myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast Extension minimum measurements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Mast Extension minimum measurements Reply with quote

Can anyone help explain bow i measure my total luff to match stated sail downhaul recommendations.
1st hole on a Chinook mast ext is what ?
Where do i measure from on downhaulnrollers rollers.?
Do different base connection types need different measurements?
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different Chinook extensions have slightly different distances for the lowest setting, depending on how old, RDM, SDM. (guessing 8-11 cm) It is supposedly the distance to the top of pulleys, its never quite accurate to the printed mark, but downhauling a sail correctly is not exact to printed dimensions. Good starting point IF it is the correct mast.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than getting too tied up in measurement markings, it's best to look at the sail and see how downhaul affects its shape. Most sail designers craft sails to work well over a general range covering light, medium and strong winds. Downhaul adjustment makes it all a reality.

To give yourself easy adjustment and a very fine tuning capability, get a Chinook winch. It makes achieving the perfect setting a breeze, and you don't have to get down on the ground to do it.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
To give yourself easy adjustment and a very fine tuning capability, get a Chinook winch. It makes achieving the perfect setting a breeze, and you don't have to get down on the ground to do it.

Good suggestion. Making tuning easy is a must. If it's hard, you won't make smaller adjustments, and those smaller adjustments can make a real difference. Other ways to make downhauling easier is to learn the threading pattern included in this blog post, and switching your downhaul line to Spectra/formuline. It downhauls much more easily.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/03/easier_downhaul.html

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanna know mauisails used to measure it ??

https://www.mauisails.com/video/67
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chinook winch has made me such a wimp i even use it to decleat the downhaul when derigging. I dont want to get on the ground, strain my back, rip up my hands....
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
Rather than getting too tied up in measurement markings, it's best to look at the sail and see how downhaul affects its shape. Most sail designers craft sails to work well over a general range covering light, medium and strong winds. Downhaul adjustment makes it all a reality.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: