myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rigging older Ezzy Wave S.E. Sails ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiethordrum wrote:
Bend Curve.....???
OMG......where is this listed on either mast or sail...?????
Why do i have to learn about this.?
What a fu+÷\×/×/ed up industry.

With 29 boards and 51 sails, How do you even know you have that many ?

The purchase of a sewing machine, wonder how many of those you will collect?

And confusion on downhaul with various extension brands, I wonder if a more simple water sport could be simpler ahhhummmm
Like a canoe

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy sail , simplified rigging .

Insert mast into sleeve. Dont apply outhaul. Downhaul a moderate amount, not full .Position bottom batten with the curve down toward the earth .
Downhaul until the same batten rotates upward towards the moon/sun.

This is the moderate setting for downhaul, approximately 1-2 cm either direction is min and max.

As a matter of curiosity what mast is this your using ?
As a matter of curiosity how many masts do have ?

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others posted, a picture tells one thousand words. The degree of upper batten droop (actually the No. 1 batten as battens are numbered from the head to the foot) may be telling or not, depending on your familiarity with that particular sail in that year. I can't see it so cannot judge.

However, the mast you use is particularly important to how the sail feels as much as it looks. How certain do you feel that you use exactly the right mast? I ask only to address your three complaints and think your mast is too stiff.

1. Overpowered. A sail used in what you describe as overpowered conditions will tend to contact and wrap around the boom at times when the mast is too stiff.

2. Downhaul effort. A stiffer mast requires more force to achieve the same bend as a softer mast.

3. Head twist. Masts bend more toward the top than the bottom regardless of nearly any mast's description (read: 99.99% of windsurfing masts ever made). A mast will first bend more at the top because it is softer at the top. This remains true even if one is stiffer overall than another mast.

Your observations strongly suggest a mast that is too stiff.

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you review the Unifiber mast chart? While it doesn't give the bend curve numbers in the chart, it does illustrate which which sails and masts go together. U2 is right about sail designers dictating which kind of bend curve that they design around. Yet, as you can see in the chart, the greatest majority of sail brands elect to design around the constant curve bend.

Like I mentioned earlier, the 64/76 bend curve is the ideal or middle of the road constant curve mast design. 64 represents the curve ratio of the mast's bottom section, and 76 represents the curve ratio of the mast's top section. Smaller numbers identify a stiffer character, and larger numbers identify a more flexible character. The numbers reflect the deflection or bend measurements when the mast is weighted in specific areas (1/4% and 3/4%). This is different than the overall stiffness of a mast (IMCS), that is generally represented by 30 for a 490cm, 25 for a 460cm, 21 for a 430cm or 19 for a 400cm. Smaller sails require softer masts, and larger sails require stiffer masts. You can check all this out on the following chart offered by Sailworks.

http://www.sailworks.com/pdfs/Sailworks-Mast-Spex.pdf

When buying sails new or used, arguably the best policy is to stick with a quiver of sails from the same manufacturer. That way you can select the optimum mast design to match and work ideally with your sails. This can be done buying the masts designed and recommended by the sail brand, like Neil Pryde brand sails and masts. Or, you can buy masts manufactured by a mast manufacturer like NoLimitz, and then matching them with a sail brand designed around that bend curve, like Sailworks or Northwave sails. Sailworks is a bit unique in that they have Sailworks brand SDM masts for their sails, but they recommend NoLimitz brand masts for their sails using RDMs.

Lastly, the idea that you can buy every sail under the sun and just use it on any old mast is not a good policy. Right now, you're in quite a dilemma with such a huge and varied quiver of sails. I seriously doubt that you've got as many different masts as you do sails and boards. However, with a bit of research and study, you can identify what you really need. Right now, I think it's important for you to rethink the path you've been on, and start being more selective in your buying strategy.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a new quiver of Ezzy's every season and have so since the late 90's. 04's were the only sails I couldn't get to rig right no matter how diligent I was to the rigging specs printed on the sail. I ran into David down in San Carlos and he told me that the printed rigging specs on the sails were off that year, he came up to my camp showed me how to rig my 5.2 after that it was all good sailing going forward. If I remember correctly it was that you needed 5cm more of mast base, but that was 14 years and a lot of beers ago. For me all of the 02-12's needed a mechanical down-haul tool, the extreme down haul is what gave the SE's there shape and balance once that was set correctly the out-haul adjusted the power.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesHardy wrote:
I get a new quiver of Ezzy's every season and have so since the late 90's. 04's were the only sails I couldn't get to rig right no matter how diligent I was to the rigging specs printed on the sail. I ran into David down in San Carlos and he told me that the printed rigging specs on the sails were off that year, he came up to my camp showed me how to rig my 5.2 after that it was all good sailing going forward. If I remember correctly it was that you needed 5cm more of mast base, but that was 14 years and a lot of beers ago. For me all of the 02-12's needed a mechanical down-haul tool, the extreme down haul is what gave the SE's there shape and balance once that was set correctly the out-haul adjusted the power.

I remember a year that is what you have described . A UK magazine tested Ezzy that year and found the same issues.

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why such reliance on printed specs?
You KNOW what the rigged sail is supposed to look like.
Now look at the wind and decide for yourself, what final tuning is needed.
Max downhauling on Ezzy's is around the lower 300 lbs. range, more for +7.5's. That,s about 100 lbs. less than what is needed for modern slalom sails.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Why such reliance on printed specs?
You KNOW what the rigged sail is supposed to look like.
Now look at the wind and decide for yourself, what final tuning is needed.

Funny if it was any other sail brand out there I would say yep but Ezzy's are a horse of different color, especially the SE's. The depth the tension curved battens gave the sail hard made it hard to determine if it was rigged right on the beach. IMO.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said sail is excellent, but batten adjustor is locked. Said to have correct mast, but doesn’t say what it is.

I feel this and other treads are a hoax .
If just and true, he needs more help than I can provide .

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigging.
LOOK at the downhaul mark.
Physically push down on COE 4th batten to see how
much outhaul you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: