myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rigging older Ezzy Wave S.E. Sails ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Rigging older Ezzy Wave S.E. Sails ?? Reply with quote

Had the worst sail feeling ever on Sunday using a circa '04 Ezzy Wave S.E. 5.0 sail. The thing is mostly X-Ply and in great shape !
I'm using the correct recommended mast.
I thought I had it downhauled enough, thought i was at the right measurement, and couldn't seem to pull down any harder (even using expensive teflon downhaul line).....but couldn't get any looseness in upper sail area.
Kept outhauling while sailing, was 4-5 cm beyond stated length, and 20-26 inches of sail was still touching up against my boom in mostly over powered conditions though.
On top of the 5 baton sail between baton 3 and 4, is a large C shaped marker. Your supposed to downhaul for high wind until you get a loose fold in that area that matches the C indicator.

So I spent an hour at home today trying to rig it right. Still can't get anywhere near the C Shape looseness between 3 and 4 with downhaul 5 cm beyond stated.

Also, The top batton (#5) doesn't look right, never has, is bent over away from wind, looks like it needs tightening. Well, the screw seems out farther than the other batons, but it won't budge, couldn't loosen it or tighten it.
I thought it seems too heavy up there, it's 2 inches down from the top.
So I cut the string holding baton in and pulled it out. (Didn't know you only had to disconnect the string.)
I'm gonna replace it with a wider but very thin lightweight piece of wood, almost like balsa wood.

Stood the sail up, with that in, and it looks way better, the utmost top isn't flopping or folded over backwards away from wind.

I am going to spray wood piece with acrylic sealer spray paint a few times. Stick it in and either sew or duck tape the end to keep it from poking out and keep water out of baton sleeve, although it seems like it will stay in on it's own.

Gonna re-try sailing if a few days.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling the down haul line by hand may not be enough. Do you have a chanook crank. I sail mostly ezzy and have two wave se. I always use the crank and get to the right shape. I don't pay attention to measurements but do keep an eye on the luff indicators.

As for the top batten adjuster.......sounds like the screw stripped.......happens.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '07 Ezzy Wave 5.5 and it's easy to downhaul to max tension with RDM or SDM masts. Pull harder, batten tensioners do freeze, try rust penetrants.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your other thread about replacing sail panels, you said you have a bunch of older sails.
Why don't you take a batten out of one of those sails and use that to make yourself a new one. A homemade wood batten could easily splinter w/in the batten pocket and you'll never get it out.
Seen any wood battens around? There's a reason for that.
And the above comments about down haul are correct, you need more.
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Ezzy sail rigging problems Reply with quote

Thks all....i downhauled so much and enough and still wasn't getting loose sail top......Also what about the top of the sail.....the 4th batton up to 5th and beyond completely uneffective......just limp, not catching any wind.
Also......i sail a diff rig and board almost every 3 sessions.....i have over 30 sails....and 3 of each size i rotate.......i often get caught out sailing ov'pd......i never have felt such terrible terrible sail movements in any other of my sails in 2 yrs.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the wrong mast or not enough DH.
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....it was correct mast (26 / 19 )......and I down hauled 5 cm past stated limit.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand mast is it? Are the numbers you are showing the stiffness range? If so, that's reveals nothing about the bend curve. A 64/76 bend curve is considered an average middle of the road constant curve mast today.

Checking out the 2013 Unifiber Mast Selector chart, which categorizes masts as hard top, constant curve and flex top, it shows that Ezzy sails requires a mast at the upper end of the constant curve range just before it enters the flex top range. That could be shown as a 64/77 curve, which would equate to a 430cm NoLimitz Original Skinny. Just for the record, NoLimitz manufactures Ezzy masts.

https://www.unifiber.net/en/mast-selector-2013-v2
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the mast head cap at the top of the sail to see if it's set correct and not slipping when you down haul the sail? Most Ezzy's specify the head cap to be set flush with the top of the sail so no mast length extends above the top of the sail. Check all that to make sure you got it set right.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post pictures or a video!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: