewing machine you're considering.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong in getting older sails repaired to keep them viable. Many of my repairs had nothing to do replacement of monofilm or x-ply windows. Probably the majority of my repairs over recent years has had to do with fixing the top head cap part of the sail. Also, because of looser leeches these days, I've had a few panels repaired in the top section.

However, unless due to surf damage, failure of larger panels in the power zone due to age, I just retire the sail. I still have a number of them that I liked and kept should I want to resurrect them in the future.

I have to admit to having some real old sails, with the correct masts to go with them, in my retired stable of old windsurfing gear. Some of them stretching back to 1987, with the remains of quite a few quiver sets throughout the 90s. Hell, many of my current sails are from 2001, 2003 and 2004.

If you take reasonable care of sails, they will remain viable for a long time. In my view, the idea that sails become a safety hazard after a few years is a specious argument.
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting for me to keep track.......ive bought or aquired 51 sails actually in only 4 1/2 years......started ws in July '14. Ive sold about 15 now.....and ripped a out 6 beyond tape repair....and sunk one...lost at sea.
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been to 2 crissy swaps......two 101 boardsports swaps....and one Sherman swap in 4.5 years. I look at Craigslist and Iwindsurf classifieds 2x weekly easily.
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like analysis.....lets say on a normal sail size of 5.0 you can purchase new for $480.00. Maybe on sale or last yrs model. Then sail life is maybe 160 uses.....??? That's $3.00 per use.
Whether you use it for 5 yrs or 10 yrs. Maybe typical is aprx 6 yrs at 26 uses per yr. That might be a starting place as a way to price used sails.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your must have time on your hands.

The part about math that equates to windsurfing
Board 1695
Sail 578
Mast 499 = $2772

Using a sports depreciation of 20% per year after 5 years this lot was worth $909. Using U2s friendly used value the sail and mast are worth about $200 each, board $500 if not trashed , total $900.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think a new sail lasts about 50 days of use, barring catastrophic accidents. After that, it's worth 100 bucks.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/Lee. uv eats monofilm. I used to treat new sails with uv protectant, but didn't see a big improvement in durability.

I also used to analyze the ROI of trading, but some factors are too subjective for that. For the past 18 years I've just ordered new custom sails each winter at deep winter discounts, and when they're ready I hand over my year-old quiver, add some cash, and get their latest and greatest models and features.
Advantages include:
• Not having to sell the used sails.
• Improved performance and materials, if changed.
• I learn a bit more each year, and my preferences evolve, about what features and models I want.
• New windows I can see clearly through.
• Materials and construction I know will not fail.
• This year, at least, the new model's wind/power range is so improved that my full-range quiver has one less sail. Saves some bulk, cost, decisions, and rigging.
• To the dealer's and buyers' advantage is that they get used sails that have almost always been rigged on grass, beached in the shade, and stored dry indoors.

I even did that in midsummer one year when a superior new model hit the streets.

Disadvantages:
• I have to set up the rigs and break in stiff new luff sleeves every year. Boo, hoo.
• This costs something like a grand, more or less, but it's money well spent.

Boards, OTOH, are a different story. I prefer older style boards' performance over that of the newer stubby stuff, so I buy carefully vetted boards in pristine condition at 5% of what most people pay for new boards.

My relevant point? Not all ROI criteria are quantifiable. Your dozens of sails is as silly as my dozens of wave boards, but at least I get to sail all of my boards each year and each offer some advantages.
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thks for feedback....i also have 29 boards in my large garage.....ave price each aprx $45.
Again....many free.....many screaming good deals. One '13, one '10, all others older. Very fun for me to try diff bds all the time.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's 50 eight hour days, I'd have to agree, then again I'm on
Northwaves some of which are still functional from 2002 (like my 3.2).

-Craig

dllee wrote:
Personally, I think a new sail lasts about 50 days of use, barring catastrophic accidents. After that, it's worth 100 bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: